The boat or the money?

Nostrodamus

www.cygnus3.com
As live boards planning on extended cruising what would be more important to you.
A boat you actually like with space, good sea keeping abilities, safe and the ability to get at the systems you need to service which will probably take up most of your budget leaving a smaller amount of money in reserve or
A smaller boat that is more cramped less well built and may not be as good in heavy weather but is a lot cheaper to buy and allows you far more in reserve financially to do more in the places you may visit.

Wife of Lofticus

Visit site
As with all things in life it has to be a compromise, one is no good without the other!
However, everybody I have talked to seems to be able to find a compromise they can afford, not much point having the 'best' boat ever if you can't afford to do what you what with her - be that live on board tied up or cruise!
:D

PlanB

Visit site
If you are living aboard, you have to be comfortable, otherwise you could rapidly become disenchanted. On the other hand, you have to live and there's no point being miserable because you can't afford to live or do most of the things you want to. So, as WoL says, it's a compromise.
The one sure thing is, you've got to go for it one way or the other!

tri39

www.sailblogs.com
Imho it's more important to have an income to enjoy cruising on, than the "ideal" boat.
Also the more valuable your boat, the more you worry about damage, insurance, and resale value. There's a geometric increase in maintenance costs as boats increase in size.
Somewhere you have to find the compromise you're happy with. Since you already own a first boat you must be the best guide as to the direction you wish to travel in.

Last edited:

Sandyman

Visit site
Depends on how deep your pockets are. As to the boat, if you are long term cruising then you most certainly need some reasonable form of comfort and without doubt she needs good sea keeping abilities. At some point you will hit a storm, and the knowledge that she can handle it brings security and peace of mind.

Good planning and careful budgeting is the key.

chinita

Visit site
I have had both.

The view from the cockpit is the same.

It depends where you will cruise, life stuck down below on a 21ft boat in Peterhead in the rain in August is no fun. Anchored in a glorious Med Cala in April is completely different.

There is an adage; 'Don't buy the biggest you can afford, but the smallest you can live on'. Easy to say and very subjective. However, size is only a consideration when you want to berth in a Marina, lift out, and maintain ashore.

The real killer, IMHO, are the systems. I had a boat with eleven electric pumps - I replaced/repaired all of them at one time or another. Costly and time consuming, to say nothing of the inconvenience when they pack up.

KISS is the rule. the happiest people I have met are the ones sitting in the bars not having to worry how they are going to get that essential part for a broken gizzmo from a UK chandlery to their current Med location.

Do you really need a bowthruster, hot water, pressurized water, macerator pump, electric windlass, eber heating?

I don't - but that is just me. Someone will be along shortly to say that they have twenty pumps and they have never gone wrong!

Buy the best anchor you can afford and as much chain as you can carry.

Yacht Castor

Visit site
To me the most important thing in my life is peace of mind which comes with confidence and trust in my boat. I have owned and have had great fun with an awb but it can become very exhausting especially when it comes to long passages in heavy weather, struggling at the helm to keep her from broaching or turning up into the wind and stalling.

But as a live-aboard I want a boat that can eat up the miles effortlessly that can look after herself and me when things get messy.

My current boat was commissioned in Sweden and I collected her in March 2007 crossing the North Sea directly to Southampton in a force 9 severe gale, six days of dark grey skies 42 plus knots of wind and mountainous seas and never once did she hesitate, she just kept plodded on day after day. The autopilot steering non stop, climbing each wave, hesitating for a second before gently sliding down the back of the next.

Not wishing to sound melodramatic but for me that is priceless. Get the best boat you can afford one day you might live to not regret it.

chinita

Visit site
To me the most important thing in my life is peace of mind which comes with confidence and trust in my boat. I have owned and have had great fun with an awb but it can become very exhausting especially when it comes to long passages in heavy weather, struggling at the helm to keep her from broaching or turning up into the wind and stalling.

But as a live-aboard I want a boat that can eat up the miles effortlessly that can look after herself and me when things get messy.

My current boat was commissioned in Sweden and I collected her in March 2007 crossing the North Sea directly to Southampton in a force 9 severe gale, six days of dark grey skies 42 plus knots of wind and mountainous seas and never once did she hesitate, she just kept plodded on day after day. The autopilot steering non stop, climbing each wave, hesitating for a second before gently sliding down the back of the next.

Not wishing to sound melodramatic but for me that is priceless. Get the best boat you can afford one day you might live to not regret it.

Absolutely agree, you made a very sensible choice. I had a HR36 which performed the same way and appreciated in value over the three years of ownership.

Nostrodamus

www.cygnus3.com
The boat or the money

Thank you one and all for your opinions which are all very valid.
Before we sold our house and bought the boat we looked long and hard at so many various makes. Strangely enough it was not the money that was our main concern although we did of course set a budget, left money aside for upgrades/repairs and an amount for living on and problems along the way. The repairs budget and upgrades did of course go over and ate into the savings.
Having said that with a wife and my two boys on board it was important to have the space otherwise it could have put us all off. My main concern was safety as it is no good having savings if the boat could not stand a good storm and we would not get the chance to spend it.
As can be seen most of our money went on the boat (and a good anchor) and we do not regret it at all but I also value the opinions of those that went the other way.

grumpygit

Visit site
As live boards planning on extended cruising what would be more important to you.
A boat you actually like with space, good sea keeping abilities, safe and the ability to get at the systems you need to service which will probably take up most of your budget leaving a smaller amount of money in reserve or....................

The above part of your thread is what I think is the most important and it turned out to be my choice of yacht credentials.

I don't believe that a well engineered yacht costs more than a boat that is mass produced. (if I dare use this discription without upsetting someone!)

There is a few points put forward by others that may be valid but the only real drawback we have is marina fees. I'm pleased to see you have made a special note about a new anchor, that will pay for it's self in no time.

How is Hull and the chocolate slimfast that they call the Humber......we sailed out of there for quite a few years.

Enjoy what you have, you have a tough breed of yacht, we nearly bought one!