Summer 2019 Cruising Plans

yoda

Visit site
I have organised a club cruise from the Blackwater to the same events.
However, i am concerned about berthing due to the large number of yachts that will be there.
Oiusterham will possibly be solid for days before the 6Th. I am told that it was for the last big event
Where are you planning to stay?

Courseulles sur mer could be a good option. Still investigating.

Bathdave

Visit site
We're plannng to head north from the CI to the Baltic, to meet up with a couple of other boats from here going up to a Swedish persons big 50 on 21 June on a small island in the Baltic.

It's much further than we've ever been before (well excluding crewing on a TransAt) ..it looks a very long way to even get where we plan to start our cruising, and even further back, so we may yet bottle it!

Daydream believer

Visit site
Courseulles sur mer could be a good option. Still investigating.

Unfortunately they have only 20 berths for visitors 2M max draft & 12M max length,
so 2 of our boats could not get in. After that I did not bother to look at access times etc as no point. Plus, although the position is good I expect it to fill up early on & we will not be able to arrive early.

Plan so far is Le Havre (if we can pre book) or Saint-Vaast La Houge (although I have not yet researched access etc) which would be good for Cherbourg afterwards
& hire a couple of mini buses for the day. I expect that Dieppe & Fecamp will also have some sort of celebration in the week approaching, although a little too early to find out

Last edited:

Romeo

Visit site
So where is everybody heading off to this summer? I'm planning on rounding the Mull of Kintyre then heading to two specific islands namely Rona and Danna. I have been promising for years to take my wife Rona to "Rona" and her sister Danna to "Danna" and have finally given in . Does anyone know of an occasional anchorage on Danna for a couple of hours whilst we visit the island?

I have the advantage of drawing less than 2 feet. Such are the joys of dinghy cruising that we went right up the inland sea (at HW at least) entered off Loch Sween. I suspect that a deeper boat could moor in the entrance to that, but have not checked because we do not need to! We camped on the Ulva side. Lots of Ospreys. Stunning and of course had the place to ourselves. Lovely part of the world.

20768189_1571878952863270_6453212779508951268_n.jpg

Railbob

Visit site
I have the advantage of drawing less than 2 feet. Such are the joys of dinghy cruising that we went right up the inland sea (at HW at least) entered off Loch Sween. I suspect that a deeper boat could moor in the entrance to that, but have not checked because we do not need to! We camped on the Ulva side. Lots of Ospreys. Stunning and of course had the place to ourselves. Lovely part of the world.
Thanks Romeo,
Unfortunately we draw slightly more than two feet :grumpy::grumpy: I think we’ll anchor off on the other side near to the moorings,it’ll mean a slightly longer dinghy trip but we are only stopping off for an hour or so.

20768189_1571878952863270_6453212779508951268_n.jpg

Quandary

Visit site
The warden there would like to charge you £1 for landing on his employer's island. :disgust:

As much as that! Jings.

It would not put me off and there must be a good reason for it. He is a good guy, always willing to help yachties and not unfamiliar with the right to roam.
To the OP, one of the best anchorages on the West coast with great shelter. Rona is a timewarp with only one permanent family nowadays, it is easy to imagine the postie and the lighthouse keepers hardship coming across from Raasay in a small boat and getting across the island from end to end in winter weather. On the east side along a steep rough path there is a cliff top cave formerly used as a church, people still get married there. Just across the water on Raasay is Calums road, another example of island toughness, built by a crofter to try to keep his neighbours and family from having to leave the island. Our favourite fair weather stop off is the old fishing station at the big sandy beach behind the islands at Red Point in the mouth of L. Torridon, and if you get that far, trot on round to Gairloch.
The Inner Sound has great cruising and some interesting west coast villages, Plockton, Applecross, Sheildaig in L.Torridon, Badachro, Flowerdale in Gairloch and on the other side Portree, Rona, Raasay, you will need a fortnight. It is sheltered by Skye so you can move most days.

pagoda

Visit site
We're plannng to head north from the CI to the Baltic, to meet up with a couple of other boats from here going up to a Swedish persons big 50 on 21 June on a small island in the Baltic.

It's much further than we've ever been before (well excluding crewing on a TransAt) ..it looks a very long way to even get where we plan to start our cruising, and even further back, so we may yet bottle it!

Sweden can be gorgeous. Just bear in mind it is likely to be BUSY. There is a very different ratio of citizens:boats there - utterly unlike the UK! And almost as many rocks...

AndrewB

Visit site
I'd LOVE to be offering something positive to this thread. But with both SWMBO and I facing major surgery, this will be a quiet year.

Or will it? With the threat of Brexit to our freedom of manoeuvre in Europe, maybe we'll be making a mad dash from Greece back to Blighty. So if you pass a yacht helmed by someone in plaster casts with a crew propped up by a a drip stand ... give us a wave.

Last edited:

Nichlas

Visit site

West cost of Sweden i busy during July and harbours are sometimes full after 15:00.
June and August are slow. The same goes for the area around Stockholm.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
I'd LOVE to be offering something positive to this thread. But with both SWMBO and I facing major surgery, this will be a quiet year.

Or will it? With the threat of Brexit to our freedom of manoeuvre in Europe, maybe we'll be making a mad dash from Greece back to Blighty. So if you pass a yacht helmed by someone in plaster casts with a crew propped up by a a drip stand ... give us a wave.

Just to say Andrew we both be happy to sign your plaster cast , good luck to both of you hope it all goes well .

Teko

Visit site
Realistically bembridge,Ryde, cowes,Yarmouth from fareham hope to reach Poole as well. Not as exciting as others

Teko

Visit site
If you enjoy it, go for it and to hell with how "exciting" others find it!

Cheers JD. 2018 was out first full season sailing the big boat (27ft) with my Mrs who isn't a sailor the 2 boys who are 3 and 6 and the dog. We currently aim for places with a decent beach

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Cheers JD. 2018 was out first full season sailing the big boat (27ft) with my Mrs who isn't a sailor the 2 boys who are 3 and 6 and the dog. We currently aim for places with a decent beach

One of the very nicest trips I have ever done on my boat (26') was a long weekend round the Clyde with a young friend of my young crew. We didn't try to go far - just looked for nice beaches and interesting places after short hops. I had more fun in four days than I have had in multiple-week trips.

dolabriform

freewheeling.world
One of the very nicest trips I have ever done on my boat (26') was a long weekend round the Clyde with a young friend of my young crew. We didn't try to go far - just looked for nice beaches and interesting places after short hops. I had more fun in four days than I have had in multiple-week trips.

+ 1000 :)

chrishscorp

Visit site
Realistically bembridge,Ryde, cowes,Yarmouth from fareham hope to reach Poole as well. Not as exciting as others

This will be our 3rd season on the big boat 26', berthed a bit further down the harbour than you. Better short fun trips than putting people off the idea. We had not ventured beyond Poole before, untill last year when we pottered very leisurely down to Dartmouth and back. hoping to get to Falmouth this year, timings and weather windows can be tricky when your both working.

You should put East Head on the to do list, bbq on the beach and anchor overnight, no facilities or pub but can get a stunning sunset and maybe a sighting of one of the seals