Summer Sailing on the West Coast

ctva

Visit site
So you have seen the marina flags at Tarbert, Harris then :)
Definitely not a union flag anywhere…
98FDC075-5FCC-4F23-B4C4-FDE67B54ABDB.jpeg

When you do (if ever) decide to return you will be gratified to know that the canal is now admitting Bellanoch residents at Crinan on Tuesdays and Wednesdays.
Thanks, kind of unofficial up till now. ?

Damn. That might have changed my decision.
I keep telling you despite the SC management, Bellanoch is the place to be…

Oh bu**er! I had forgotten the loony schedule. I had cunning plans to satisfy domestic requirements and get the boat from the Clyde to Oban for the Round Mull Race which had a plan B of Wednesday through the Crinan Canal to be in Oban on Thursday night. Looks like Plan A of yet another trip round the MoK - at least the midges won't get me.
Just tell them you are me and they’ll let you in… ?

I'm a bit worried about the plastic covered guard wires.
Due for replacement this year.

ctva

Visit site
BREAKING NEWS…

The new, under construction CalMac ferry terminal at Tarbert, Harris, (to accommodate the 4 year overdue, £200m, replacement rusting hulks ferries being built by Ferguson’s on the Clyde) has just had a wee accident, looks like no one was hurt as no ambulances and everyone in a high vis jacket is just looking to where the pile drilling machine was sitting on the scaffolding staging.

So the first pic taken about two hours ago shows the staging and plant circled in red waiting for the ferry to leave. The second pic shows the aftermath taken an hour later.

Oops!
6B939C86-85E2-4B7B-BA00-0ED19D0D5479.jpeg
2CA828DD-61FF-41D8-BDCD-D65B5346A9E0.jpeg

penfold

Visit site
The apparent longterm inability to standardise the ship/land interface astounds me. As for the most expensive ferries in the world, the least said the better.

Last edited:

JumbleDuck

Visit site
BREAKING NEWS…

The new, under construction CalMac ferry terminal at Tarbert, Harris, (to accommodate the 4 year overdue, £200m, replacement rusting hulks ferries being built by Ferguson’s on the Clyde) has just had a wee accident, looks like no one was hurt as no ambulances and everyone in a high vis jacket is just looking to where the pile drilling machine was sitting on the scaffolding staging.

So the first pic taken about two hours ago shows the staging and plant circled in red waiting for the ferry to leave. The second pic shows the aftermath taken an hour later.

Oops!
View attachment 118019
View attachment 118020
Looks like they needed to put some piles in there. Oh, wait ...

wully1

Visit site
The apparent longterm inability to standardise the ship/land interface astounds me. As for the most expensive ferries in the world, the least said the better.

Calmac were testing out the Pentland Firth fast cat for berthing compatibility around here recently so they might be going to rent one in to take the strain off the creaking hulks currently in use...
If they do get one I can’t wait to see how a Calmac full cooked breakfast stays on the plate (and in the diner) when smashing its way over the Minch.

penfold

Visit site
If they do hire it I suspect it will only see Ardrossan and Brodick; given the ongoing tonnage crisis they should buy the bloody thing.

penfold

Visit site
Get yer luverly used car ferries here! Never raced or rallied. Orcadia, yours for £400k.

503257_1.jpg

Or perhaps something a little sportier?

4239960.jpg

D

Deleted member 36384

Blame both Calmac and Ferguson for the ferry mess: one failed to finalize the specification and one started fabrication without the final specification.

Thanks should go to the Scottish Government for at least stepping in and saving jobs. The latest issue is that recruitment has failed to deliver the increase in skilled positions to improve the delivery schedule.

Ferguson’s should have never been used in the first place and Calmac should have got their specification sorted before build. I use Calmac as a capture all name.

Other threads that may be of interest