Building a Battery Box

Neeves

Visit site
Not everyone is 'perfect' .....
For my batteries and bus bars I used a small diameter plastic water pipe and cut a section out lengthwise enough to fit over the battery terminals and all the terminals on each bus bar. No terminals are exposed. But under the covers I have each terminal covered with a silicone sleeves (sort of like silicone sewing thimbles).

Its really not difficult, whether its perfect - no idea.

Jonathan

William_H

Visit site
As a trainee telephone tech 60 years ago I was warned of the dangers of metal watch band and to a less degree wedding rings when working with high current capability wiring. I have stayed clear of both ever since.
Regarding the box. Op needs to work out where the loads are going to be on the structure. Support for the down ward loads would be priority but also strength top take weight in an inversion. (Perish the thought) The box itself need not be so strong or as suggested even not needed.
So extra glass where mounting bolts are fitted. etc. ol'will

Stemar

Visit site
In the event of an inversion, the batteries getting loose will be the least of my worries! The boat will be a write-off, and I'll be rather busy trying not to get written off myself.

AFAIK, no one's ever succeeded in flying a hull on a Catalac, let alone tipping one over - they're chunky beasts.

iu

I've got a timber reinforcement to take the bolts and foam elsewhere to give rigidity. I'm just a few layers in - more to do today, and it's already pretty strong.

Battery box.jpg