Summer Sailing on the West Coast

ctva

Visit site
Hot and humid today in Loch Duich with the first rain since Dunvegan (25th June).
3DC902F2-C12A-43AD-B60A-82A60576C114.jpeg

Still some lovely food in the Kintail Lodge Hotel made up for it.
4F57AA85-BF7C-4807-9A18-2BFAAE78F766.jpeg

Nicest thing today was as we went ashore for dinner, some stranger met us at the shore and said ‘You’re ctva, aren’t you’. @psp had popped round from Kyle and it’s great to put a face to another forum member. Lovely chat before retiring for dinner. Dinks next time!

Last edited:

ctva

Visit site
Early start this morning to catch the tide through Kyle Rhea, only to meet Elandass at the narrowest point at the southern end! We could see the whites of their eyes as they waved and took pics of Bob (pic was on wide angle so was a lot closer than it appears).
ABB03883-20D4-4F8A-AE25-943D4F7136BB.jpeg

Very shiny!

Now in Sandaig where Gavin Maxwell stayed with his otters. His cottage burnt down long ago but this is the one left which belonged to a friend.
CCAFE2EA-E95A-4CED-B87D-D878A55DF4E9.jpeg

Hot and sunny here, sitting out the ‘storms’ ?

@wully1 ’s friend enjoying the weather.
7866FB5B-6EE9-42B3-84CD-A8EB39B31387.jpeg

I forgot to say but yesterday we realised that the southern hoards are arriving as the first ‘Radio check, please’ was heard on the VHF. Not heard one for years!

Anyway, back to the G&Ts.

ctva

Visit site
What is the grey thing on the port quarter, with what looks like an orange dan buoy? Is it a holder for the dan buoy? Interested in dan buoy holders as I need a solution for a centre cockpit.
The grey is the boat hook. The pic below shows the set up of 2” plastic down pipe (finest B&Q quality) cable tied to the push pit. Brush, boat hook and two dinghy oars. The Dan buoy holder is the same but I need to shorten it. The bottom has a bolt across it to stop it. The four at the side have a crisis cross cable ties through drilled holes as stops. Works well.
931D373F-5A54-480B-B01A-0425119A8E92.jpeg

dunedin

Visit site
The grey is the boat hook. The pic below shows the set up of 2” plastic down pipe (finest B&Q quality) cable tied to the push pit. Brush, boat hook and two dinghy oars. The Dan buoy holder is the same but I need to shorten it. The bottom has a bolt across it to stop it. The four at the side have a crisis cross cable ties through drilled holes as stops. Works well.
View attachment 118290
Bet the crew on Elandess were envious when they spotted that :)

PS She crossed our bow a little bit further away off the Shiant Isles a week or so back

ctva

Visit site
Love how you have a "pot" plant under the sprayhood. No local sorce? :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
There are certain fresh culinary and cocktail ingredients one cannot be without. Parsley, basil and mint (for the G&T). Find that the Waitrose ones last for months in the pots.

Anyway, good morning happy campers. Left 0715 and now heading south. Claggy summer weather restored. 8kts wind. Mallaig on the left, Point of Sleat on the right.

A2DCE9CA-531A-4834-9C03-ED430AA14D5A.jpeg

SaltIre

Visit site
There are certain fresh culinary and cocktail ingredients one cannot be without. Parsley, basil and mint (for the G&T). Find that the Waitrose ones last for months in the pots.

Anyway, good morning happy campers. Left 0715 and now heading south. Claggy summer weather restored. 8kts wind. Mallaig on the left, Point of Sleat on the right.

View attachment 118313
We sailors call it port and starboard - not left and right. You'll get the hang of it soon...:rolleyes::)

ctva

Visit site
Are we ready for a risk assessment on string strength? :giggle:

You saying I’m not thin??? Anyway, I’ve done my h&s training in office tea making so that should cover me.

We sailors call it port and starboard - not left and right. You'll get the hang of it soon...:rolleyes::)
Ah but we’re so cool, we park the boat, drive it and use left and right to express our hipness. ?

Not Tobermory but now sitting in mucky (weather wise) Muck.

ctva

Visit site
I think that rain shower in your pic is now with us in Muck.

Anyway, going back to the start of this thread, we need more pics like that to persuade our southern friends that it is better on the south coast. Although I think it’s a tad breezy there just now. We’ve just got the gentle wash of the Atlantic swell over the outer reefs. Bliss…

Last edited:

zoidberg

Visit site
Anyway, going back to the start of this thread, we need more pics like that to persuade our souther friends that it is better on the south coast.

D'you mean like this, of Oban Bay looking southwards....

28089202817_a365748a3f_b.jpg

Or this, looking northwards a wee while later.....

39438343375_b530683af0_c.jpg

I think it was on that visit we spent 5 days of our holiday cabin-trapped, leaving it only to tip out the dinghy which was repeatedly fully-flooded.