Surfing is OK then ?

VicS

Visit site
Boating is not allowed but surfing seems to be OK

Polzeath beach this morning

Polzeath surfing.jpg

snowleopard

Visit site
Not banned but the RNLI 'asks' people not to use the sea for recreation because a rescue could endanger the rescuers. RNLI lifeguards have been withdrawn from beaches.

That picture looks almost deserted compared to the density of surfers on a normal day!

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Boating is not allowed but surfing seems to be OK
I think the issue with boating is that it is hard to count most of it as "exercise" and anyway not many people live close to their boats. Swimming is definitely exercise so swimming in the sea, if it's reasonably near, should be be fine and surfing is just swimming while standing up for part of the time. So all fine, I think, except that they don't look like a sensible distance apart to me. Perhaps the lens lies.

D

Deleted member 36384

I don't see what the issue is. Swimming, surfing, exercise. Going out sailing is just as good a reason for mental health as being advised to go for a walk in the park, mental health being one of the reasons people are allowed outside, not just expercise. The Netherlands don’t have an issue with citizens going to their boats provided they are all from the same self isolating group and follow social distancing guidelines.

Last edited by a moderator:

DJE

www.casl.uk.com
How about cleaning, polishing and antifouling? It usually fells like exercise.

I'm about 5 miles from the boat so I could cycle there - a bit tricky to carry all the necessary equipment on the bike though. (Might have to leave the van there with the gear in the back,) ;)

Triassic

Visit site
How about cleaning, polishing and antifouling? It usually fells like exercise.

I'm about 5 miles from the boat so I could cycle there - a bit tricky to carry all the necessary equipment on the bike though. (Might have to leave the van there with the gear in the back,) ;)

I think when the regulations came out four weeks ago the interpretation of "reasonable excuse" for leaving home was pretty much to the letter of the examples given and we saw some pretty draconian and ridiculous attempts to enforce that. Policing is something that evolves and adapts and we have now seen some "best practice" advice being offered along with a pretty good steer from both the public and officialdom as to what might be reasonable.

If I was in your shoes I would probably first establish if where the boat is is somewhere that I am allowed (i.e.: not a marina who have banned the public or a yacht club that have prohibited owners from working on their boats) and I would then consider if by going there and working on my boat am I going to be able to do it discretely (and safely) without putting others noses out of joint. I would have thought if the police actually did try and question what you are doing if you could demonstrate what you were doing, and how you were doing it, was responsible and represented no threat to others then you would be well on your way to acting reasonably.

Not a recommendation that you carry on, but just my offering on things you might need to consider.

Bobc

Visit site
and herein lies the problem. As soon as it's ok for one group of people, everyone else says "well it must be ok for me to do xxx then".

Surfing is not ok. It is not abiding by the rules. They will be stopped from doing it. Otherwise anarchy will ensue.

chrisharris

Visit site
and herein lies the problem. As soon as it's ok for one group of people, everyone else says "well it must be ok for me to do xxx then".

Surfing is not ok. It is not abiding by the rules. They will be stopped from doing it. Otherwise anarchy will ensue.
Err, which specific 'rule' is not being complied with? (That's the problem....)

D

Deleted member 36384

Bobc, that’s one way of looking at it, anarchy reigns, the other way is that more people will not follow the rules as time goes on, of that we can be certain. Also, the Police will be powerless to deal with it. Far better that the government controls the situation by expanding the guidelines.

James_Calvert

Visit site
COVID-19 FAQs

You can't drive to go swimming or surfing.

You can take a breather if your exercise is exhausting but you can't sit around just for the fresh air.

I don't surf but most people just seem to be hanging around waiting for the perfect wave. Arguably that's not exercise?

I think we need to keep our heads down and wait to see how they will relax rules and maybe tighten others as we move to another phase.

Triassic

Visit site
Bobc, that’s one way of looking at it, anarchy reigns, the other way is that more people will not follow the rules as time goes on, of that we can be certain. Also, the Police will be powerless to deal with it. Far better that the government controls the situation by expanding the guidelines.

I suspect that is exactly what will happen, in fact we have already seen evidence of more and more people relaxing or ignoring the rules. The question is which comes first, anarchy or a change in the rules. My view around politicians is that they are generally more concerned with their jobs and the next election than with doing what is best for the country, so rather than risk "losing control" they will react to the public who will be effectively voting with their feet, and give them what they want. Ultimately they don't have the ability to force the public to comply en-mass, they can manage a rebellious minority but once the general public become frustrated and lose belief in the Lockdown then it won't last long. A shame, but in a democracy the children really do run the school.

Bobc

Visit site
Absolutely agree, but let's wait for them to do that. I personally can't wait to get back to the boat, but I'm being a good boy and sitting it out until I'm told that I'm allowed to. Why can't others do that too?

Sharky34

Visit site
I don't see what the issue is. Swimming, surfing, exercise. Going out sailing is just as good a reason for mental health as being advised to go for a walk in the park, mental health being one of the reasons people are allowed outside, not just expercise. The Netherlands don’t have an issue with citizens going to their boats provided they are all from the same self isolating group and follow social distancing guidelines.
How, do they get to the beach with their boards?
Probably using motor transport, which means they have to park somewhere, which means congregating together, which aint allowed.

chrisharris

Visit site
Absolutely agree, but let's wait for them to do that. I personally can't wait to get back to the boat, but I'm being a good boy and sitting it out until I'm told that I'm allowed to. Why can't others do that too?
Totally agree, and I think that's where the vast majority of people are at the moment. I guess the risk to resuming our hobby will be what activites are considered higher or lower priority when restrictions start being lifted. It was clear from the gov briefing last night that some restrictions will be in place for the foreseeable, every group of enthusiasts will want theirs to be allowed again in the early stages, and if they are not allowed but others are, that's when rules may start to be bent somewhat......

JumbleDuck

Visit site
... they can manage a rebellious minority but once the general public become frustrated and lose belief in the Lockdown then it won't last long.
Which is exactly why I think a little bit of official relaxation is a good thing. Anyway, a complete lockdown wouldn't help much unless it lasted eighteen months.

lw395

Visit site
Last time I tried surfing, it was much more 'exercise' than anything I've done on a keelboat lately.
Driving from Launceston to go surfing is probably reasonable.
From Surrey, see you in court.

I could be tempted to take my canoe to the river. It's not far. Trouble is, one image like above and you'll have people driving 100miles to join in.

Slycat

Visit site

This blanket statement is not correct.

Local surfers here asked the police (in the relevant area), who confirmed surfing locally is acceptable

Thankfully enforcment have the power apply common sense