Teak Deck

Tugw

Visit site
Sorry Folks !! im sure this one has been done to death but i cant find the answers,Whats the best way of looking after a teak deck,What should be done and what shouldnt?

Siks munss ago i kudent spel injinear,Now i are one !!

KevB

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
A very soft brush.

And never ever think of power washing it!

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldn't agree more. I naively jet washed my bathing platform a couple of years ago and ruined it /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Poignard

Visit site
Don't let it dry out. Make sure the bosun gets the hands to scrub it with salt water every morning and spread the awnings in hot weather. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

pheran

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I can highly recommend this stuff. Wessex

[/ QUOTE ] I bought some of this and was disappointed. Not that it didn't do a reasonable job, but the result was no better than straight-forward Oxalic Acid which is pounds cheaper.

lucas

Visit site
I know most people advise against teak oil but I oil our bathing platform teak last thing on a Sunday evening before we leave the boat. On Friday when we return the teak looks great. Might be different for decks of course.

Nelson1

N/A
Visit site
Re: Teak Deck - saw this and though of you!

This may help users with old or worn out teak

"A common misconception is to seal teak off with teak oil, or linseed oil. Unfortunately, this may give a fresh look at the time of applying, but soon wears and looks even worse that natural weathered wood. This is due to the salinity in the sea air extracting the oil, forcing it to sit on top of the teak, attracting dust and general grime all too easily. It is becoming more recognised that teak on boats should not be treated this way. "

click on this link for more information:

Treating your boat's teak!

may help?

Nelson

RogerRat

Visit site

Agree with all advice above but one thing for sure is that there is also your personal preference as to what you think your teak should look like after cleaning.

Some owners prefer the silvering look and some prefer the artificial gold colour as per 'Tek Dek' as seen at boats shows. The bad news one for sure is teak oil, the wood remains sticky and dirt and grime is attracted to it and then makes it difficult to keep clean.

Most of the two pot treatments to clean and brighten work. 'Starbrite' teak cleaner which is readily available is good, Wessex probably has the edge (which is what I use) but more expensive.

I prefer to seal my teak but my colour choice is 'natural' and for that I use 'SEMCO' sealer from 'Onward Tading' in Hamble which is a once a season treatment that actually protects the wood and helps waterproof it.

The Teak Wonder works fine as far as I can see but the colour is very 'Bright' almost orange, like a quick-tan in beauty parlour and not for me personally.

Your profile does not mention whether you have a commercial interest in this product but just to clarify, I have none with those I've mentioned.

This is a fairly good representation of colour on 'Panache' and it's still this colour!

reardekJPG.jpg

Tugw

Visit site

Thanks for the feed back, I would prefer to keep the natural silver type colour so ill bear in mind what has been said.

Agian Thanks for your input

Nick_H

www.ybw-boatsforsale.com
Having tried a few products I prefer the powder stuff, I use Blakes. Wet the surface, sprinkle on, brush lightly across the grain, leave for 10 mins then rinse off. Lovely clean golden teak with virtually no effort and after 3 yrs use no visible detrimental effect on the teak.

In my opinion DO NOT use teak sealer (teak wonder or similar), it soon turns a horrible patchy yellow colour and needs sanding off. I made the mistake once.

Nelson1

N/A
Visit site
Teak Deck - saw this and though of you!

I just keep coming across all sorts of information regarding teak and decks. One day we will all have to stop this hardwood usage and move over to other more environmentally friendly option (I can here you all sighing when I mention environmental!)

I understand this product is also as good as the real thing but does not take hundreds of years to grow and does not need to destroy endangered habitats to harvest it… http://www.theyachtmarket.com/news/44.aspx

So when you buy your next boat and tick the teak decking option think again about Biological diversity*

And it can be jet washed as well

And no I don’t work for any of the companies I have mentioned - take care all!

*Biological diversity is the key to the maintenance of the world as we know it.... Eliminate one species, and another increases to take its place. Eliminate a great many species, and the local ecosystem starts to decay.... How much force does it take to break the crucible of evolution?

Kind regards

Nelson