The pointy bow... About to be consigned to history?

MikeBz

Visit site
A 90 foot scow was proposed for an attempt on the Transpac record 8 years ago: Ugly - but fast? - Yachting World

Scow.png

It's amazing how long it took the Mini class to catch on David Raison's idea. He designed a successful in Class 40 scow last year: Transat Jacques Vabre. Ian Lipinski et Adrien Hardy, grands vainqueurs en Class40

MjAxOTExN2FjYjliOTI5N2VmNjY5ZTU4NTViN2ZjYzc1OTQwMjg

D

Deleted member 36384

Ten Cate Windsurfer springs to mind. I remember learning to windsurf on a variant of this and the constant slapping as the blunt bow, slightly raised allowed the water to slap under the board.

flaming

Visit site
A 90 foot scow was proposed for an attempt on the Transpac record 8 years ago: Ugly - but fast? - Yachting World

Scow.png

It's amazing how long it took the Mini class to catch on David Raison's idea. He designed a successful in Class 40 scow last year: Transat Jacques Vabre. Ian Lipinski et Adrien Hardy, grands vainqueurs en Class40

MjAxOTExN2FjYjliOTI5N2VmNjY5ZTU4NTViN2ZjYzc1OTQwMjg

Ah, but the reason for my post was not the fast boats, but the start of the crossover into cruising designs.

Already designers are shoving a lot of volume into the bow, how long before a mainstream yard goes full scow...?

D

Deleted member 36384

We all know that many ideas from racing have crossed over to cruising so I guess this will as well. There are obvious advantages around the 40' mark in that owners cabins at the bow could offer greater volume while still keeping the weight down. The awkward shape of sterns with cockpits and stern gear more suited for twin guest cabins. I can also see stuff like the Garcia design of anchor windlass moving back so that chain falls into the middle of the boat. Greater storage solutions in the beams and better office areas / saloon / galleys in the space freed up by having sleeping areas nearer the ends of the boat i.e. big boat layouts in smaller LOAs.

MikeBz

Visit site
Good point. My boat has two pointy ends which leaves me in a state of permanent confusion.

But at least your boat is attractive.

I've been watching the Sailing Frenchman YouTube channel recently and he has one of these ready for the Mini Transat:
Kiraucassis - Mini Maxi 650
Funny looking but it sure flies over the water!

David Raison's scow designs have been winning races in the Mini 650 class since 2010 (albeit that they didn't have foils then) - here is the first one from that year: First images of David Raison’s Magnum

Ah, but the reason for my post was not the fast boats, but the start of the crossover into cruising designs.
Already designers are shoving a lot of volume into the bow, how long before a mainstream yard goes full scow...?

Yes, fair point. They are certainly trending in that direction - the latest Sun Odyssey 410 and 440 are very full and slab-sided in the bow which allows a double berth with space either side. A lot of the mainstream cruising boats now carry max beam all the way to the transom and pretty much all have chines to give more interior width. Take this to its logical conclusion and you end up with a rectangular box - and we're pretty much back at the Thames Barge.

Other threads that may be of interest