Thames Transport

Yachtjoy

Visit site
I wonder whether anyone might be able to help me with some information. I'm trying to arrange transport for my son and 15 of his friends to the Oakley Court hotel near Windsor for their school prom in June. Naturally enough I figured that a boat would be good. Does anyone have any thoughts on contacts who might be able to help?

byron

RIP
Visit site
It cannot be done on a private boat where the maximum amount of passengers that can be carried is 12. This means then the hire of a small launch licenced for such purpose and a licenced Skipper that comes with it. That boat will also have a key to the locks which allows it to power up the locks after hours.
You do not mention where the pick up point is to be. Bear in mind that Thames travel is quite slow so it cannot be far away. Somewhere like Maidenhead would be good and there is a firm there which could do that job. Unfortunately however their name escapes me right now, I'm sure some other forum denizen will provide it. If your lad is at Eton then Windsor Boats may have the ideal craft and they can be picked up from the Eton Boathouse.
It ain't going to be cheap /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

TrueBlue

Visit site
That's a bit of a challenge. The new and improved (not) www.visitthames.co.uk has a list of companies, but it requires some hard works and lots of clicks to find anything:-

The Maidenhead Steam Navigation Co.
Telephone: 01628 621770
http://www.visitthames.co.uk/poi_detail/142/14617/poi_redirect.html
They are the major operator out of Maidenhead and the fleet has large and small boats for hire.
They're next door to what used to be "Skindles"

Don't recognise this outfit; but according to the map it looks like what used to be Bray Boats. If I'm right they are in a big block of flats on Boulter's Lock side, about 200yds upstream of Maidenhead bridge.
FWIW They have a couple of strange looking trip boats looking like a truncated tube train which might be fun but very retro...

Maidenhead River Service
Telephone: 01628 634247
Fax: 01628 634247

RutlandMike

www.sam2.us
Forgive my ignorance - is there a limit on the number a privately owned boat can carry without a licensed skipper if no dosh changing hands? A friend or forumite on a suitably large boat giving a lift?

RutlandMike

www.sam2.us
Being a nervous skipper, wonder if I could get away with 1 crew member per fender, a galley slave, vallet, engineer, deckhand and a couple of concubines? That should take the numer aboard up to 26!

byron

RIP
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
The maximum is 12, I THINK that excludes skipper and crew.

[/ QUOTE ]
You are correct. 12 Passengers plus Skipper and one crew. Unfortunately it doesn't stipulate boat size so in theory you can carry this many people on a Freeman 22.

Andrew_Fanner

Visit site
Byron.

I'm curious. How many can legally be aboard when the boat is moored up? I've seen, and sometimes been a been part of, some pretty big gatherings on larger private boats. You can get a fair few aboard (>14) an Ocean 37 or similar if the gin pennant goes up.

byron

RIP
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Byron.

I'm curious. How many can legally be aboard when the boat is moored up? I've seen, and sometimes been a been part of, some pretty big gatherings on larger private boats. You can get a fair few aboard (>14) an Ocean 37 or similar if the gin pennant goes up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Frankly I do not know. I have a sneaking suspicion that if a boat is moored up the rules do not apply. Rather like the old steamer rules, once 3' from the bank the bar can be opened up no matter what the hour.

DogsBody

Visit site
Re: Limit of people on a moored private boat

Interesting thought but 14 is nothing, I've seen upwards of 20 odd and on a smaller boat. Not sure its a sensible record to go for though.

byron

RIP
Visit site
Re: Limit of people on a moored private boat

[ QUOTE ]
Interesting thought but 14 is nothing, I've seen upwards of 20 odd and on a smaller boat. Not sure its a sensible record to go for though.

[/ QUOTE ]
YOUR BOAT nearly sank a few summers ago. There were so many of us on it the stern drives were under water and one of them was leaky. We all piled off with the owner (dave eatwell) hollering "women and children first, follow me your captain"

DogsBody

Visit site
Re: Sinking feeling

Thats the second time you've told me my boat nearly sank in her previous ownership, I'm starting to get worried now!

DogsBody

Visit site
Re: Sinking feeling

Don't worry, the way Deb feels about the engines reliability (or lack thereof) there may be a third sinking to come!