Summer 2019 Cruising Plans

graham

Visit site
Question is will this summer match last years? Spent some time in Milford Haven then got across to Ireland last year Did a lot of motoring on the way over but waited for a breeze which gave us a spectacular reach back. May do similar again this year but we dont fight the weather .

Donheist

Visit site
If I can get 5 weeks in a row, plan is : start at our home base of Procida near Naples then up through Tuscan islands, down the west coast of corsica, then costa smerelda and back across to procida.

Any tips/ recommendations for good restaurants, anchorages etc all welcome

Last edited:

PhillM

Visit site
Realistically bembridge,Ryde, cowes,Yarmouth from fareham hope to reach Poole as well. Not as exciting as others

Spent years doing similar and was / am very happy with it. A change in circumstances + joining a club that does a summer cruise that me in my 24 foot old boat can join in with, meant that last year I made it to Falmouth. Next year the club cruises starts with a cross channel to Cherbourg then eastwards for a week. I have the week before and two weeks after off work to play around the French coast. Not sure if after the cruise I will go west round towards La Rochelle or carry on eastwards up the channel on the french side and then back on the UK side. Decisions, decisions.

dunedin

Visit site
Regarding the OP’s question about the Island of Danna ......

Enjoy your cruise. Great sailing grounds.

Assume you will be taking both the relevant Imray / Clyde Cruising Club Sailing Directions with you (certainly highly recommended).
You will see from the CCC that there is a possible anchorage in Loch na Cille, west of Danna - though fairly exposed to the SW.
Also possible anchorage shown on East side by Castle Sween, though not sure how easy might be to get ashore on Danna from that side.

Passed that way many times, but not yet stopped at Danna as too many other good stops nearby.

Since looked at my boat copy of the CCC directions and discovered that we have in fact anchored twice in Loch an Cille, Danna.
- firstly a short lunch stop in 2011 - noted “great find”, and then
- overnight in 2016 - noted “plenty of swinging room”, then added “plenty of weed!” after lifting the anchor.

[3889]

Visit site
Atlantic Iberia, a brief sortie into the Med then Canaries for winter.
Last year plan was Algarve but got badly distracted by the Rias Baias so who knows what will happen?

scruff

Visit site
This year, weather permitting we'll be spending a fortnight in the Outer Hebrides and hopefully returning to the east of Skye.

Fingers crossed get a week in May also - would be nice to get back to Colonsay and if I get a settled spell to get to anchor in the Garvellachs and explore ashore.

Crisby

Visit site
Seriously - what difference does a deal /no deal make to your plans?
You got me worried.

I think he is referring to the fact that his planned cruising grounds are in the Schengen part of the EU, not everybody has the option to go further afield even if they want to.

Chris

Railbob

Visit site
Regarding the OP’s question about the Island of Danna ......

Since looked at my boat copy of the CCC directions and discovered that we have in fact anchored twice in Loch an Cille, Danna.
- firstly a short lunch stop in 2011 - noted “great find”, and then
- overnight in 2016 - noted “plenty of swinging room”, then added “plenty of weed!” after lifting the anchor.
Thanks, hopefully the weather will be kind to us and let us land.

kof

Visit site
France to Greece for July/Aug, then work way to Canaries for Oct, November across the pond to Barbados, then cruise for the winter, then back to Grenada ,San Blas for the windy season.

Railbob

Visit site
I think half the fun of cruising for me is in the planning, I've spent quite a few hours working out the route, tidal gates and more importantly where I can pick up more beer, wine and gin LOL. Of course everything depends on the weather and that's what makes a cruise really interesting, if the weather's bad where do we go and what's there ?
By the replies it looks as if most of us will have a great time and hopefully everyone will.:encouragement:

DownWest

Visit site
My boat is emigrating to Port Haliguen this March / April.
We plan to visit every month, as long as (from a purely selfish point of view) this Brexit rubbish resolves itself...

Without trying to get this transplanted to the Bxit sidethread, I see no reason why things will be difficult for Brits sailing over here. Politics is one thing, but business is what makes all those ports function. They like the brits and need the business.
Chatting to locals, they ae more worried about the local politics than UK and the 'B' thingy.