The demise of the CCC Sailing Directions

Quandary

Visit site
Imray have announced that they will take over publication of the Clyde Cruising Club Directions and merge them with their series of Martin Lawrence pilot books. The first publication in the new series will cover the Clyde (and the Irish Sea coasts around it as before) It is to be on sale in January to coincide with the Boat Show at £27.50 so if it contains as much info. on anchorages and passage making as CCC gave, it should still be good value.
I suppose it was inevitable that CCC would give it up sometime; but I will hold on to my old ones as I liked the format and the local knowledge gleaned from their members over the years was unsurpassed.

Mark-1

Visit site
Imray have announced that they will take over publication of the Clyde Cruising Club Directions and merge them with their series of Martin Lawrence pilot books. The first publication in the new series will cover the Clyde (and the Irish Sea coasts around it as before) It is to be on sale in January to coincide with the Boat Show at £27.50 so if it contains as much info. on anchorages and passage making as CCC gave, it should still be good value.
I suppose it was inevitable that CCC would give it up sometime; but I will hold on to my old ones as I liked the format and the local knowledge gleaned from their members over the years was unsurpassed.

Shame. I thought Martin Lawrence had swallowed the Anchor. Or are other people taking over the Lawrence brand?

Incidently, I thought I'd met Martin Lawrence in Canna Hbr. I found an E-mial for him and he said it wasn't his boat.

Thread here:
http://www.bluemoment.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6262

Anyone able to make some sense that for me?

ffiill

Visit site
Thomasina was bought by someone who took her over to West Indies; he was wintering ashore opposite me at Arisaig Marine winter 2009/2010.She was sold on early 2010 and is now back ashore in her usual place.
As for Clyde Cruising Club Guide I have my old new 1970 hardback copy.New because I bought it from a second hand online bookseller and received a brand new 1970 copy.Oh yes it cost £5 about 3 years ago.

Visit site

Not surprised. I had something to do with the Bristol; channel equivalent in another era, and it was a complete PITA to pull together and issue.

Amulet

www.flickr.com
I've been depending on the CCC "good book" since the '60s. What a sad day.

Imray should have negotiated to maintain the brand - it has more credibility than the Imray brand for me.

Aja

Visit site
Not the Whole Story.....

I can confirm the CCC editorial team is still very much alive and trying hard to ensure that the new series of books will retain many of the features of the old CCC Sailing Directions whilst also incorporating much of Martin Lawrence's knowledge and experience, not to mention his excellent aerial photographs.

Regards
Donald

http://www.clyde.org/index.php/content/view/47/49/

Mark-1

Visit site
I can confirm the CCC editorial team is still very much alive and trying hard to ensure that the new series of books will retain many of the features of the old CCC Sailing Directions whilst also incorporating much of Martin Lawrence's knowledge and experience, not to mention his excellent aerial photographs.

Regards
Donald

http://www.clyde.org/index.php/content/view/47/49/

Looking at the link I get the impression it's the other way round to the OP & Lawrence's guides are being taken over by the CCC. Which is consistent with the great Martin Lawrence having swallowed the anchor.

Have I got that right?

Quandary

Visit site
Looking at the link I get the impression it's the other way round to the OP & Lawrence's guides are being taken over by the CCC. Which is consistent with the great Martin Lawrence having swallowed the anchor.

Have I got that right?

I may have got it wrong as you suggest but my post accurately reported a news item circulated by email to Imray subscribers. Are you suggesting that Imray are telling me porkies. I suspect they will want to be sure to sell the new guides to as many CCC customers as possible but if you purchase them you will be buying an Imray publication but I am sure CCC will still have some to sell.
If you still do not believe me, it is not difficult to read the release on Imrays website.

Mark-1

Visit site
I may have got it wrong as you suggest but my post accurately reported a news item circulated by email to Imray subscribers. Are you suggesting that Imray are telling me porkies. I suspect they will want to be sure to sell the new guides to as many CCC customers as possible but if you purchase them you will be buying an Imray publication but I am sure CCC will still have some to sell.
If you still do not believe me, it is not difficult to read the release on Imrays website.

I'm not suggesting anything. I'm asking a question.

Aja

Visit site
For the Record...

It is not a question of 'takeovers' or Imray 'telling porkies'; simply that the Clyde Cruising Club Sailing Directions are being merged with the Yachtsman's Pilots of Martin Lawrence. The task of editing the forthcoming 'Firth of Clyde' book has been carried out by the CCC Sailing Directions team, who will also be responsible for the ongoing amendments. However, the new books will be published by Imray which means that in future the CCC will be able to concentrate on the content and no longer have to cope with the business of printing, marketing and distribution, which is best left to professionals.

Martin Lawrence may possibly have swallowed the anchor but he has certainly given up the pen. After forty years - first with the CCC and later with Imray - of writing and illustrating sailing directions he is taking a well-earned retirement. All those who sail in Scottish waters have much to thank him for.

Regards
Donald

Sgeir

s14.photobucket.com
The task of editing the forthcoming 'Firth of Clyde' book has been carried out by the CCC Sailing Directions team, who will also be responsible for the ongoing amendments. However, the new books will be published by Imray which means that in future the CCC will be able to concentrate on the content and no longer have to cope with the business of printing, marketing and distribution, which is best left to professionals.

CCC has been remarkably successful and done a first class job, but this looks like a reasonable formula for the future. IMHO>

Sgeir

s14.photobucket.com
What a truly outstanding cover photo:

That's one pic that I'd have been very pleased to have taken. Looks like the Caisteal Abhail ridge on Arran, from the bottom end of Loch Fyne. Beautiful.

Aja

Visit site

Have I got that right?

Mark-1

Spot on....

"...This major new edition combines text, plans and photographs from both the CCC Sailing Directions for the Firth of Clyde and Martin Lawrence’s popular Yachtsman’s Pilot - Clyde to Colonsay."

Regards
Donald

snooks

www.grahamsnook.com
When we cruised Scotland last year, we bought both sets CCC and Imray, as we couldn't decide which ones were better, they both made their merits so when we were planning we used both, when we were entering we used one or the other. Imray if they had photos of the harbour, clyde if they didn't.

So an amalgamation of both seems to make sense and would have saved us a hundred quid :)