The added value of thrusters

mitiempo

Visit site
A bow thruster is another tool to use but you should know how to dock your boat in most any conditions without one - the thruster will make it easier on some occasions.

Most sailboats I have seen with thrusters are in the 40' and up size. Smaller powerboats sometimes have thrusters.

I also agree with Tranona about the depth of the forefoot not suiting a thruster. You want the prop to be below the waterline a ways, not at the surface. As well they take up space inside and I doubt a Bav your size has much room for one.

And yes the salesman could well laugh when you leave.:D

Norman_E

Visit site
I agree with the above. Does the Bav 30 have enough depth in the water well forward to make a thruster effective? If it has to be almost at the waterline its thrust will be much reduced, compared to getting it a foot lower down. I think the cash could be much better spent on other things that are on the extras list with any new boat.

Stoshak

Visit site
Despite the comments of our resident expert, a bow thruster is very useful on a twin-rudder boat, where there is no propwash onto the rudder.

In these circumstances the prudent mariner will look upon the device as a useful friend when necessary, but probably try not to use it.

Cue now for the sermon on single rudders, excellence of proper lift keels and so on.

BGW

www.marina.ie
I think any added value is in what it can do for you - nothing to do with resale value.
I have a 37ft broom crown - very high freeboard and with the canopy up it catches the wind a lot too.
After three years of ownership I had one fitted.
I don't use it by default, but there are occasions - particularly when I am single handed, that it makes life very much easier. I have a remote control so I can use it while up on the bow.
Ignore what others think, or the resale value - it's about what it will do for you.

BrianH

www.brianhenry.byethost18.com
What is the general view on the added value/attraction on resale of a yacht professionally fitted with a bow thruster (31' modern yacht)?
I believe the cost of a thruster is around £3500 fitted. Although I wouldn't necessarily fit one expecting to recoup the expense on selling, but does it make the yacht more attractive against others when selling?

When I was actively searching for my present 31' motor-sailor there were four for sale in Europe and I planned a viewing trip, deliberately excluding the one with a bow-thruster.

Mind you, backing up the one I did buy for the first time I suddenly found out why one did have a bow-thruster. It took a few years to learn how to properly berth and now I am not sorry having one less potential maintenance problem.

cowpat

Visit site
Zippy icon wanted here

If you can't get a 31' boat berthed you need to go back to clown school:

- " I'll ask you not to speak of Princeton that way ! "

Pinched from 'Frasier' .:)

Oh dear-Oh dear they're at it again. Could I mention that I find predominately boatie people seem do this? Other forums that I use have contributor's whose conduct is more mature.
On the topic. Almost any size boat would benefit from a B/T wouldn't it? I fitted one 3 years ago and wish I had done it decades ago. Fantastic improvement. Chris.

Tranona

Visit site
I have never used my ABS or ESP on the car, but I am glad that they are there for when I do.
Not a fair comparison. Both those are passive devices whereas a bow thruster is active - and you choose to use it rather than electronics.

Tranona

Visit site
Almost any size boat would benefit from a B/T wouldn't it? I fitted one 3 years ago and wish I had done it decades ago. Fantastic improvement. Chris.

No, it is not necessary or feasible to fit one to all boats. I can see why you think it valuable on your boat, but yours is very different from the OPs.

exfinnsailor

Visit site
If you can't get a 31' boat berthed you need to go back to clown school:

- " I'll ask you not to speak of Princeton that way ! "

Pinched from 'Frasier' .:)

Try a Beneteau 323 Lift Keel with Twin Rudders and NO PROP Wash.

Bow Thruster .. Worth every penny

AllanJ

Visit site
Not a fair comparison. Both those are passive devices whereas a bow thruster is active - and you choose to use it rather than electronics.

Not so. I can switch them all off if I want to be a 'good driver', so in that sense they are active. I choose to put on my seat belt for the same reason; in case something goes wrong.
Not to take advantage of something that assists what you want to achieve is simply illogical. I detest the arrogance of those who think that the only way to berth is without one. Let them try to do it without an engine, which was once a modern addition probably held in the same distaste by 'proper' sailors (hoho)! It's a hobby!

Visit site
Those of us who are accustomed to cross winds in a tight marina would certainly consider a bt to be a good selling point especially if you point out that you do have problems without one in your marina.

Tranona

Visit site
Not so. I can switch them all off if I want to be a 'good driver', so in that sense they are active.

No, they are not in any way active. They are either passive or not there. A bow thruster is either not there or active. You have no control over what your ABS and ESP do when you have them switched on - they only respond to external stimuli, whereas a bow thruster only responds when you tell it to and you have total control.

AllanJ

Visit site
No, they are not in any way active. They are either passive or not there. A bow thruster is either not there or active. You have no control over what your ABS and ESP do when you have them switched on - they only respond to external stimuli, whereas a bow thruster only responds when you tell it to and you have total control.

And who chooses whether they are there or not there? Who presses the brake hard enough to get the ABS on, or turns the corner too fast to engage the ESP? Get over it. It was an analogy. Maybe not the best, but still valid.

nigel1

Visit site
Practice definitely helps as does trying to avoid situations where you know the boat is not at its best. However, there are some types of boats where a thruster is useful. Would not like to berth my mate's Nauticat 331 in strong wind and tide without one. His berth is like that - tide running fore and aft and wind usually at 90 degrees and he manages single handed. My berth is facing the prevailing wind so easier. Not so easy coming alongside the waiting pontoon where it is usually a cross wind. Strategy then is to come in relatively fast and take the way off with a big burst of reverse and get moored before the wind blows you off.

Have one fitted to a 47', gets used less than 5% of berthing/unberthing.
Glad to have it, a few months ago coming into the Brunswick Lock at Liverpool, which is silting up, touched bottom about 10m from the sea ward gates which swung the bow towards the approach wall. The BT enabled me to push the bow clear. The other option to use helm would have swung the ar*e end into the wall, or go full astern, and hope for the best, but would mean loss of control in a confined space with a strong ebb tide.'

It gets most used from other yotties who I occasionally let drive the boat, they all think its the dogs *******s and use it whether its needed or not

Scotty_Tradewind

Me: South Oxfordshire. Boat, Galicia NW Spain
Visit site
This seems a very immotive/controversial subject and one that was discussed and remarked upon at length on this forum quite recently.
A bit like discussing anchors or windvanes with those who have an interest in such things.

Of course it's a subject where we can all be correct and yet in some cases all wrong at the same time. As we all know, all sailors/mobos are not the same neither are the craft we use and our ability to use them in varying conditions. What's good for me may not be good for you.

My son and I have very different needs in terms of equipment on board. He is an athletic competant boatman/sailor who springs about the boat like a chimp crossed with a gazelle at times. Me?..I'm really slowing down and feeling that the old body needs a helping hand these days, in whatever way it may be possible.

A bow thruster definatly assisted me for the two months I was 'trying out' my recent purchase and although we sailed every weekend in the difficult conditions of May and June this year, we/I always managed to get off my pontoon when being blown on by a F7 wind due to the help of using a spring against a large round buoy and the bow thruster, even when short handed.

A lot of nonsense is spoken by those who dislike a bit of noise or are a bit jealous of the larger yacht that may have one, but for one who sails on a very tight budget, I can tell you it's one of the best pieces of additional kit that my old boat has for me to play with.

So for those who are using this forum/thread to let off steam on this and other subjects in a similar vein, I'm the one thats definatly right and I know best.... for me! ;)

And.... yes I think a bow thruster just may help to sell a boat more easily. Probably not increase its value much though

Last edited:

Kurrawong_Kid

Visit site
I agree with the above. Does the Bav 30 have enough depth in the water well forward to make a thruster effective? If it has to be almost at the waterline its thrust will be much reduced, compared to getting it a foot lower down. I think the cash could be much better spent on other things that are on the extras list with any new boat.
I investigated a retractable bow thruster because the forefoot on our yacht is shallow but found that they are very expensive and had reports that most yachts coming into the yard for bow thruster repairs are where the retractable ones have got stuck!
Am giving some consideration now to installing an outboard offset, possibly the "wrong way round", to counteract the initial violent pull to starboard when reverse is first engaged. If the wind is off the starboard bow the head blows off before the yacht has any steerage way in astern. Before committing to that plan I am going to experiment with using the dinghy as a "tug" to try and keep the head straight as I back out of the berth.
Coping at present (mostly) by using warps but difficult when short handed.
Interestingly suggested at SIBS that I fix a radio controlled electric outboard to the bow before entering or leaving a marina and use that as a bow thruster!!
To answer the question, may help a boat to sell more quickly but will do nothing for the value. Might put off performance orientated prospective purchasers though!

cowpat

Visit site
outboard on bow.

Your QUOTE :-Interestingly suggested at SIBS that I fix a radio controlled electric outboard to the bow before entering or leaving a marina and use that as a bow thruster!!

This may help you Kurrawong_Kid to follow up that not too bad idea. But...
I thought of a lot of ways to make a B/T.and I think you will find that the small electric outboard is simply not powerfull enough,they are built for long continuious running. You need short birsts of real power. My 24v one draws 460Amps (7.95HP) I had other ideas, one was jet power from a pump with a 1 1/2" outlet. The power here in terms of thrust was also inadequate. The one I eventualy made was the conventional tunel and impeller and fitted with the remote control you mention..