The Chicken Or The Egg

Mark-Imperial

Visit site
Looking to purchase a yacht around 36 feet either later season or early next season. Ideally, mooring around the Torbay region but not averse to Southampton area. Trouble is, marina availability? Tried Brixham and Torquay, both in a waiting list. So buy a boat and nowhere to stick it, or secure a berth and have no boat. Hmm.

Sandy

Visit site
Have you considered the Exe or Plymouth?

I moved from the Exe to Plymouth a few years ago and prefer the location as it gives some good cruising grounds and with France just a 24 hours sail away you can enjoy the delights of Brittany and Normandy.

Mark-Imperial

Visit site
That’s an interesting idea. We’re midlands based and still working (for ourselves), so anywhere we want to sail is a minimum of 3 hours drive (if we exclude the Bristol
channel). Plymouth isn’t too much further and can still reach Dartmouth and Salcombe as well as the Cornish coast. Thanks for the suggestion, just quite liked the idea of the sheltered Torbay if weather and tide are less favourable. Mind you, there’s Plymouth sound of course.

Mark-Imperial

Visit site
That’s an interesting idea. We’re midlands based and still working (for ourselves), so anywhere we want to sail is a minimum of 3 hours drive (if we exclude the Bristol
channel). Plymouth isn’t too much further and can still reach Dartmouth and Salcombe as well as the Cornish coast. Thanks for the suggestion, just quite liked the idea of the sheltered Torbay if weather and tide (time) are less favourable. Mind you, there’s Plymouth sound of couse

Mark-Imperial

Visit site
Open to anywhere west of Portsmouth and on South Coast. Everywhere I have tried seems to have a waiting list. Probably the legacy of C-19(?). Needs to be a pontoon walk-ashore set up as given our location, will be arriving late evenings to maximise sailing time. Don’t fancy a tender row at 10pm on day 1 - it’s been hard enough convincing the wife.

Jacana139

Visit site
Answering your question first, my opinion is you should buy the boat and then get the mooring. You may find that the waiting list issue is exaggerated.
In the last 8 years we have had a mooring in Poole, Weymouth and now Torquay. All have taken about 3 hours from the Midlands (Redditch).
I sailed with my Dad from 1982 to 2005 from Sutton Harbour Plymouth and would agree that it is a good place for a home berth. It is about another 30mins in travel time.
Other marinas to consider would be Darthaven, Noss, Mountbatten, QAB, and Mayflower but all are ‘out of town’ to a greater or lesser extent if you like to walk ashore to a choice of Bars and Restaurants.

jwilson

Visit site
You do tend to get different answers if you say you already own a specific size/model boat. Marinas and mooring providers can often "find" a berth temporarily even though there is a waiting list. You may get moved around a bit until finally you get your own berth/mooring.

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
Your reasons for choosing Torbay area, shelter and tides with a 36 foot boat seem odd to me. I lived in the midlands and kept boats in Plymouth for many years it's an excellent area to base oneself in though difficult travelling, in fact anywhere will be a lengthy journey from the midlands. I first had a swinging mooring in the Tamar and eventually moved to a marina. I have little doubt that you could get a swinging mooring and within a year or so a marina berth in Plymouth.

harvey38

Visit site
Buy the boat, moor it somewhere that may not be your first/second choice and get on your preferred waiting list.

Our initial plan was to keep Tolerance on the Thames as like you, live in the Midlands, Staffordshire but now quite happy to do the four hour drive to Ramsgate as we really enjoy the place. Reasonable mooring fees, great facilities, 27 miles to France, plenty to eat and drink.

Mark-Imperial

Visit site
Thank you everyone, some encouraging comments and even better suggestions. I was more concerned that I find a boat and literally have nowhere to keep her. So, get our holiday out the way and start the serious search when we return in July.

Ideal boat for us would be a Beneteau 361, Bavaria 36 type.

DangerousPirate

Visit site
I can't give specific advice for the marina situation, but the egg definitely came before the chicken.
And for your boat that means; Buy the boat first and then figure out where to put it. There will always be some mooring buoys until you find a suitable marina

Mark-Imperial

Visit site
Thank you. In an ideal world, I would look to buy the right boat in the right marina whom would consider transferring the mooring to me. Saves the long sail or worse still, haulage to our eventual berth.

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
Thank you. In an ideal world, I would look to buy the right boat in the right marina whom would consider transferring the mooring to me. Saves the long sail or worse still, haulage to our eventual berth.
In that case start looking at brokers with boats for sale in the UK Ancasters for one and see if the marina berth is still active and transferable.

Homer J

Visit site
Haslar marina are advertising. Bucklers hard at Beaulieu may also have room as they just expanded. Beautiful too.

Concerto

Visit site
If you find the marina costs too high in the SW, then consider Chatham Marina on the Medway. Similar driving time as getting to the South Coast. My 32ft/9.8m yacht cost £4006 this year for an annual berth. They have quite a few empty berths after increasing the number of berths just before Covid and then kicking out 32 boats for being permanent liveaboards which is against the marina's licence.

PhillM

Visit site
Buy a boat - you will always find somewhere to berth her. Doesnt matter where in the short term, then move her when you find your 'ideal' space. Dont discount non-walk ashore optons because oftern there is a water taxi service. There are even moorings on the Hamble if you know where to look and who to ask (here is a good place!).