Swing keel bushes

ChrisL

Visit site
Have recently dropped out the swing keel of our Gibsea262 to find that the reason it clanks a lot is the 24mm SS pivot pin fits less than snugly through the alloy keel fixing tube which has a 33mm internal diameter.

Any recommendations on how fill this gap & secure the keel a little better? - something like a short tube of hard nylon sounds the right thing but I've drawn a blank finding any. Also would need washers of the same material 24mm internal & 50mm external.

The previous owner gave me a receipt for many hundreds relating to a boatyard replacement job - 5 years ago - but there was only one tiny sliver left of the material they used!

Thankyou

Chris Lund

<hr width=100% size=1>

snowleopard

Visit site
the swing keel sonatas used a 1" dia nylon rod as a pivot. it was tight in the case but loose in the hole in the plate. i removed one after many years use and it was hardly worn.

<hr width=100% size=1>

surekandoo

Home:Nottinghamshire Boat: Blackwater Marina, Esse
Visit site
Not a good idea to have stainless steel & aluminium in contact in salt water I wouldn't have thought.

You could try your local plumbers merchants to see if they have any MDPE (blue/blackyellow plastic) pipe in a suitable thickness/wall diameter. Have you searched for "structural nylon" on net e.g. google?

<hr width=100% size=1>

ChrisL

Visit site
Thankyou,
I've looked on internet a fair amount but the word "structural" helped weed out a lot of dross :eek:)

I'm also told there is a man who attends boat jumbles with bits of nylon etc. - but have not found him yet.

Regards

Chris

<hr width=100% size=1>

Col

Visit site
Look in the Yellow pages for plastic suppliers. You should find one locally, if not PM me & I can give you the phone no:s for a couple local to me.

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.arweb.co.uk/argallery/colspics> Cols Picture Album</A>