Bristol

Bristolfashion

Visit site
A bit of a gush, but our first visit to Bristol was just spectacular - it's a really great sail from Portishead to the floating harbour - the gorge, the suspension bridge - the harbour is full of interest and the pontoons outside the Arnolfini excellent. If you're happy with a lively location it's the place to be. Excellent eating out , coffee, markets, arts and all the rest. Walk right around the harbour and take in the history, Wapping Wharf, Under fall Yard, the Nova Scotia pub and all the rest.

The harbour staff are excellent and very helpful.

I'd commend this trip to any cruiser.

Marsali_1

Visit site
The original post reminded me of a question I had with regards to security of visitor moorings in the Floating Harbour. I know that the Arnolfini pontoons are behind a locked gate, as are the marina pontoons but I am wondering about the pontoons in Harbour Inlet across from the SS Great Britain. If a boat is left there unattended, how safe is it from interference since the pontoons appear to have unrestricted access to the public? Is anyone aware of any issues that have occurred with boats left unattended overnight on those pontoons? The reason I ask is that I am contemplating a visit to the harbour and using the boat as a base for trips by train to explore nearby places. At least one of my trips likely would involve being away from the boat overnight and, on my return, I would like to find the boat as I left her. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Corribee Boy

Visit site
Even the Arnolfini pontoons aren't safe from drunken midnight would-be thieves swimming across from the harbourside. A friend had to chase some out of his saloon last summer.

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
The original post reminded me of a question I had with regards to security of visitor moorings in the Floating Harbour. I know that the Arnolfini pontoons are behind a locked gate, as are the marina pontoons but I am wondering about the pontoons in Harbour Inlet across from the SS Great Britain. If a boat is left there unattended, how safe is it from interference since the pontoons appear to have unrestricted access to the public? Is anyone aware of any issues that have occurred with boats left unattended overnight on those pontoons? The reason I ask is that I am contemplating a visit to the harbour and using the boat as a base for trips by train to explore nearby places. At least one of my trips likely would involve being away from the boat overnight and, on my return, I would like to find the boat as I left her. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
They mostly steal bicycles not boats. Safest from theft is a busy spot, safest from litter or yobs crawling on boat is a quieter spot.

I dont know if you are allowed to moor along the north wharf by the ex coast guard patrol boat and Noble masts. Access hard without a ladder which gives some security.

Boats unattended on moorings at Chapel Pill and Uphill have been targetted - the former by personal watercraft users from Shirehampton.

Hard to evaluate risk in bristol but would think its mostly nighttime. Hide chart plotter and radio under bunk perhaps? Plenty of boats permanently on Redcliffe Wharf without any security.

Last edited:

Bristolfashion

Visit site
They mostly steal bicycles not boats. Safest from theft is a busy spot, safest from litter or yobs crawling on boat is a quieter spot.

I dont know if you are allowed to moor along the north wharf by the ex coast guard patrol boat and Noble masts. Access hard without a ladder which gives some security.

Boats unattended on moorings at Chapel Pill and Uphill have been targetted - the former by personal watercraft users from Shirehampton.

Hard to evaluate risk in bristol but would think its mostly nighttime. Hide chart plotter and radio under bunk perhaps? Plenty of boats permanently on Redcliffe Wharf without any security.

The new fees are extortionate. Pure desparation and greed from a failing council who spent £25 millions fiddling with a roundabout but want boaters and allotment holders to pay their overdraft
In our humble opinion, the fees for visiting Bristol for 2 weeks (£174), including 4 swung bridges (Plimsoll & Junction bridges each on the way in and out) was WAY too cheap. £12.50 odd a night! Frankly, twice as much would not have been unreasonable.

Rather than being a "cash cow", the independent review of Bristol harbour shows that it is in deficit and, even with the proposed increases, will not have quite reached break even by the 5th year of the financial projection. If we want these facilities to remain, we have to pay - no organisation, public or private can find a deficit forever. If any criticism could be levelled, it is that adequate, regular fee increases have not been implemented in the past.

If you don't mind, we should keep this thread to matters pertaining to boating & the harbour, general criticism or discussion of Bristol Council's policies may result in yet another thread (which is highly relevant to boating) being shut down.

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
In our humble opinion, the fees for visiting Bristol for 2 weeks (£174), including 4 swung bridges (Plimsoll & Junction bridges each on the way in and out) was WAY too cheap. £12.50 odd a night! Frankly, twice as much would not have been unreasonable.

Rather than being a "cash cow", the independent review of Bristol harbour shows that it is in deficit and, even with the proposed increases, will not have quite reached break even by the 5th year of the financial projection. If we want these facilities to remain, we have to pay - no organisation, public or private can find a deficit forever. If any criticism could be levelled, it is that adequate, regular fee increases have not been implemented in the past.

If you don't mind, we should keep this thread to matters pertaining to boating & the harbour, general criticism or discussion of Bristol Council's policies may result in yet another thread (which is highly relevant to boating) being shut down.
I will amend my post, though liveaboard and other boater opinions are very strong on the issue.

Bristolfashion

Visit site
I will amend my post, though liveaboard and other boater opinions are very strong on the issue.
Sorry - I think that matters pertaining directly to the harbour are ok (including pricing), but wider political or council issues (such as allotments or council funding & management) may attract the attention of the mods.

Hopefully we can still discuss genuine boating concerns - it's a tough issue - the boaters don't like the fee increases but the harbour can't stay in deficit.

Bristolfashion

Visit site
The Underfall Yard is open to pedestrians again. Volunteers are demonstrating the machines that were/still are used for lock maintenance and replacement. Pay what you can basis.
Yes, it was so nice to be able to stroll through the Underfall Yard - on the way to the excellent Nova Scotia pub (which will hopefully retain its character under the new management)