Teak faced ply that isn't really Teak faced ply.

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
I need some teak faced plywood and faced with an unusual thickness I phoned Robbins. I've used Robbins many times and although their prices are often eyewaterinw, the quality of the product they've supplied me has always been excellent.

However when I explained that the ply I was replacing measures up at about 10.3 mm thick and I assumed it was 9mm ply with a teak veneer glued on, the Robbins salesman admitted that their Teak faced Plywood is actually faced with something he calls 'alpei' and is't a genuine teak veneer at all. Moreover they've got none in stock. His description has left me somewhat confused as I think the way he explained it was that the 'alpei' is a reconstituted teak and isn't a genuine teak veneer.

My calls around the country have shown me that it is almost impossible to get hold of teak faced plywood atm. Robbins will have some of their 12mm 'version' back in stock in a week or two. KJ Howells say that their teak faced ply is the real thing but they're out of stock and they won't have any for a few months.

Any comments of suggestions? (I need an 8 x 4 sheet of 12mm teak faced plywood.) Preferably genuine BS1088 marine grade.
PS I know how expensive it is.

john_morris_uk

I’m not completely sure about this but I think the veneer you refer to is called Alpi. … I think it might be what is used in my Jeanneau. I’m not certain.

10.74 Teak | Eden Anglo Veneers
That makes perfect sense.

Does trades descriptions act apply to 'teak faced plywood' as advertised by Robbins? I appreciate that it looks like teak, but it isn't teak and I'm feeling seen off. Especially by their pricing of several hundred pounds per sheet.

ip485

Visit site
I have always had great success with veneering my own sheet. There are lots of sources of really top quality genuine teak venner and it is pretty straight forward to bond to the ply. I appreciate you want a relatively large sheet, which is only limiting in terms of the size of laying up the venner. Personally I epoxy to the sheet and lay up with a sheet on top and lots of weight. It also means if it is internal and yu dnt really need marine grade ply so be it and there is a saving to be had.

ip485

Visit site
I think I used Vale a while ago but I cant recall.

Obtaining large rolled sheets is more of a problem, lots of veneer suppliers of smaller rolled sheets which can of course be used just as well.

I obtained several large rolls last time and the quality was absolutely superb.

TheBomber

Visit site
I'm thinking that this problem:
My calls around the country have shown me that it is almost impossible to get hold of teak faced plywood atm.
might be due to the current situation in Myanmar. So, for once, not a Brexit/Covid/container problem. Given that they're currently shooting their own people in Myanmar, it puts our Brexit/Covid/container problems into context.

Rum_Pirate

Visit site
Due to EUTR Regulations, Teak cannot be imported into the UK so is currently unavailable.
Buy Teak wood online - iWood

Try

Teak Faced Plywood | Bespoke Marine Interiors | Hawke House Ltd

Teak Faced Plywood

Teak-Faced-Plywood.jpg

Plywoods are not available to purchase via the website. For more details or to make an order, please contact us on 02392 588 588 or email info@hawkehouse.co.uk
Prices quoted exclude v.a.t. and are ex-works (Bristol)

1/4 Sheet1/2 SheetFull Sheet
1.8mmN/AN/A£182.22
4mm£52.89£102.79£199.57
6mm£56.33£109.67£213.34
9mm£58.33£113.66£221.32
12mm£61.25£119.50£232.99

Spirit (of Glenans)

Visit site

Does trades descriptions act apply to 'teak faced plywood' as advertised by Robbins? I appreciate that it looks like teak, but it isn't teak and I'm feeling seen off. Especially by their pricing of several hundred pounds per sheet.
The advantage of this product is that the apearance is consistent and easily matched.

ip485

Visit site

I agree, I find this disappointing.

I made my teak table ot of Robbins teak and was really impressed with the quality of the boards - at a price as you say. I am surprised they wouldnt market their product honestly.

john_morris_uk

Due to EUTR Regulations, Teak cannot be imported into the UK so is currently unavailable.
Buy Teak wood online - iWood

Try

Teak Faced Plywood | Bespoke Marine Interiors | Hawke House Ltd

Teak Faced Plywood

Teak-Faced-Plywood.jpg

Plywoods are not available to purchase via the website. For more details or to make an order, please contact us on 02392 588 588 or email info@hawkehouse.co.uk
Prices quoted exclude v.a.t. and are ex-works (Bristol)

1/4 Sheet1/2 SheetFull Sheet
1.8mmN/AN/A£182.22
4mm£52.89£102.79£199.57
6mm£56.33£109.67£213.34
9mm£58.33£113.66£221.32
12mm£61.25£119.50£232.99

Thanks Doug. Unfortunately they get their plywood straight from Robbins!

Rappey

Visit site
For smalll wood items for your boat I use marina decking which is balau. Lots of old decking gets thrown out.. Sanded down and varnished it looks very similar to teak..
Great for light fitting bases etc.

Mahogany ply is not really mahogany but some other species of the mahogany family, such as sapele..

Kilo

Visit site
Might be worth trying Lathams if you've not done so already, they've always been v helpful when I've needed something slightly out of the ordinary.

Tradewinds

www.laurelberrystudio.com
Just a personal observation about teak veneer. On my 1980 C&N39 the veneered teak is what would have been described as 'blonde' teak (ref: Odyssey Marine many years ago when I enquired about teak-faced ply).

I remember buying to teak faced ply back in the late '70s for my Sadler 25 and the ply's teak veneer was dark, almost acrid. I've just looked at some teak veneer suppliers and their web photos remind me of the dark stuff I bought back then- eg

teak_340_22_695x695.jpg

You really have to be sure what teak veneer you're going to get. My preference is 1/4 sawn 'blonde'.

Tranona

Visit site

Alpi is a reconstructed wood product but is derived from real wood. It is widely used in production boats these days because it is cheaper than solid wood veneers, consistent and can be made in a much wider range of finishes than solid veneers. Green too as it uses much less scarce wood. When I ordered my boat in 2015 I think there were 6 choices of veneer finishes all perfectly consistent and matched. Previous models had only one choice and despite using stains some panels were often mismatched. Downside is that the final veneer is very thin and time will tell how well it stands up. Looks OK so far on my boat and others much older that I have seen.

Does not solve your problem. For all the reasons already mentioned teak, particularly veneers will become increasingly difficult to source and are likely to be of the paler softer types from plantation grown teak that will be difficult to match with older panels.

You don't say what you are going to use it for, but if it is for smaller panels like doors rather than large area bulkheads you might consider making the panels to size out of plain ply and veneering them yourself. Two types of veneers are available, either paperbacked sheets which are also reconstructed wood or structural veneers which are normally 1.5mm thick unfinished. These are nominally available in a range of sizes, although from what I have seen are also in short supply.

This is a good source of both types thewoodveneerhub.co.uk

I have used this technique with both teak, Sapele and Khaya mahogany veneers.

Hope this helps

ean_p

Visit site
I agree, I find this disappointing.

I made my teak table ot of Robbins teak and was really impressed with the quality of the boards - at a price as you say. I am surprised they wouldnt market their product honestly.
Personally I'd go for exterior grade European birch ply and apply the veneer of choice after its cut to size. BS1088 is not the be all and end all of ply as many believe unless you're going to buy the top end Dutch stuff. Have a look at some of the far Eastern rubbish that carries the mark in your local b&q to see 'how adjustable' the standard is if not fully monitored!

HissyFit

Visit site
If they say 'teak' then it has to be teak. Just like the muslim owned pizza parlours that sold turkey ham toppings as ham because they were forbidden from touching ham, they are breaking the Trade Descriptions Act.

Tranona

Visit site
If they say 'teak' then it has to be teak. Just like the muslim owned pizza parlours that sold turkey ham toppings as ham because they were forbidden from touching ham, they are breaking the Trade Descriptions Act.
But the Alpi teak veneer is made out of teak, just not a veneer cut from the log in the traditional way.