Summer Sailing on the West Coast

AngusMcDoon

Visit site
I’d have to say no but we didn’t go to Tobermory, Oban, Gigha or any other honeypot marina / anchorage in between. Tarbert, Harris was busy the night before we got there but only three other boats in when we were there. As I said earlier in the thread, Stornoway was maybe 50% full. We were the only boat on the Kintail moorings and Scresort had empty moorings too. The rest of the time, the usual half to a dozen boats seen in a day. Very little if any VHF chatter with only the one ‘Radio check please’ call heard in the whole three weeks.

The funniest bit was on a FB Scottish sailing group where someone said they’d looked at Marine Traffic AIS and said the west coast was “rammed and as such was glad he’d decided to stay in the Clyde to avoid the crowds!” Myself and a few others actually out there fell off our proverbial seats with laughter. A real armchair sailor.
I bimbled about the Clyde for a fortnight on my way. Nothing out of the ordinary that I noticed. Campbeltown had its usual Mullers arriving & departing in a mob, but still had a spare space or two. Millport was very quiet.

The only busyness I've seen so far were the sailing club moorings in Oban where I stopped for a few hours to shop (I got the last empty mooring) and Pulldobhrain where I counted 11 masts on my way past to Barrnacarry Bay which, as an antisocial anchorer, I much prefer, & had to myself.

penfold

Visit site
Sailed to Sandbank and back today, plenty of berths in either Sandbank or Rhu; not much breeze in the firth but a little in Holy Loch. It was horrible obvs, rained continuously inbetween being inspected by the govt to make sure we're not enjoying anything.

Last edited:

ctva

Visit site
… Pulldobhrain where I counted 11 masts on my way past to Barrnacarry Bay which, as an antisocial anchorer, I much prefer, & had to myself.

Hmmm, never looked at that one. We did the same first night and stopped in Ardencaple bay.

I like the phrase, Antisocial Anchorer, I sense a group forming… need a burgee though. ?

Railbob

Visit site
I’d have to say no but we didn’t go to Tobermory, Oban, Gigha or any other honeypot marina / anchorage in between. Tarbert, Harris was busy the night before we got there but only three other boats in when we were there. As I said earlier in the thread, Stornoway was maybe 50% full. We were the only boat on the Kintail moorings and Scresort had empty moorings too. The rest of the time, the usual half to a dozen boats seen in a day. Very little if any VHF chatter with only the one ‘Radio check please’ call heard in the whole three weeks.

The funniest bit was on a FB Scottish sailing group where someone said they’d looked at Marine Traffic AIS and said the west coast was “rammed and as such was glad he’d decided to stay in the Clyde to avoid the crowds!” Myself and a few others actually out there fell off our proverbial seats with laughter. A real armchair sailor.
So I’m a real armchair sailor according to you? I suggest you actually read my post on Facebook, at no point did I say that “ I was glad to stay in the Clyde” I merely pointed out that in comparison to other years at this time the west coast looked rammed . I also pointed out that I spent 3 weeks off the West Coast and found it busy compared to what I normally find at the same time.I’m falling off my seat laughing at someone who cannot read and suffers from comprehension issues.. I used to enjoy this forum but I think I have had enough of insufferable “ experts” who apparently know everything and look at everyone else as something to be scraped off the bottom of their shoe.

Last edited:

AngusMcDoon

Visit site
Hmmm, never looked at that one. We did the same first night and stopped in Ardencaple bay.

I like the phrase, Antisocial Anchorer, I sense a group forming… need a burgee though. ?

It's need more than desire. Because I anchor on string rather then chain I often have 40m or more out, & being a funny boat I'm almost always wind bound regardless of tide & can lie the other way compared to everyone else. That would just be annoying to everyone in a tight spot like Pulldobhrain, so I head to the wide shallow gently shelving spots, of which Barrnacarry Bay is ideal. More space than the Ardencaple ones, weed free, wide, shallow, gently shelving, good shelter from 270° & midge infested*. I suggest everyone stays away to avoid the midgies & leave it to me :)

* I think I saw at least one, but it might have been a bit of fluff floating around.

ctva

Visit site
So I’m a real armchair sailor according to you? I suggest you actually read my post on Facebook, at no point did I say that “ I was glad to stay in the Clyde” I merely pointed out that in comparison to other years at this time the west coast looked rammed . I also pointed out that I spent 3 weeks off the West Coast and found it busy compared to what I normally find at the same time.I’m falling off my seat laughing at someone who cannot read and suffers from comprehension issues.. I used to enjoy this forum but I think I have had enough of insufferable “ experts” who apparently know everything and look at everyone else as something to be scraped off the bottom of their shoe.
RB, as someone who cannot read and suffers from comprehension issues, I apologise if my comment offended you for making an inaccurate statement,

“ Decided to look on Marine Traffic, the West coast is utterly rammed ? I’m glad I’m not out there right now as it was heaving two weeks ago and it looks even worse now ? “

Virtually every follow on comments confirmed the inaccuracy of your assertion. One in particular was telling of the fake news on FB in that they were in doubt about coming out to the west coast with all the ‘rammed’ comments and were reassured with all the reply’s debunking the fake news. At this point the tourism and hospitality industries everywhere needs all the custom they can get and scare stories like your comments, do not help.

As to AIS, if you look at the detail, a large number are commercial vessels from bulk carriers to wee fishing boats. There are as many leisure craft in the small corridor between Tobermory and Crinan as the entire rest of the west coast, which is understandable given the different nature north and west from there.

Anyway, fair winds and maybe we’ll meet at some point to enjoy a wee dram.

Chris

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Virtually every follow on comments confirmed the inaccuracy of your assertion. One in particular was telling of the fake news on FB in that they were in doubt about coming out to the west coast with all the ‘rammed’ comments and were reassured with all the reply’s debunking the fake news.
I'm rafted up at Ulva Ferry pontoons as I write this. It is rammed full - though I gather that the availability of wifi and some football match or other has influenced some people. All the visitor moorings at Arinagour were taken, but we always anchor there anyway. All the wee anchorages in Loch Sunart were occupied.

Still plenty of room, but it's busiest I can ever remember in the south-of-Ardnamurchan places I play.

Anyone know the Italian national anthem?

scottie

Visit site
I'm rafted up at Ulva Ferry pontoons as I write this. It is rammed full - though I gather that the availability of wifi and some football match or other has influenced some people. All the visitor moorings at Arinagour were taken, but we always anchor there anyway. All the wee anchorages in Loch Sunart were occupied.

Still plenty of room, but it's busiest I can ever remember in the south-of-Ardnamurchan places I play.

Flower of Scotland will do!

SaltIre

Visit site

ctva

Visit site

No idea but at the rugby it’s lonnnnggggg.

Anyway, I support ALL the home nations…??????? ??????? ??????? NI (cannae find their flag), unless they‘re playing us, in which case @#£& ‘em! ?

JumbleDuck

Visit site
YBW or Mull?
Ulva. However, I have just enlivened things by making the second biggest cock up of berthing so far today. I forgot how string the tide is through here. No damage done, and the sniffy onlookers proceeded to make an even bigger cock-up, so honour is satisfied.

bikedaft

Visit site
Ulva. However, I have just enlivened things by making the second biggest cock up of berthing so far today. I forgot how string the tide is through here. No damage done, and the sniffy onlookers proceeded to make an even bigger cock-up, so honour is satisfied.
:) more juicy details please

i can't talk, i almost fell overboard coming alongside in Tayvallich with no tide nor wind...

ctva

Visit site
Only been there once and anchored in the south bit as there was not enough depth to get to the pontoons and also didn't fancy being stuck waiting for HT. Being a narrow channel I can see how the tide might be 'stringy' :) .

As Bikedaft says, more details and photos... (y)

tyce

Visit site
If you had never done the West Coast before (me) and you had 3 weeks this August to do it (me), which route would you recommend.
I am travelling with older kids onboard and the missus and dog. Likes are stunning scenery, easy sheltered sailing, quiet and with a decent pub/restaurant or beaches for BBQ at the end of the day.
Obviously the weather is going to be a big deciding factor but I cant decide whether to head up the sound and out to Coll and Tiree and back down the West side of Mull or head down to Jura and Gigha etc.
Are Scarba and Lunga etc worth bit of time to explore?
We are going through the Crinan, most likely both ways.
Any sage advice would be much appreciated.

AngusMcDoon

Visit site
Rather than a fixed plan it maybe better to have options depending on the weather, which is hit & miss late in the season in August. From Crinan you can explore locally if the weather is pants, or head north in Mull direction if suitable. From there Sound of Mull & Loch Sunart are doable in most weather, but the outside of Mull, Ardnamurchan, Small Isles need better weather. Once round Ardnamurchan the Sound of Sleat & its lochs & Raasay area becomes increasingly more protected, or you can do the back end of Skye & on to the Outer Hebrides if weather permits.

Your itinerary will be completely weather dependent, especially in August when getting back against endless strong south westerlies can be difficult.

Last edited:

JumbleDuck

Visit site
:) more juicy details please

As Bikedaft says, more details and photos... (y)

Nothing very exciting. We spent the night rafted up to a friendly boat on the south side, at the bottom of the ramp

DSCF3563-e1529743727686.jpg

but decided this morning to move to the east side of the outer bay (ie port side to on the middle finger) to allow our neighbours to get away while we took the community bus to Tobermory. Let everything go, drifted slowly south, thought "this isn't too bad" nipped round to the intended berth, found hell of a tide running at the middle finger (very little at the outer one) and whanged the end of the finger coming in. Result: two nice rubber marks along five feet of hull which I am about to polish out.

The embarrassing thing is not that I did it. The embarrassing thing is that I have done precisely the same thing here before. Damn.

Relief was provided by a classic which tried but failed to get into the fuel berth (south face of pontoon), just about got onto the hammerhead, tried to get round the corner and ended up hanging downtide with two ropes to the stern, trying to pretend that's what they meant to do. And no, I will not name them.

ctva

Visit site
All really wind direction dependent. With three weeks my suggestions would be, if the wind is in the north (as it was for us to start with) head up the Sound of Mull then round Skye and back via the small isles. It's always nice to finish on the outside of Jura / Lunga and nip back in through Corryverckan (timed right, just a big pussy cat). The bay on Lunga, camas a Mhor Fhir is lovely and good for a bbq as long as no real swell from the west/south.

If the wind facilitates it, go to Coll/Tiree/Muck then to Barra, up the OH and back across and down the inner sound. Muck (Gallanach is the better anchorage) is very doable in a oner from Crinan.

Don't be phased by Ardnamurchan, The Minch or Corryvreckan. They are all simple with planning, timing and the appropriate weather.

If not already got, get Antares Charts to visit stunning and remote anchorages for unforgettable BBQ spots and wildlife watching. Also helps you avoid the madden crowds in the Tobermory - Gigha corridor.

We just went with the flow for our trip never planning more than a day or two in advance and often changing plan after upping anchor on the day!!

Let us know when you are heading through the Canal and we'll wave and say hello if we are there.