Sunspot 15-mast required

plimb

Visit site
The Sunspot 15 that I have recently aquired has no mast although in all other respects it is delightful and together. If anyone has any ideas where I might make contact with anyone who may have one they may sell to me I should be very grateful.

Seajet

Visit site
Hi Plimb,

welcome to the forums.

It's possible you may get a better response on the PBO bit but most of us look at both.

I know the Sunspot, have the brochure - if you'd like a scan of it please PM me.

Knowing approximately where you are would be a good start, there are lots of unused dinghies about now, maybe one from a GP14/ / Wanderer / Wayfarer etc might do ?

Andy

plimb

Visit site
Thanks Andy,
I'm in Chichester. I have the brochure thanks. I've been looking at the gp14/Wanderer/ Wayfarer rigs- they are all fractional rigs whereas the Sunspot is masthead rig like the silhouette /leisure 17 /Sunstar. But I'm not sure that matters . If I obtain a non Sunspot original rig I'll probably get it rigged professionally although more expensive than I would wish. Being stepped on the coachroof it is quite a tricky mast to raise and lower, a process I never look forward to. I'm thinking whether I could arrange a gaff or gunter rig from a skipper 12/14 or even a mirror. Previous owner went to great trouble fitting a tabernacle and making or aquiring an alley mast in two bits making appx 16' in all strongly supported by masthead stays a strange arrangement I could perhaps use to take a reasonably light gunter/gaff type arrangement. I'm not after speed at all but would like a sailplan which is fairly easy to reef.
Plimb

Last edited:

Seajet

Visit site
Hi Plimb,

well I'm in Chichester too.

I had a 10' Caricraft dinghy with a Mirror rig I fitted myself as an upgrade, but I don't think it would push a Sunspot, the weight is so much more.

The cost of a new mast is obviously out of the question, which is why I thought of dinghy rigs; it doesn't take much to rivet on a new tang at or near the masthead, then all it would take is a new longer wire for the forestay.

There are, sadly a few discarded dinghies at my club, I'm not sure how near ' the chop ' they are !

Will PM you.

Andy