Summer Sailing on the West Coast

awol

Visit site
Stornoway looking unusually sunny (wasn’t like this yesterday when we arrived). Town is a bit shabby but we really like the place, well worth a visit. Cycled out to the eye peninsula today. Strong head wind but fast run back. Off to the west coast tomorrow, probably Loch Torridon so look out for the forum burgee and come on board for a drink if you are in the area.

View attachment 118141
How empty were the pontoons?

Tim E

Visit site
Out of interest. We were at Craighouse on Jura last week. There's no visitors moorings out. The pilot says holding is poor and weedy. It's correct !
We were lucky, it was calm when we got in and so we could see to drop anchor on a clear patch.
Boats that came in later weren't so lucky - it was gusting 20-30 knots .
We saw 3 drag anchor - 2 others had disappeared when we got up in morning , but they may have left early.
There's nothing on local web sites about the lack of moorings. Worth spreading the word !

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
Out of interest. We were at Craighouse on Jura last week. There's no visitors moorings out. The pilot says holding is poor and weedy. It's correct !
We were lucky, it was calm when we got in and so we could see to drop anchor on a clear patch.
Boats that came in later weren't so lucky - it was gusting 20-30 knots .
We saw 3 drag anchor - 2 others had disappeared when we got up in morning , but they may have left early.
There's nothing on local web sites about the lack of moorings. Worth spreading the word !

We used to anchor in Lowlandman's bay approx. 3nm North of Craghouse. Good shelter from almost every direction and holding was also good. Holding was never much of an issue there with our Southerly as we'd always anchor in the same spot with about 2m depth, so close to shore at very top of the bay. Never had to bother about the tide as it's is very close to an amphidromic point and height only changes by a few inches.

We did visit Craighouse in good weather but holding wasn't great as already mentioned. I think that my wife's great grandfather had the tiny harbour built when he owned the distillery. Pity it's only suitable for dinghies.:D

SaltIre

Visit site
I used the little bay a couple of weeks ago , good sheltered spot with good holding.
That little bay is HERE.
On his excellent website Alisdair Gurney describes the main bay thus:
Lowlandman's Bay is an almost enclosed area of shallow water to the north of Craighouse. You should be able to find a sheltered spot no matter where the weather is coming from. Although the bottom is very weedy, because the the water is crystal clear there is usually no difficulty in finding a sandy patch to drop the hook on.
Lowlandmans Bay
I'm afraid I've always sailed past... :(

D

Deleted member 36384

That little bay is HERE.
On his excellent website Alisdair Gurney describes the main bay thus:

I'm afraid I've always sailed past... :(

I went in once, a couple of years ago, the small bay to the south of Lowlandman’s Bay, turned round and left. There was already a boat at anchor in there which looked very much like a Claymore. A person stuck his head out and waved. Room for two in that anchorage but I was just exploring at the time.

adwuk

Visit site

A recent compilation showing the grey, overcast and windless sailing on the West Coast of Scotland - oh, and did someone mention the midges. You can ignore the second half of the video. As awol will no doubt confirm, this was obviously not filmed in Scotland!

ctva

Visit site
No photo update tonight as only 3G, just! Stunning views of Beinn Alligin, Liathach and Eilean Mor in the setting sun.
Mind you, it was a pea souper from Stornoway till just 10nm off Loch Torridon. Still a lovely N/NE 3-4 so sailed all the way. ?

ctva

Visit site
Cancel AFK.

Crossing the Minch, approaching Loch Torridon. Don’t be fooled by the blue sky… we‘d just sailed through 8hrs pea soup!
41331B08-78C6-4305-9275-75119B73DD8B.jpeg

Beinn Alligan, Liatach looking majestic.
5375B7DA-7501-4EBF-9A21-3E4FC22B87D8.jpeg

Sunset from behind Eilean Mor.
B95DC3B2-8220-4C9A-A18F-AD30BDB58182.jpeg

Rocna, enjoying a bit of sun in 8m.
67A0CA60-8AE5-4C79-9412-1231007F6B37.jpeg

Lunch stop at Applecross.
F773062B-9460-47E1-8F9B-C708412AF571.jpeg
Sunset from Poll Creadha looking over Rassay and Rona.
90297F6B-347C-4868-8CC2-52326F95E9D9.jpeg

Two lovely anchorages but no 4G (good as no social media but you do miss the weather updates).

Have I missed anything while I was AFK?

brainstorm

Visit site
Our Rocna is working so well in Scotland that the windlass keeps blowing the main fuse. Now learnt that we should be shortenin the chain with the windlass then use the boat engine to break it out

ctva

Visit site
Our Rocna is working so well in Scotland that the windlass keeps blowing the main fuse. Now learnt that we should be shortenin the chain with the windlass then use the boat engine to break it out

Aye, we’ve quality mud up here. Better that than it comes up with no effort… ?