The radio net .

GHA

Visit site
I'm familiar with the Caribbean radio nets but I didn't think they were marina-specific but were SSB and covered a much wider area than can be covered by VHF.

Richard
Various VHF nets around as well. Wherever there are bedsheet sized stars and strips ensigns ;)

Chaguaramas springs to mind, Grenada as well from memory.

KellysEye

www.kellyseye.net
>I'm familiar with the Caribbean radio nets but I didn't think they were marina-specific but were SSB and covered a much wider area than can be covered by VHF.

SSB radio nets like the OPs post are in many Caribbean marinas memorable ones, because I did the weather, were Trinidad, Puerto La Cruz Venezuela and Spanish Waters Curacao. There are daily weather forecasts on SSB ham frequencies from Trinidad and the USVIs at different times early morning.

capnsensible

Visit site
Seems to me these 'Nets' suit a certain type of Klingon. The one in Antigua was often witty. The one in St Maarten too. But as for the rest........good grief.

Sorry, but slightly sad.

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
>I'm familiar with the Caribbean radio nets but I didn't think they were marina-specific but were SSB and covered a much wider area than can be covered by VHF.

SSB radio nets like the OPs post are in many Caribbean marinas memorable ones, because I did the weather, were Trinidad, Puerto La Cruz Venezuela and Spanish Waters Curacao. There are daily weather forecasts on SSB ham frequencies from Trinidad and the USVIs at different times early morning.

I'm now totally confused as I thought Vic (the OP) was talking about a VHF net rather than an SSB net. :confused:

Richard

chinita

Visit site
Ok, I'll bite. ;)

This year another attempt has been made to start a radio net in Agios Nikolaos marina, and this in a small marina with only four pontoons. As far as I know very few people are listening to it.

Oh, I can beat that!

Back in June 2006 we visited Club Nautico de Seville. On arrival we were told by a chap of the Teutonic persuasion all about the 'net'.

We duly listened in to the usual stuff.

After a couple of days we realised that we were the only occupied boat in the marina (apart from the aforesaid resident). No liveaboards, no visitors, no locals..........

SamanthaTabs

Visit site
It's a bit monotonous but can be worthwhile if needing to borrow tools or get help fixing something. The bit that makes me laugh is when cruisers switch to another channel, some sad individuals swop channels to listen in. :confused:
Oh well, very soon we'll all be out of the small village atmosphere :encouragement: