The Deben Bar

Mirelle

N/A
Visit site
Word reaches me that Trinity House intend to buoy the new swatch, at the N end close under Bawdsey Manor, during next week.

Be warned that it is not very deep.

pvb

Visit site
How deep is that?

Good news, but how deep is it - better than the existing channel? I looked at the entrance (from the land) last week and have to say I'd be reluctant to try entering using the existing buoys.

Mirelle

N/A
Visit site
Re: How deep is that?

The buoys marking last year's entrance are to be removed. Do not try to enter using them. You may have noticed that the flood tide now sets out of it. i.e. it is no longer the way by which the water enters the estuary. From personal observation, though, I am not sure there is more water in the new swatch - however, it is a good deal shorter.

AndrewB

Visit site
Re: How deep is that?

Back in December the harbourmaster told the skipper of the boat I was on that the northern swatch was not suitable for most yachts, though local boats and those drawing up to 1.2m draft could get through at high tide.

But the inshore channel was narrower and shallower than I remember it from previous visits. We didn't find more than 3m at high water near the Martello tower.

PeterGibbs

Visit site
Re: Danger!

From information gleaned, I urge extreme caution on all newcomers using this entrance for the next couple of months until buoyage has been relayed, and the channel has stabilised a little. It looks as though the old entrance is about to be abandoned in favour of one that resembles the 2002 Alde entrance. Wherever the marks are re-sited, the channel is bound to be shallow: entrance at half tide plus will be required for most pleasure vessels.

Calling the ferryman (see almanacs for details) in advance of an approach is wise; following the locals in or out could lead to difficulties.

PWG

Other threads that may be of interest