The Forum Burgee.

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Henry, you want your own way, regardless of other peoples opinions.

Obviously democracy is not your thing.

I am not going to get my guy involved in a trade war.

So carry on, do your own thing, I'm out of it.

Wandering Star

Visit site
I'm sorry you are now resorting to making disparaging remarks, regarding to my intentions in this debate.

I don't feel the need to defend myself against your comments, as you've put things on this level.

As such I'm bowing out of the debate.
Bit unfair - you just tried to trash HenryF by taking and using his remarks out of context and when HenryF points this out you throw your toys out of the pram. And I'm not particularly for or against either the original or redesigned flag, just a bit one sided to make your point then be pissed off with HenryF making his point too.

henryf

www.911virgin.com
Henry, you want your own way, regardless of other peoples opinions.

Obviously democracy is not your thing.

I am not going to get my guy involved in a trade war.

So carry on, do your own thing, I'm out of it.

Haydn

I'm genuinely not out to make money on this. I want to help people get hold of your original burgee design in a better quality than currently exists. I do listen, and I do take note, that's why I am going to try and carry on the distribution of the mouse rather than just design and promote an alternative. I am not going to artificially limit the number of mouse burgees or try and kill it off stealthily. Enough people have seen my posts on here to rap me on the knuckles if I try :)

Ultimately it has to be available via the web otherwise people just won't buy it. I don't make the rules it's just how it is these days.

You and I aren't so different. We both share a love for the forum and want to see it prosper.

I'll keep you posted as to how things go.

All the best

Henry :)

laika

Visit site
Have to say I feel a bit hard-done-by by all the people saying the newly-made burgees are ****, without ever having actually seen one.

I'd like to re-iterate my thanks to Pete for giving his time and finances to continue the availability of the burgee. Perhaps I'm not a connoisseur of needlework but it's as good as my owners' association burgee. Perhaps I'm less concerned than most about the edges being embroidered with spun unicorn hair when the thing is 8m above the deck and out in all weathers. hmm... bit of dynema or kevlar or something on the other hand....

If I see Pete in the coming months I hope to make partial amends for his losses in intoxicating beverages.

Vara

Visit site
On PRVs version the artwork is exactly the same as the original burgee, the base colour is the same, the only major difference is the gold braided border, it is also properly rigged for a flag halyard.

My original HLB supplied burgee is now suffering from severe fatigue of the braid, a distressed end and has faded and cos of its construction does not fly terribly well, This in contrast to my Liverpool ensigns supplied ASA burgee which is showing no signs of distress and streams nicely.

I think that it's important that Boatone's base design is preserved. A more accessible ordering system than the one Liverpool ensigns offer would be welcome.

The answer might be a printed burgee on polyester which should come out at about a tenner and so be far more attractive to more people...certainly on a sailing boat at > 5m from the eye the lower quality would not be an issue.

The aim surely is to get loads of burgees flying, and therefore foster comradeship.

All this bickering is so unseemly.

Phill

Visit site
I'd like to re-iterate my thanks to Pete for giving his time and finances to continue the availability of the burgee. Perhaps I'm not a connoisseur of needlework but it's as good as my owners' association burgee. Perhaps I'm less concerned than most about the edges being embroidered with spun unicorn hair when the thing is 8m above the deck and out in all weathers. hmm... bit of dynema or kevlar or something on the other hand....

If I see Pete in the coming months I hope to make partial amends for his losses in intoxicating beverages.

+1. I bought one of Pete's and am very happy with it. I fly it on the Upper Thames with pride and am thankful that Pete made the effort to carry on what HLB started.
I'm in the "if it ain't broke" camp regarding a new flag design and hope to see more out and about in the future after all this publicity.

MrB

Visit site
Another way at looking at it is.....

A:Original Burgee : Looks nice, well made BUT... Probably more fit as an ornament than a working burgee as it fades quickly and falls apart quickly (not my findings, just what everyone has typed in this post about them) and the graphic needs to be bolder and a little bigger. (IMHO)

1stBurgee_zps0126264b.jpg

B: Ensign Flags Burgee : I think the camera angle is making this one look a little wrong and the colour looks different. (see C)

EnsignFlagsBurgee_zps9211949f.jpg

C: Petes Burgee : I am guessing B&C are the same Burgee, C just looks better than B. It looks fit for purpose, The graphic is nice and bold so it will be easier to see from a distance and looks to be more weather resistant. (read "Fit for purpose")

PetesBurgee_zps6e02a85e.jpg

As most people like a spare why not have one of each. Petes burgee for for everyday use and while moving so it's easier to see and the fancy original for when stationary and special occasions. It's a win win situation. :D :cool: :encouragement:

rbcoomer

www.swfbr.org.uk

+1 :encouragement:

Liz_I

Visit site
On PRVs version the artwork is exactly the same as the original burgee, the base colour is the same, the only major difference is the gold braided border, it is also properly rigged for a flag halyard.

My original HLB supplied burgee is now suffering from severe fatigue of the braid, a distressed end and has faded and cos of its construction does not fly terribly well, This in contrast to my Liverpool ensigns supplied ASA burgee which is showing no signs of distress and streams nicely.

I think that it's important that Boatone's base design is preserved. A more accessible ordering system than the one Liverpool ensigns offer would be welcome.

The answer might be a printed burgee on polyester which should come out at about a tenner and so be far more attractive to more people...certainly on a sailing boat at > 5m from the eye the lower quality would not be an issue.

The aim surely is to get loads of burgees flying, and therefore foster comradeship.

All this bickering is so unseemly.

Any of the polyester flags last for one season only. The UV gets to them, they look cheap and are cheap. The original is double thickness and well made. Yes, I'd agree it does fade but no faster than the poly job falling apart after a few hours sun and some wind. Toggles, for goodness sake. They are freely available and it's not rocket science to attach a toggle to a piece of string!

ICTM

Visit site
Henry, thanks for your efforts.
It's good to see that you are willing to make the effort to move things forward as well as meeting the needs of the traditions that many hold dear. The criticism you have been subject to from certain quarters is, in my view, completely unjustified.
But what do I know, I'm just a newbie........

hlb

RIP
Visit site
It's good to see that you are willing to make the effort to move things forward as well as meeting the needs of the traditions that many hold dear. The criticism you have been subject to from certain quarters is, in my view, completely unjustified.

This is my last post on the subject. Henry has operated like the fat bloke on the "Where There Is Blame There Is A Claim" advert. His arguments are like a revolving door. First he wanted to make his own flag in competition. When that did not work he wanted to make both. Yet we still have no evidence of his contribution. The flag belongs to a club, not any one person. It is not nor can it be an MBY flag. That would require MBY's permeation, MBY is aware and agrees that it is our flag but are happy to show it on their stands.

The decision of a flag, which flag or how it is sold, is for the forum to decide. It defiantly is not Henrys. A lot of smoke and mirrors have been used. Saying that owners of the flag were regulated. Well yes, to the point that you had to be a forum member, or you would not be able to buy one. Cos you would not have known anything about it. Nothing against on line purchase, It was not available at the time, though it does throw doubts on, who is a member??

The big problem is, Henry has just muscled him self in, with no regard to the forum or it's views. Is that not what Hitler did.

Anyway, like I said, I am out of it.

P4Paul

Visit site

Plus 1.

What started out in the first post as a look at what makes this forum great has since broken down into a fantastic example of why it needs to change.