taking an electric outboard to Turkey

superboots

Visit site
I want to take an electric outboard on my next trip to Turkey. I have a flight booked with Sun Express which allows 30 kg hold baggage . I wonder if anyone has already taken an electric outboard by plane. If so were there any special requirements. I'm doubtful I can take the battery - which is part of unit (Epropulsion spirit ) even in cabin baggage as its over 180 watts. If that's the case any suggestions how to take it. Anything going through Turkish customs is problematic

Daverw

Visit site
Not outboard but looking at mobility scooter rules as I’m taking one tomNZ next year, if battery’s are removable limit is 180w in handluggage and can take a spare, must have terminals covered and in travel safe bag, if premaritally installed this limit does not apply as long as battery is isolated from motor and cannot be switched on. That’s my understanding from what ive been told by British Airways, would be surprised if electric outboards not similar

Irish Rover

Visit site
I want to take an electric outboard on my next trip to Turkey. I have a flight booked with Sun Express which allows 30 kg hold baggage . I wonder if anyone has already taken an electric outboard by plane. If so were there any special requirements. I'm doubtful I can take the battery - which is part of unit (Epropulsion spirit ) even in cabin baggage as its over 180 watts. If that's the case any suggestions how to take it. Anything going through Turkish customs is problematic
I'd say, expect customs to take an interest. If you have a foreign flag boat in Türkiye already, talk to your marina. There are procedures for importing items temporarily, for use on a foreign flag boat already in the country on temporary importation [transit log]. I've brought small stuff like navigation equipment in my luggage over the years, and got away with it. I got caught bringing in a calorifer a few years ago, and the initial position of the customs officer was that I would have to leave it at the airport, and engage a customs agent to process it. I persuaded him it was second hand and I bought it in Ireland for €40. I'm certain he didn't believe me but was impressed enough that I was able to argue my case in Turkish to let me go.

st599

Visit site
Not outboard but looking at mobility scooter rules as I’m taking one tomNZ next year, if battery’s are removable limit is 180w in handluggage and can take a spare, must have terminals covered and in travel safe bag, if premaritally installed this limit does not apply as long as battery is isolated from motor and cannot be switched on. That’s my understanding from what ive been told by British Airways, would be surprised if electric outboards not similar
I travel with batteries for work quite a lot. The 160Wh batteries usually need a special UN test sticker and maintenance log. There seems to be a special dispensation for mobility aids.

Items

Spare batteries for portable electronic devices containing lithium ion batteries exceeding a Watt-hour rating of 100 Wh but not exceeding 160 Wh when carried for personal use.

No more than two individually protected spare batteries per person may be carried.

Each lithium ion cell or battery must be individually protected so as to prevent short circuits (by placement in original retail packaging or by otherwise insulating terminals, e.g. by taping over exposed terminals or placing each battery in a separate plastic bag or protective pouch).

Batteries and cells must be of a type which meets the requirements of each test in the UN Manual of Tests and Criteria, Part III, subsection 38.3. It may be necessary to contact the manufacturer to confirm that they have complied with this.