the nature of a forum

oldvarnish

Visit site
I was reading a current thread where it was being suggested to the OP that he would have gleaned more information by doing a search than he would if he'd started a new thread on the subject that interested him.

I may have got hold of the wrong end of the stick; but surely a forum such as this is not a sacred reference library. It is where we come to rest our elbows on the bar and have a chat about what is on our mind. It doesn't matter how often the same old subjects repeat themselves. That is the nature of chat.

I wouldn't expect to drop into a pub, ask 'who won the match?', and be directed to Google. So why here?

skodster

Visit site
That bugs me too.

Some forum smartarse (who probably knows the answer anyway) goes into passive aggressive mode and tells you that the question has been asked many times and you should be looking somewhere in amongst the other 20,000 threads instead of 'making' him respond to your inane questions.

They seem to miss the point that the forum is an interaction between like minded folks and not some sort of reference library where they are the 'librarian and you need to be a bit quieter. :mad:

Quidi Vidi

Visit site
That bugs me too.

Some forum smartarse (who probably knows the answer anyway) goes into passive aggressive mode and tells you that the question has been asked many times and you should be looking somewhere in amongst the other 20,000 threads instead of 'making' him respond to your inane questions.

They seem to miss the point that the forum is an interaction between like minded folks and not some sort of reference library where they are the 'librarian and you need to be a bit quieter. :mad:

Well said sir, how many people (especially newbies) must have been put off asking a question or perhaps even answering one on the forum.

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
The forum search facility is rubbish I'm afraid!

There is a way of using the Google search engine to search the YBW forums which is much better but I can never remember the syntax so that's not much use either.

The best course of action is to either help the OP or post a link to a relevant thread if you can't be bothered to repeat something you said once before!

Richard

pvb

Visit site
I tried searching for a specific topic yesterday. Got lots of interesting results, but nothing like what I was seeking. :mad:

How anyone finds anything they are looking for completely beats me.

The forum search system is very poor. The answer is to use Google to search the forums by prefacing your Google search with site:ybw.com/forums - this will search all forums except The Lounge. You can then use the usual Google search controls to look for phrases, etc.

BrendanS

Visit site

I shouldn't post links to some of the 12,345 threads on this subject on here then? :)

saltylegs

Visit site
I was reading a current thread where it was being suggested to the OP that he would have gleaned more information by doing a search than he would if he'd started a new thread on the subject that interested him.

I may have got hold of the wrong end of the stick; but surely a forum such as this is not a sacred reference library. It is where we come to rest our elbows on the bar and have a chat about what is on our mind. It doesn't matter how often the same old subjects repeat themselves. That is the nature of chat.

I wouldn't expect to drop into a pub, ask 'who won the match?', and be directed to Google. So why here?

+1+1+1
Google is all well and good but surely this is the place where you can ask your "mates" stupid questions and since they are your "mates" you don't expect them to turn around and say "are you thick, just google it".

sailorman

Visit site

So wot anchor do you use for your world cruising then. come on tell us :)

Mr Cassandra

Visit site

Quite right
Its sad to read the put downs,from the perceived clever persons ,that now post

jcpa

Visit site
oldvarnish said:

saltylegs said:
+1+1+1
Google is all well and good but surely this is the place where you can ask your "mates" stupid questions and since they are your "mates" you don't expect them to turn around and say "are you thick, just google it".

Ditto

CAPTAIN FANTASTIC

Visit site

+1 Well said

Vara

Visit site
Yep your absolutely right, that sort of attitude has always pissed me off.
Things change, people find new ways of doing old things, new products are always appearing.

The only way to keep things moving forward is to keep airing the old subjects and subjecting them to scrutiny.

Honey Trap

Visit site
+1 Old Varnish

There are so many great things about this forum not least the speed with which I today received several very informative replies to my question about Standard Horizon and NMEA protocols.

At its best this forum, and the other ybw fora are an asset of unmeasurable value but at their worst............... I divorced my first SWMBO for less:D

Smiles rather than frowns

Frank

www.facebook.com
I think some people tend to forget that whilst folks may be a Newbie to this (or any other forum) they are not neccessarily new to Forums (or the internet?!) in general......IME tend to find folks who are serious Forum regulars can become a tad ghettoised (yeah, I think I just invented that word - cool, eh :cool:)......but nonetheless they can be useful and helpful. or just a PITA :eek:

theoldsalt

Visit site
Great if people have genuinely tried to find answers to their problems themselves and come here as a last resort but unfortunately there are the lazy that can't even be bothered to search google but post here and sit back picking others brains and letting other do all the hard work. Many can't even be bothered to thank forumites for helping they post a question then disappear into the mist. For all we know they don't even bother reading the replies.

That's what anoys many otherwise helpful contributors.