SW Sunk swatchway and Havengore Bridge opening times

tillergirl

Visit site
On Saturday, 25th May, Gladys and I did a quite thorough survey of the SW Sunk swatchway and I have 'crunched' the data. The result is that the swatch is still there (obvious) and remains largely as last year. But the SW knoll has advanced about 100 metres to the North. As a result I have moved the west and central waypoints - only a little but it is worthwhile. The north and north-east edge of the knoll is very steep and in consequence there is a quite distinct tide rip on the front edge of the knoll on the flood. As conditions were so benign we were able to see even the last few minutes of the flood maintained the rip and then disappear instantly at the top of the time. The cause of the rip is the flood tide comes through the swatchway from east to west, where the tide collides with the flood marching down the Barrow Deep. It is inevitable - rather like the M2/M25 junction! On one run we were passing along the front of the knoll edge and Larry had to throttle back almost to tick-over to lose almost 4kts SoG. Very localised.

Depths on the east side have maintained exactly as before. You can download the chartlet at: Downloads

Havengore Bridge opening times - Jeff, a Suffolk sailor, has created four monthly tables (June to September) showing the dates and opening times (subject to operational issues and defects of course). I thought them useful and Jeff wanted others to use the tables so I have posted the tables on the same Download pages. I hope you find them useful. Of course East Coast Pilot covers the Havengore, not me.

Thanks to Gladys for some intense work on Saturday.