The lovely Sam - disaster strikes!

flaming

Visit site
You are evil.

I had my heart in my mouth waiting for that to open!

Although the lack of tea on board would definitely slow me down!

Becky

Visit site
Oh come on guys. That IS a disaster!!

But only in the culinary department /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Love the video of her drying her hair the most! Could have done with something like that on Cornish Maid. Would really have made life easy /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Judders

Visit site
Christ, now that is serious.

We can all learn from this. Is that a pan-pan situation or a mayday?

Personally I am going to make sure I have a lid for the saucepan in future to cover just such a scenario as this.

sarabande

Visit site
agreed, every boat must have a contingency plan for Loss of Kettle.

The forum has done rather well on checklists, but I feel we should hang our heads in collective shame that no-one, NO-ONE, has listed
"Check that kettle has a fail safe Manual Lifting and Depositing system"

Should be part of the RYA Basic Crew course IMHO

A neat illustration of how a small SPOF (Single Point of Failure) can have far-reaching consequences, though.

Danny Jo

Visit site
Come off it guys! You are revealing your misanthropic prejudices. Take a closer look - repair of that kettle is well within her capabilities. You don't need a degree in engineering. And Becky, you fell for it - what can I say?

Danny Jo

Visit site
Oh shucks, Gwylan. We seem to have killed this thread - what we need is a tongue-in-cheek smiley - this one doesn't really fit the bill /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

benjenbav

Visit site
Looking at the race-map I was initially confused by the "distance to 1er" and "distance to finish" figures which are different for Sam.

It would seem that now that Desjoyeaux has finished the "distance to 1er" is the distance to the leading boat still sailing. That is, apart from the second place sailor - Armel Le Cléac’h: crazy name; crazy guy?

I was, incidentally, very glad to note that Cape of Good Hope translates pretty literally as "Cap de Bonne Espérance"