The many forms of butyl tape/sealant

chrisparr

Visit site
Hi,

I'm looking to add some deck fittings and after seeing several videos on YouTube, I'm going to use butyl tape to seal.

So I went online to find some and became very confused. I can see loads of rolls of butyl tape described as a double sided tape. I've seen it shown as a sticky cord to go around a window. Nothing that seems to correspond to what I've seen on videos where it seems very effective. I'm not after a roll of double sided tape

What I'm looking for as butyl tape is a roll that you can pull a chunk off of, and it can be manipulated like putty to mould around holes, screws and bolts. Excess can be stripped away and reused. When fittings are tightened to the deck, this will extrude out as pressure is applied (and removed).

Does anyone know what I'm talking about, and can advise what to buy (ideally posting a link)?

There is a channel on Youtube called Follow the Boat that uses it. A couple of videos showing it are as follows:
(forward to 2 minutes and 5 seconds)

Can anyone advise?

Thanks in advance

rotrax

Visit site
The butyl tape I use extensively here and in NZ comes in a roll but separated with a cover one side and a shiny liner so the roll does not became an amalgamated lump.

I chose black 25mm x 3mm for sealing acrilic windows direct to a steel hull. I rolled thin lengths out and wrapped under washers and screw heads.

I have no leaks.

The best part is the ease of clean up. Trim the extruded material with a craft knife and peel away.

Rappey

Visit site
Toolstation sell a roll, described as double sided butyl tape. 50mm x 10m.
That £10 roll should last a lifetime and it is what you are looking for.
It just seems strange describing it as double sided when it's the same all the way through.
It is very sticky but great stuff

andyc352

Visit site
Hi,

I'm looking to add some deck fittings and after seeing several videos on YouTube, I'm going to use butyl tape to seal.

So I went online to find some and became very confused. I can see loads of rolls of butyl tape described as a double sided tape. I've seen it shown as a sticky cord to go around a window. Nothing that seems to correspond to what I've seen on videos where it seems very effective. I'm not after a roll of double sided tape

What I'm looking for as butyl tape is a roll that you can pull a chunk off of, and it can be manipulated like putty to mould around holes, screws and bolts. Excess can be stripped away and reused. When fittings are tightened to the deck, this will extrude out as pressure is applied (and removed).

Does anyone know what I'm talking about, and can advise what to buy (ideally posting a link)?

There is a channel on Youtube called Follow the Boat that uses it. A couple of videos showing it are as follows:

Can anyone advise?

Thanks in advance

This is what you want. Available in black or white and various widths and thicknesses. I find 3mm thick is perfect for deck fittings.

White Arboseal GZ Butyl Glazing Tape, 15mm x 3mm

differentroads

blog.offbeatsadventures.com
Oh, and beware of white and even grey. The one downside of butyl tape I've found is that it picks up specs of dirt and looks grubby around fittings. This shows up on white and grey but not so much on black.
That said, I use grey on deck fittings because black shows a line under them. At any rate, its a price worth paying for its sealing properties imho

Nasher

www.simonnash.co.uk
Toolstation sell a roll, described as double sided butyl tape. 50mm x 10m.

That is exactly what I wanted to buy last Friday, but it's out of stock at every Toolstation for many miles from me.
As I needed it for the same day I dropped in to the marine Superstore at Port Solent to see what they had.

Wanting to avoid Sikaflex because of it's adhesive properties I ended up with a tube of Butyl sealant that goes in a gun, like Sikoflex, However it's not on their website and I can't remember the make.

I know it is a far more expensive option, and won't last long once opened, but it was really easy to put around bolt holes and other tight spaces I needed it to go in.

I'll have a look in my garage later and find a link.

Nasher.

penberth3

Visit site
…..It just seems strange describing it as double sided when it's the same all the way through.
It is very sticky but great stuff

There is tape with a backing on one side - paper plastic or metal foil - which could be described as single-sided butyl.

Spirit (of Glenans)

Visit site
Hi,

Can anyone advise?

Thanks in advance
Thanks for starting this thread. I too have been converted to butyl but have been similarly confused by the results of my Google searches.

cherod

Visit site
i too have been " converted " ,, but it does have its limitations, it is no use for screwed fittings :(

Zagato

Visit site
Was also searching for butyl strips and butyl out of a gun too seal my stantions with butyl strips and seal my mast base plate with runny stuff out of a gun as advised by a boat builder.

Keith-i

Visit site
I ended up with a tube of Butyl sealant that goes in a gun, like Sikoflex, However it's not on their website and I can't remember the make.

I know it is a far more expensive option, and won't last long once opened,
In fact, it should last pretty well in a tube as it is principally non-setting although it does dry out a bit over time and become hard to squeeze out. The well known version is Arbomast BR.

Rappey

Visit site
i too have been " converted " ,, but it does have its limitations, it is no use for screwed fittings :(
If you countersink the surface under the fitting the butyl is compressed around the screw as it beds down .