The radio net .

sailaboutvic

Visit site
It's Easter Sunday and like any other Sunday there isn't a radio net .
Live aboard have a love or hurt relationship with the Radio net in the Marina .
I will leave it to you to guess how I feel about .
Has usually it starts with the controller asking for a radio check , within second someone inform him /her , they are loud and clear ,
this is followed by asking if any one have any objecting to use the channel , it's at this point I wait in suspense to see if any one does , but in all the years I been living on a boat not once have any one objected .
This leads on to any Emergencies , safely or Marina issue , here I have ask myself what's the point of this , there you are having an heart Attack , you just cut off you finger or even worst you just caught your private part in your zipper ,
Then waiting till The morning net to ask for help , mind you I not too sure if any of us would ask for help with the zipper and when it comes to safely or Marina issue , surly if next door jib have come unfurled or a mooring line had snapped in last night blow you would get off your ass and do some thing about and not wait to report it
and when it comes down to complaining about the Marina that's a big no no , just to be told by the controller to take it up with the Marina what do you expect him to do about it , so why ask if there any issues .
With that out of the way Then come the all important part , the weather report ,
So imagine you sitting in you cockpit blue sky over head and a nice light breeze or your sitting down below a gale blowing and it piss down and some one come on the radio just to tell you what you have known for some hour , better still , when it come to reporting wind speed " I registered 35 kts " before the next one come on to say he had 45 kts it doesn't stop there some one else has to pitch in with even more stronger winds speed .
Has yachtsmen and women we spend most of the year figuring out what the weather going to do while out at sea and now while our boats are safely Velcro to floating pontoons we wait in suspense to be told by other what the weather doing only to hit the keyboard minutes later to check if they right .
Then it come to the social events , now I have to say I got very excited the first time I heard the Marina held and happy hookers all sort ran through my head , I even try to Persuade my partner to go off for the day so I could go and see what all this was about , only to be very disappointed to find it was some of our lovely lady's doing needle work , but not all is doom and gloom Happy hour Friday night , MY GOD how many time have we got to be told , considering most of us sailors like a drink or two surly once or twice is more then enough , to be told day after day there an happy hour on a set day , do we rely on the drink that much that we have to be reminded day after day , it seems that we been brain washed that even when we meet friend the conversation end with us been told , " don't forget happy hour on a Friday night "
this goes on for next six months , by which time the bar owner has brought a new Porsche and a BMW for the wife with our help
Then come the best bit , treasure of the bilge , who can resist buy someone else rubbish , every thing from odd bits of cable , the latest toy that don't work as well as it been advertise or an anchor that been rusting in the locker while the new one shine on the bow although some good bargains are to be snapped up .
Spin dryer , washing machine air condition unit ., all handy stuff to keep for the next pontoon boot sale .
In the end the day controller reports he / she his shutting down the net , to keep off the Marina channel and only use 77 to call on and then turn to a different channel .
It all goes silent and the net is over for another day .
Oh how one does love the morning NET .

Last edited:

sailaboutvic

Visit site
I have only responded once: '..... And now we move onto lost and found.' Me: 'I have lost the will to live.' They blamed it on some bloke called Gunther.
Oh yes , I did miss out lost and found . But then I am offen lost after the happy hour and my beloved other half try's her best to keep me lost .

Tony Cross

Visit site
I completely agree, especially in small marinas, like the one wot I'm in. Personally I think the radio net appeals to those who desperately wanted to be a radio presenter but lack either the voice or the talent.

I understand why Marmaris has a combined radio net, the two main marinas are a long way apart, but when we were last cruising past Marmaris at net time every single working channel was occupied by marina residents discussing all sorts of rubbish. As it happened we had no need to talk to the yachts cruising with us, which was just as well because we simply couldn't!

Monique

Visit site
Too much free time Vic? Knowing both you and your sweetie, it is normal that she'd keep you lost!!

:) I'll talk to you next Friday.... :)