SW Sunk swatchway

tillergirl

Visit site
Gladys and I planned to 'do' the SW Sunk on Monday but on account of the wind we abandoned trying down there. Not too windy to get there but too bouncy for accurate data - e.g. pitching and rolling. That was the second cancellation this month. But I can report that two readers/forumites have gone through this year, one about amonth and a bit ago, the other today. Kindly both recorded depths and times at the recommended 2022 waypoints. Having just crunched todays figures and we can report very little change: no change at the west wpt, perhaps more water at the mid-wpt, perhaps 0.4m less water at the east wpt (still 2.3m chart datum).

Larry (aka Gladys) and I plan to get down there in early June (fingers cross for a nice smooth day) but in the meantime I think you can use the swatchway and use the 2022 recommended wpts: see the download at: Downloads

Thanks to the two for the trouble to check and report the data. Wish I was going down there today, blue sky and faint wind.

Plum

Visit site
Gladys and I planned to 'do' the SW Sunk on Monday but on account of the wind we abandoned trying down there. Not too windy to get there but too bouncy for accurate data - e.g. pitching and rolling. That was the second cancellation this month. But I can report that two readers/forumites have gone through this year, one about amonth and a bit ago, the other today. Kindly both recorded depths and times at the recommended 2022 waypoints. Having just crunched todays figures and we can report very little change: no change at the west wpt, perhaps more water at the mid-wpt, perhaps 0.4m less water at the east wpt (still 2.3m chart datum).

Larry (aka Gladys) and I plan to get down there in early June (fingers cross for a nice smooth day) but in the meantime I think you can use the swatchway and use the 2022 recommended wpts: see the download at: Downloads

Thanks to the two for the trouble to check and report the data. Wish I was going down there today, blue sky and faint wind.
I also went through, 3 weeks ago, just after LW but did not record actual depths. However, I did see the approx. depths I was expecting form your chartlet. I was a bit apprehensive in passing close NE of the East Barrow though.....

www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk

Last edited:

tillergirl

Visit site
Oh, I forgot to add. If you have a 2023 Navionics and C-Map you will have the 2022 contours. If you have a pre-2023 chart from either of them, you will be using the 2020 data so the swatch will be slightly out of position (the swatch migrates to the NE most years).

slawosz

Visit site
I did it twice this year. Navionics from 2022 covers it quite well. Once in LW, the waves where showing quite well where I should go. And second time was HW-3 during the night.