Tablet confusion

Visit site
No, this version is wifi only, and the slot you see is for the charging lead. The version you need is the wifi + cellular.

Questions keep coming to mind, may be a daft one but anyway, with the WiFi + cellular, the ipad is also a telephone, which is fine, but as I already have the i4 phone does this mean I will have to use the cellular also, in order for the PGPS to work, or can I ignore it for practical purposes when running the navionics app.

Visit site
How about
[h=1]Lenovo Yoga 10-inch Tablet (Silver Grey Metal) - Tablet (Quad Core 1.2GHz, 1GB RAM, 16GB eMMC, WLAN, BT, 2x Camera, Android 4.2)[/h]

That looks a great piece of kit, have googled the spec, doesn't say whether it has a GPS chip or not, would you know if it has.

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
That looks a great piece of kit, have googled the spec, doesn't say whether it has a GPS chip or not, would you know if it has.

Don't mean to muddy the waters but if you really want 10 inch and it's for boating use, then check out the Sony Xperia Z2 tablet. Reasonably standard Android (now on KiKtat 4.4.4), very good specs and waterproof. Mine got soaked in a sudden squall a couple of months ago but it doesn't matter. You can even use it in the shower apparently! I use Navionics HD and it is very clear and very quick to lock on to GPS / Glonass. User added info is mostly useless but you can easily turn it off.

Richard

Visit site
No, this version is wifi only, and the slot you see is for the charging lead. The version you need is the wifi + cellular.

I must be missing something, just spoke to Apple store who tell me 'all are capable of sat nav without extra hardware' all iPads that is.

ghostlymoron

Visit site
Afaik, you don't need to have a sim card inserted for gps to work. It's just that the board for wifi only doesn't contain the gps chip.
Questions keep coming to mind, may be a daft one but anyway, with the WiFi + cellular, the ipad is also a telephone, which is fine, but as I already have the i4 phone does this mean I will have to use the cellular also, in order for the PGPS to work, or can I ignore it for practical purposes when running the navionics app.

Visit site
Don't mean to muddy the waters but if you really want 10 inch and it's for boating use, then check out the Sony Xperia Z2 tablet. Reasonably standard Android (now on KiKtat 4.4.4), very good specs and waterproof. Mine got soaked in a sudden squall a couple of months ago but it doesn't matter. You can even use it in the shower apparently! I use Navionics HD and it is very clear and very quick to lock on to GPS / Glonass. User added info is mostly useless but you can easily turn it off.

Richard

Not at all, certainly looks a very good high spec tablet, costs around apple, but looking in ebay they hold a high price there also.
Are they all GPS chipped as standard do you know.

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
Not at all, certainly looks a very good high spec tablet, costs around apple, but looking in ebay they hold a high price there also.
Are they all GPS chipped as standard do you know.

Yes - all versions are GPS / Glonass equipped. I actually bought the 3G/4G version because I put the SIM card in it from a local supplier whichever country we are in and Android has an excellent wifi DHCP router software built in so everyone on the boat connects immediately to the Xperia wifi and family and friends all have access to the internet. Should add that we anchor a lot rather than stay in marinas so wifi is usually not available.

This does not affect the Z2's use for navigation at the same time so the processor is obviously up to the job.

The advantage with the wifi-only version is that the space taken up by the 3G chip is filled with another 16GB of RAM. However, I just stuck in a large 32GB microSD card so memory is not an issue even with my version.

Richard

Last edited:

Strathglass

Visit site
I have a google nexus 10 it has android 4.4.4 version on it which replaced my (now my wife's) early nexus 7. I find both of them very good but I can see the screen much better on the 10. For navigation on the 10 I have Navionics HD UK and Holland. When I looked today I could not see it on the ap store, just the non HD version. But today I had an update to it from Navionics to my 10. I use the pogo connector to charge it. This is much less fragile than the USB port and charges the tablet much faster so full brightness can be used continuously.

Last edited:

WoodyP

Visit site
Tried to buy a Hudl from Tesco. After waiting at the counter for 20 minutes while the one member of staff serving dealt with one person she then went out of the back door to a store room never to return. I was number 4 in the queue and decided life was to short to waste on the Tesco shopping experience.

VicMallows

Visit site
Tried to buy a Hudl from Tesco. After waiting at the counter for 20 minutes while the one member of staff serving dealt with one person she then went out of the back door to a store room never to return. I was number 4 in the queue and decided life was to short to waste on the Tesco shopping experience.

They were simply sitting on the shelf (with the huge security tags) in the local Tesco Metro. (Not much choice of colours though :))

Visit site

Must say my Tesco experience was much better, young guy took me through it very efficient, even went online to check Navionics availability, which at that time many were not available, but now are, wish they were 10" though.

Visit site
Yes - all versions are GPS / Glonass equipped. I actually bought the 3G/4G version because I put the SIM card in it from a local supplier whichever country we are in and Android has an excellent wifi DHCP router software built in so everyone on the boat connects immediately to the Xperia wifi and family and friends all have access to the internet. Should add that we anchor a lot rather than stay in marinas so wifi is usually not available.

This does not affect the Z2's use for navigation at the same time so the processor is obviously up to the job.

The advantage with the wifi-only version is that the space taken up by the 3G chip is filled with another 16GB of RAM. However, I just stuck in a large 32GB microSD card so memory is not an issue even with my version.

Richard
More to it than many others, especially having a router in so other wifi users nearby can access internet, but no wifi at anchor. If you have wifi to your router doesn't others also have it anyway without the need of your router, but can see the advantages all using same one on board.
I realise with the iPad only the cellular has the GPS, as the chip is on the communications board, so with the Z2's I could simple have the wifi only, as I already have an i4 phone.
The option of using it with cellular option as you do is attractive with a local SIM card, as calls usually cheaper than using UK based tarriffs for both calls to and from UK. After several months on the boat I usually end up with higher bills despite the best of intentions. Looking at Z2's for sale, they hold their price quite well but more I see the more I like.

Visit site
Boy, these threads can get very long very quickly - page6!
I've just read through to here as I was looking for Navionics/Android info.
I am considering a plotter by the wheel as I have to keep diving down below to the Nav station to check things on the plotter.
I do have paper charts & pilot books and a window I can see the plotter through but, in some situations, an old plotter at the wheel would be rather handy.
The boat has Raymarine kit so I am looking to add a 2nd C80 plotter but need to have another set of charts for it so I was costing this out and looking at 2nd hand/Update costs.
Even when you buy the Navionics Gold UK charts at £175 it's £90 to get Updates.
Now I am not wanting this thread to go into the 2nd plotter/Raymarine issues as there is tons of info on that on YBW already.
I just read another YBW thread that says the Navionics HD app has free chart updates for life and this piqued my interest after the plotter chart costs.
I have a trusty Mk1 Hudl and it has been quite impressive but I haven't used it on the boat yet.
I went to get the Navionics Android app last month and they have vanished from Google Play, there was only skiing, no UK charts.
I contacted Navionics customer service and they replied:
"Thank you for contacting Navionics. The Android Marine apps have been temporarily removed from the store while we work on correcting some functionality issues we recently discovered. It is important that we provide our customer with the highest quality apps possible. Improved Marine apps will be available soon. We apologize for any inconvenience."
I was sure the Android apps had returned a few weeks' ago but when I search today there are none.
I hope that Navionics haven't realised what a great deal this was, noticed the decline of Gold card Updates and decided to change the app deal.
The £35 app would have been a lot easier and cheaper than a £600 used plotter + charts + wiring.
I don't want the thread to dive off into the merits of a clingfilm'ed tablet vs a plotter vs 'proper' navigation - I just wondered if I was correct that the Navionics Android apps are still missing.
I received this e-mail today from Navionics:
Thank you for your interest in our products.

We have just released the Apps on the market, please, check again, thanks

Regards

Navionics Customer Service

I checked and there they all are for Android.

Visit site
I have a google nexus 10 it has android 4.4.4 version on it which replaced my (now my wife's) early nexus 7. I find both of them very good but I can see the screen much better on the 10. For navigation on the 10 I have Navionics HD UK and Holland. When I looked today I could not see it on the ap store, just the non HD version. But today I had an update to it from Navionics to my 10. I use the pogo connector to charge it. This is much less fragile than the USB port and charges the tablet much faster so full brightness can be used continuously.

Is the GPS chip built in and not network dependant, I am not familiar with the pogo connector, does it have that facility to pug in directly.

Colvic Watson

Visit site
I've followed this thread from the beginning and I'm offering my definitive advice: Please buy a HUDL2. It does everything you want. It's cheap. It runs Navionics. It has GPS. You can use club card points. Please buy one ;)