TAMD 75P survey and Volvo Software

Garychill

Visit site
Hi All,

Next week I’m having a survey and sea trial of a Princess V48 with Volvo TAMD 75P engines

The mechanical engineer has queried why I’m asking for the Volvo software to be hooked up. I’ve explained that as I understand it, EDC will provide engine hours, serial numbers, current fault codes, and various values while engine is running (to help understand if gauges are working correctly). I’m also wondered if I would get historical fault codes, for example I seem to remember EDC tracks time over max rev range and possibly
time over temp.

Can anyone provide more details or any recommendations of items that should be looked at.

Many Thanks

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
Don’t think there’s much info stored in the ECUs on these although I’m certainly not an expert, just based on my own experience - I’ve got an earlier but similar engine (73P), decided it wasn’t worth trying to get plug in diagnostics on the engines during seatrial.

Richard.C

Visit site
I think it's the only true engine hours reading you will get as they will have had some run time before the boat builder installed them, shouldn't be enough to worry about though.

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
Hi All,

Next week I’m having a survey and sea trial of a Princess V48 with Volvo TAMD 75P engines

The mechanical engineer has queried why I’m asking for the Volvo software to be hooked up. I’ve explained that as I understand it, EDC will provide engine hours, serial numbers, current fault codes, and various values while engine is running (to help understand if gauges are working correctly). I’m also wondered if I would get historical fault codes, for example I seem to remember EDC tracks time over max rev range and possibly
time over temp.

Can anyone provide more details or any recommendations of items that should be looked at.

Many Thanks
Hi Gary I’m sorry I cannot inspect this one for you as you asked , for the benefit of everyone on here I can confirm that when the diagnostic key or vodia is plugged in I can read the true engine hours ( I’ve caught many sellers and brokers trying to pass off low hour engines because of the numbers in the Rev counter) , yes it’s true the dyno time is in the ecu from the moment it’s powered up . Yes there is a certain amount of history that can be read such as hours, highest run temp , lowest run temp , highest and lowest boost pressure , highest rpm ( handy when a client has been wave jumping and trying to claim for a new engine) that was more in the early days of edc, voltage and injection pump timing which is valuable when looking at injection pump issues relating to advance on the Bosch VE pump.
On the sea trial I can read all this when looking for faults related to poor performance.
The boat looks really nice , you really want someone with the diagnostic tools not just a visual eye , I did recommend Darthaven it’s about your only hope that end of the UK .
You do have my number so your welcome to call me with any questions, once again I’m sorry I cannot attend , I’ve a lot going off at the moment, travelling long distance isn’t on my agenda at the moment, I also refused a Plymouth job this week , same reason.

Garychill

Visit site
Hi Gary I’m sorry I cannot inspect this one for you as you asked , for the benefit of everyone on here I can confirm that when the diagnostic key or vodia is plugged in I can read the true engine hours ( I’ve caught many sellers and brokers trying to pass off low hour engines because of the numbers in the Rev counter) , yes it’s true the dyno time is in the ecu from the moment it’s powered up . Yes there is a certain amount of history that can be read such as hours, highest run temp , lowest run temp , highest and lowest boost pressure , highest rpm ( handy when a client has been wave jumping and trying to claim for a new engine) that was more in the early days of edc, voltage and injection pump timing which is valuable when looking at injection pump issues relating to advance on the Bosch VE pump.
On the sea trial I can read all this when looking for faults related to poor performance.
The boat looks really nice , you really want someone with the diagnostic tools not just a visual eye , I did recommend Darthaven it’s about your only hope that end of the UK .
You do have my number so your welcome to call me with any questions, once again I’m sorry I cannot attend , I’ve a lot going off at the moment, travelling long distance isn’t on my agenda at the moment, I also refused a Plymouth job this week , same reason.
Cheers Paul ! Thanks for the detailed reply. This is exactly what I was hoping for.