THE COMPLETE ANCHORING HANDBOOK

BrendanS

Visit site
The rules are very simple. So simple that I'm sure you can understand if spelt out in black and white. They state

"under no circumstances post messages with advertising messages or those seeking commercial gain of any kind"

So recommending other authors books is fine. Recommending your own book in order to commercially promote it, is not.

hylass

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

So recommending other authors books is fine. Recommending your own book in order to commercially promote it, is not.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see the difference?? is it just because I will earn a few pennies for each book sold??

Be sure that it will not allow me to buy a new boat.. perhaps enough for my consumption of cigarets?? (I don't smoke :0) )

townes

Visit site
Alain,
It's a line drawn in the sand. Sometimes seemingly arbitrary and somewhat illogical but the line has to be somewhere. You may well be presenting a particularly useful publication, one that we all should read but ultimately your post is nothing more than an advert for yourself and what's worse, Amazon.com. If you are allowed to publicise your book then what's to stop this thread being overrun by other commercial interests. I don't care if the powers that be create a forum for commercial posts but I sure as hell don't want to have to wade through a bunch of adverts in order to find a few non commerical posts.
Regards
Andrew

townes

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Sounds like a lot of work for a book, I'd rather get out the plastic!

[/ QUOTE ]

True enough, although if I did attract the attention of Adlard Coles......

hylass

Visit site
some statistics..

Interesting enough.. at date of to day , it has been 218 entry to this thread.. with only an handfull of contradictors (who doesn't have read the book.. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif)

The record is 503 for Pompeï.. but I hope soon to break it.. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif)

Without this limited number of contradictors, I don't think I will have reached this audience.. Thanks to them!.. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

By comparison, I have open a new thread "Anchors", where (I think) there is no reason to have contradictors.. wait to see the difference.. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

tazzle

Visit site
Re: some statistics..

This looks like a good book

0713668911.02._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1138006756_.jpg

hylass

Visit site
good book..

Yes it should be..

...as Earl HINZ is a very knowlegeable person.. but a book talking on a completely different subject: heavy weather and sea anchors and drogues..

Thanks for that information..

Shanty

Visit site
Re: good book..

Earl Hinz has also written a book on anchoring - "The Complete Book of Anchoring and Mooring" - Cornell Maritime Press 1994.

Its an excellent book - probably one of the best I've seen on its subject. Its a little dated - only a passing reference to the SPADE anchor, and no mention of the Rocna or similar anchors. However, it covers far more than choice of anchor type, so is well worth a read.

If Hylas' book is anything like as good, it will be well worth reading.

Mirelle

N/A
Visit site
Why? It's fun!

I think anyone who reads this thread will realise that our friend is crying his own wares, which is what we wanted to achieve.

If he had any common sense at all, he woul have deleted it, being the Lesser of Two Weevils, but he didn't.

hylass

Visit site
Re: good book..

[ QUOTE ]
<span style="color:blue"> Earl Hinz has also written a book on anchoring - "The Complete Book of Anchoring and Mooring" - Cornell Maritime Press 1994.

Its an excellent book - probably one of the best I've seen on its subject. Its a little dated - only a passing reference to the SPADE anchor, and no mention of the Rocna or similar anchors. However, it covers far more than choice of anchor type, so is well worth a read.

If Hylas' book is anything like as good, it will be well worth reading. </span>

[/ QUOTE ]

Perfectly right.. I consider Earl HINZ's book as THE BIBLE for anchors and anchoring.. But like the Bible, it is a little bit dated.. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

The new book (for which I'm only one of the co-authors), is quite different, talking about different theories and talking also about the latest developments such as the "ROLL BAR" anchors .. and many other topics than only anchors.

I hope that it will also be well worth a read. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

trouville

N/A
Visit site
I agree with those who say the post dosent belong hear.

Anchoring is something we develop as we cruise. If we find a new anchor or wonder how good a bruce might be for example is we post on the forum.
(ive started useing one as a stern anchor! works very well in ports without ground lines/chains!)

The titel alone is ment to draw those planing a cruise or those that are planning their ideal boat. Its just sooooooooooo commercial that it dosent belong hear.

trouville

N/A
Visit site
Seeing that post for a trully rubbish book which has nothing whatever to do with sailing i take back my last post!! At least anchoring is a boats topic!!!

Let his post stay in peace! But move the other one!

Oen

Visit site
Anyone who dares to author 'The Complete Anchoring Handbook' either has no idea about anchoring, or no idea about his own limitations, or both. Anchoring is a complex process, and is hardly scientific, as those who attempt to make it so invariably prove.

Now, 'One man's thoughts about anchoring, based on lots of practical experience and vast theoretical knowledge', is a book I certainly WOULD buy

Grehan

www.french-waterways.com
[ QUOTE ]
I think this post should be allowed. Stop being miserable gits.

[/ QUOTE ]Hear-him, hear-him (her) (Weevils, indeed). The reek of self-appointed pompous little school caretakers in blue boiler suits chorusing "keep off the grass you boys" is simply overwhelming.

A

Anonymous

Alain,

When will the book be in print - Amazon UK and US don't have it in stock yet. I am looking forward to reading it.

I'd like to publicly thank you for helping me with my choice of anchor by private email a couple of months ago.....very kind of you. I can't see why you shouldn't - especially as an active forum member yourself - post details of your book in the BOOK section! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Indeed, I'm glad you did.