Take my money!

Who

Visit site
Maybe its me but.........

Just bought a Boat, and its been transported to Portishead and put on hardstanding. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I knew it needed the engines serviced and the legs fitted with new bellows. (Mercruiser petrol's and bravo 2 drives, fairly basic stuff) Not a small job and its going to cost a little to sort out.

So, I contact TWO different service agents to give me a price. As soon as I have a price then I can authorise the work to start. Seems a normal thing to me, just to ask for a quote.

Its been 8 days now, and I have contacted them both 3 times, to ask what's going on, but I just get "Oh he's been busy". What to do a quote?

If this was the motor trade, I would get a quote the same day, easily.

The lift back in is already booked for 2 weeks time when the crane is back in operation. I think they want me in first, as my boat is blocking others in.

I just WANT to spend some money! Tell me how much and lets get on with it.

I am not difficult to please, am I ?

Anyone know of someone who wants to take some money off me?

The drives are the main bit, the engines can be done in the water.

... it must be me.

Sneds

Visit site
Or speak to Adrian at Bristol Yacht Brokerage, might also be worth asking one of the Cardiff boys if they'll travel, or if the boat is servicable, taking it over?

duppamiller

Visit site
Welcome to Portishead!

We brought our boat round from the Solent last year: the quality of the local engineers has been our only disappointment. On the south coast you'd expect same day quote and work to start within a week, or maybe a month for a really big job. Round here you might get a quote in 2-3 weeks, but expect a wait of several months before anyone steps aboard with a spanner . . . Don't get me wrong, there's absolutely nothing wrong with the quality of the work, they do a really top class job, when they get round to it.

I can't work out why things take so long, maybe it's the way it's always been, maybe there's an 'arrangement' with the marina, maybe they're getting out of their depth as the marina fills up (no pun intended!). Ultimately I think the marina management could do more - charging £10 for a 'non-authorised' engineer to work there doesn't exactly encourage competition, and they must have a major influence on which companies are based on site.

I have tried EVERYTHING to get things to happen quicker (been nice, been less nice, called them daily, gone to the yard daily, complained to the marina, tried different companies, etc, etc) but nothing has worked as yet. Actually there is one way to get them to start work immediately, and that's if the boat's completely unserviceable - so my advice would be to take a knife to the bellows!

Let us know if you find a less drastic way to get work done!