The Chicken Or The Egg

Mark-Imperial

Visit site
Thank you everyone. The good news is, you’re all correct. We have found a number of available moorings upon further digging. Southampton, Falmouth, Dartmouth to name a few. So, we are going away for a month a week tomorrow but when we get back, the search is on for the right tub. Thanks again, Mark

ashtead

Visit site
Was looking at moving westwards one day - Dartmouth would seem a great choice so interested to see that moorings were available but doesn’t seem any cheaper than those in Gosport really. We might get to to try out Noss on dart in a couple of days as a visitor if they have space but anyone there currently with thoughts since new owners acquired?

Mark-Imperial

Visit site
Ok, so back from our road trip and now on the hunt for the next boat. Have seen a few and considering placing an offer on a 36' Ben which unfortunately is due teak deck replacement. Before I place an offer (or at all), I need a steer on likely costs to strip and remove old teak (proper teak, bonded) and refit faux teak. I know it is how long is a piece of string but considering mid range quality and worst case scenario (i.e. deck fitting removal). Complete job, not got time to do such a task. I really am looking whether it is £1k, £3k, £5k, £10k or £20k - to the nearest £5k please. Thank you

James_Calvert

Visit site
That's a great question for this forum. If you don't get much response, try starting a new thread about it. The advice is out there.

Oh and good luck with your search!

Tranona

Visit site
Ok, so back from our road trip and now on the hunt for the next boat. Have seen a few and considering placing an offer on a 36' Ben which unfortunately is due teak deck replacement. Before I place an offer (or at all), I need a steer on likely costs to strip and remove old teak (proper teak, bonded) and refit faux teak. I know it is how long is a piece of string but considering mid range quality and worst case scenario (i.e. deck fitting removal). Complete job, not got time to do such a task. I really am looking whether it is £1k, £3k, £5k, £10k or £20k - to the nearest £5k please. Thank you
Between £10-15k split roughly 50/50 between stripping/making good and laying new if it is only the side decks

Run! Only sensible if price is low and you can do the work yourself, preferably not using fake teak but painting just as most of its sister boats were.

Stemar

Visit site
A more economical alternative would be to remove the teak, make good and paint the decks with a good non-slip paint.

Not a job for the faint-hearted but could get you a decent boat at a sensible price, and I don't think a well-painted deck looks any worse than fake teak. Use the estimates for replacement to get the boat at a sensible price and get to work. I'd see it as a winter project, putting up with the tired teak to go sailing for the summer.

Mark-Imperial

Visit site
That was my plan, then you realise the rigging is original (21 years old) as are the sails. The engine was last serviced 2019 and the sail drive the same. So, needs £20k throwing at it.

Tranona

Visit site
Welcome to the challenges of buying a 20 year old boat. Major replacement items like sails, rigging, engines are out of proportion to the cost of the boat. Typical values of such boats are around 20% +/- replacement cost and new gear is related to replacement cost.

However if you have a reasonably long time horizon (5 years+) then you recognise that you are consuming a big chunk of the life of such items during that time so will have ongoing replacement costs. So the expenditure at the start reduces the future costs and enhances the future value when you come to sell.

While rigging change will be essential you can still use the boat with old sails. Engines are pretty robust, as are saildrives so lack of recent service would not be a particular cause of concern and you could always make it a condition of purchase that the seller has it inspected and serviced by a main dealer. However the knackered teak deck is the big killer but that cost could be half if you just have it stripped and painted.

No easy answer except to set a budget overall and try and maximise what you can get for that amount of money. In my view it is better to buy with most things OK and pay more than take on a boat like that one with too much of the budget required for replacement and upgrades.

Mark-Imperial

Visit site
Lovely and exactly the correct response, thank you. You're right of course and all that taken on board, I would rather stump up more upfront and have a fairly well sorted boat to start with, then add to/improve during ownership; I certianly don't have the time to do my own DIY work.

clyst

Visit site
Thank you everyone, some encouraging comments and even better suggestions. I was more concerned that I find a boat and literally have nowhere to keep her. So, get our holiday out the way and start the serious search when we return in July.

Ideal boat for us would be a Beneteau 361, Bavaria 36 type.
Checkout Cargreen yacht club on the Tamar . Deep water swinging moorings and certainly not solent pricing .

DownWest

Visit site
OK, I will throw this in.. Marina prices in France are a lot cheaper than UK. So, if you have a cheap flights airport close, then leg it to France and have fun here.
Some places, like Arzal, do a dry store with several launches and recoveries in the yearly price. I won't mention the half decent food and ambience..
Worth a thought?

Supertramp

Visit site
Welcome to the challenges of buying a 20 year old boat. Major replacement items like sails, rigging, engines are out of proportion to the cost of the boat. Typical values of such boats are around 20% +/- replacement cost and new gear is related to replacement cost.

However if you have a reasonably long time horizon (5 years+) then you recognise that you are consuming a big chunk of the life of such items during that time so will have ongoing replacement costs. So the expenditure at the start reduces the future costs and enhances the future value when you come to sell.

While rigging change will be essential you can still use the boat with old sails. Engines are pretty robust, as are saildrives so lack of recent service would not be a particular cause of concern and you could always make it a condition of purchase that the seller has it inspected and serviced by a main dealer. However the knackered teak deck is the big killer but that cost could be half if you just have it stripped and painted.

No easy answer except to set a budget overall and try and maximise what you can get for that amount of money. In my view it is better to buy with most things OK and pay more than take on a boat like that one with too much of the budget required for replacement and upgrades.
Agree with all this.

I think it's easier to deal with a bit of neglect and lack of use than to correct misuse and modifications.

I found my boat with teak decks that needed replacing, agreed a reduction with the seller, and am very happy with the outcome. When I projected the total costs to purchase and run over a 10 year period (and assuming the relatively new engine didn't need replacing) the cost of the boat was less than the mooring and insurance costs and only marginally more than the expected replacements over the 10 years. Keep an eye on the overall picture.

Rafiki

Visit site
That’s an interesting idea. We’re midlands based and still working (for ourselves), so anywhere we want to sail is a minimum of 3 hours drive (if we exclude the Bristol
channel). Plymouth isn’t too much further and can still reach Dartmouth and Salcombe as well as the Cornish coast. Thanks for the suggestion, just quite liked the idea of the sheltered Torbay if weather and tide are less favourable. Mind you, there’s Plymouth sound of course.
What about looking in the other direction, roads from the MIdlands to Ipswich much improved in recent years.

stuartwineberg

Visit site
Open to anywhere west of Portsmouth and on South Coast. Everywhere I have tried seems to have a waiting list. Probably the legacy of C-19(?). Needs to be a pontoon walk-ashore set up as given our location, will be arriving late evenings to maximise sailing time. Don’t fancy a tender row at 10pm on day 1 - it’s been hard enough convincing the wife.
MDL keep texting me offering 12m berths on the hamble, can’t recall which exact marina