Synthetic teak decking

Homer J

Visit site
I believe there is a new product out. Lignia wood product. It’s from Wales and is resin impregnated pine - it looks quite good and is more environmentally friendly than more plastic.

It’s on p55 of this months PBO or lignia.com.

Supposed to have a 50 yr life.

Elessar

Visit site
I believe there is a new product out. Lignia wood product. It’s from Wales and is resin impregnated pine - it looks quite good and is more environmentally friendly than more plastic.

It’s on p55 of this months PBO or lignia.com.

Supposed to have a 50 yr life.

That looks really interesting. Good spot. I’d like to see that for real.

seanfoster

Visit site
Hi All,
I've been thinking about this for some time but find it very difficult to find a typical price per m2 for comparison.

Assuming I'd lay it myself (and am aware it's not the easiest of jobs) can anyone give a ballpark m2 figure for something like flexiteek including adhesive?

richardbrennan

Visit site
Another vote for Dek-King which I have in my cockpit. It's often mistaken for the real thing, and as the fuel filler is in the cockpit sole, I hate to think what a mess real teak would have been by now. However, personal preference vary.

pvb

Visit site
I've been thinking about this for some time but find it very difficult to find a typical price per m2 for comparison.

Assuming I'd lay it myself (and am aware it's not the easiest of jobs) can anyone give a ballpark m2 figure for something like flexiteek including adhesive?

If you give your boat details to Flexiteek and Dek-King, they'll give you an estimate for making up panels to your templates, so you can stick entire panels down. Don't be tempted to try to lay strip stuff yourself, it'll end in tears - the eye can detect the smallest irregularities.

Elessar

Visit site
Hi All,

The cost is in the labour and the labour is in the edging/detail. A per sq M is therefore meaningless so you need a quote.
A good solution is not a budget option even compared to real teak. But it will last and add make the boat be worth more so think value not cost.
My bathing platform, cockpit, stairs and flybridge was I think about £5k. But I can’t remember. I would remember it to the penny if I hated it.

richardbrennan

Visit site
The largest element of the labour charges in laying the Deck-King in my cockpit was actually for removing the old teak. Templating, making up and laying the new panels was relatively inexpensive. If you do this yourself you will save a lot, but depending on how your current deck is laid, it can be one hell of a job.

Yngmar

Visit site

The SVB catalogue had €/m² prices on their products:

Code:
Product         € per m²
------------------------------------------------------------
KiwiGrip         24 (1 liter per 2 m², 4 liter per can)
Treadmaster      80 (1.2 x 0.9 m sheet)
TBS Deck         86 (10m x 0.128 m roll)
SecuTred Cork   106 (1.88 x 0.5 m roll)
Dek-king        180 (10m x 0.05m roll)

Prices for adhesives, glues, labour, etc. not included.

Elessar

Visit site
The SVB catalogue had €/m² prices on their products:

Code:
Product         € per m²
------------------------------------------------------------
KiwiGrip         24 (1 liter per 2 m², 4 liter per can)
Treadmaster      80 (1.2 x 0.9 m sheet)
TBS Deck         86 (10m x 0.128 m roll)
SecuTred Cork   106 (1.88 x 0.5 m roll)
Dek-king        180 (10m x 0.05m roll)

Prices for adhesives, glues, labour, etc. not included.

Interesting but it gives you no idea of the fitted cost. It’s is all about how complex and difficult it is to make and fit.

Yngmar

Visit site
Interesting but it gives you no idea of the fitted cost. It’s is all about how complex and difficult it is to make and fit.

Since this is the Practical Boat Owner forum, the fitted cost is a pair of knee pads and the complexity we can't talk about because swearing isn't allowed here ;-)

Bobc

Visit site
Hi All,

I enquired last year (the people in Hamble), and they quoted me £110/sq.m for the product (for self fitting).

Elessar

Visit site
Since this is the Practical Boat Owner forum, the fitted cost is a pair of knee pads and the complexity we can't talk about because swearing isn't allowed here ;-)

I am a very practical boat owner and have done huge jobs that most people wouldn’t.
New engines x 4 now. A new transom. An extended engine bay. Rewiring. Recarpeting. Teak cabin sole. Removed and replaced keels. Etc etc.
It’s ok to fix down the flexiteek yourself with those knee pads but getting the panels made up ie cutting and welding the “planks” together is one for the pros if you want it to look like real teak.
Everyone is different. Someone suggested replacing teak with non slip paint. That’s a great solution if you are happy with that look. You may also be happy with DIY teak panels. I wouldn’t consider either myself but completely understand why others would.

alastair

www.javacharter.co.uk
I have about 3 years experience with it. A kind of "mixed bag".
Good points:
1) cheap
2) Looks good
4) easy to install
5) excellent anti-slip properties
6) pleasantly soft and warm feel to sit on
7) easy to repair
8) easy to wash
9) good UV resistance

Cons:
1) poor mechanical wear resistance
2) poor organic solvents and grease resistance

It can be used successfully on low traffic areas where it also won't get spilled over by fuel on oils. Anywhere else - it turn quickly ugly with the "wood" surface layer peels off exposing the black base material. If not mechanically or chemically damaged, you can get probably 5 years out of it. Replacement easy and cheap.

Many thanks for the balanced information

Lynette

Visit site
I replaced the teak (actually teak veneer over plywood) on my Moody 376 with Dek-king back in 2014. PBO published my article about it in the Nov. 2014 issue. It looked really good, if not quite the elegance of teak. But at £650 or so it was quarter the price of replacement teak, and fitting it was within my DIY capabilities.

Five years on and despite heavy wear in the cockpit it still looks decent if a little faded, provides good grip, doesn't splinter, is easy to clean, the adhesion is everywhere firm. Although there is a warning about acetone, I've not found any other kind of stain, including grease, to be a special problem. I'm not expecting to have to replace it any time soon. The only down side is that unlike teak, it gets rather hot to the touch at the height of Greek summer.

Last edited:

victoraspey

www.mcpmarine.com
We have supplied a lot of synthetic decking over the years of all types. To get the best grip just give a coarser sanding. To get the coolest just choose a light colour. To get the most durable choose 100 % virgin PVC without additives. If you particularly like the marbling choose one with an additive. Test reports are quite funny comparing grip etc and serve little compared to the skills of the welders and installers. There are other choices too. Lignia is expensive. Cork composite and EVA foam are cooler for hotter climates.