Suggestions to avoid dropping cotter pins in the water

Oscarpop

Visit site
We are unstepping the mast next week while in the water. The last time I had to remove a cotter pin from the vang, it was a little stuck, so was tapping it gently with a hammer to dislodge it, and it bounced over the side.

Can you suggest tips to stop this happening again? Holding a cloth against the other side is one thing, and having an umbrella opened under the forestay is another.

Anything else?

Cheers

Visit site
We are unstepping the mast next week while in the water. The last time I had to remove a cotter pin from the vang, it was a little stuck, so was tapping it gently with a hammer to dislodge it, and it bounced over the side.

Can you suggest tips to stop this happening again? Holding a cloth against the other side is one thing, and having an umbrella opened under the forestay is another.

Anything else?

Cheers

Laying a towel on the deck cuts down the tendency to bounce, in addition to the cloth hanging over the guard wires.

Neeves

Visit site
Cotter pin or clevis pin? If a cotter pin, it is usual practice not to use them again.

My understanding only - I thought they were single use. I have a couple of packs of spares of different sizes. They tend to break if worked too much. They are hardly expensive and given they are fairly critical - I'd use new ones.

Jonathan

alan_d

Visit site
I think there is a transatlantic difference in what is meant by a cotter pin. In US usage what we call split pins are called cotter pins, while we retain the term cotter pin for the thing the split pin goes through.

Neeves

Visit site

reeac

Visit site
Cotter pins were much used to fasten a crank to a bottom bracket spindle on a bicycle although spline type fastenings seem to have taken over. The secret with cotter pins was to file them if necessary so that when installed with a smart tap from a hammer the threaded bit protruded the appropriate amount to accommodate the washer and nut. Never try to tighten a cotter pin by turning the nut which is just there to keep things in place.

bbg

Visit site
To answer the OP, I would have thought that taping a loop or basket of duct tape on the far side of pin (whatever kind of pin it is) to fall into would work.

Also, a tight loop of dental floss around the end once it begins to protrude. A bucket underneath the fitting. Lots of possibilities.

LadyInBed

montymariner.co.uk
Assuming you mean Clevis Pin, give it a light tap to get the head to protrude then wrap and tie soft wire / string / tape round the shaft just below the head. attach the other end of soft wire / string / tape to something fixed to the boat!

langstonelayabout

Visit site
In the great traditions of the USA, what we Brits call clevis pins they seem to call cotter pins (what they call cotter pins I don't know...).

Assuming that the OP means clevis pins, then he just has to take his chances like the rest of us, remembering not to re-use the split pins that he removes prior to removing the clevis pins.

On a different but related subject; when I raced dinghies, we always used split rings to retain clevis pins. When I moved to cruisers such practice was anathema as split pins must be used. Does anyone know why this is and at what size of boat each should be used (i.e. 20' and larger should have split pins)?

rogerthebodger

Visit site
On a different but related subject; when I raced dinghies, we always used split rings to retain clevis pins. When I moved to cruisers such practice was anathema as split pins must be used. Does anyone know why this is and at what size of boat each should be used (i.e. 20' and larger should have split pins)?

A split ring can be pulled out is a flapping sail gets caught on the exposed end or the ring.

With a split pin this cannot happen.

Also on dinghies a split ring makes it easier to take down the rig when packing up to go home. This is not a requirement on a cruiser.

alahol2

www.troppo.co.uk

Many years ago, on our first 'cruiser' (Vivacity 20) I thought I would be clever and use split rings so they could be easily re-used every year. A couple of weeks into the season I noticed one of them had gone. Prompted to have a look around I found that 3 of the total complement were missing. Needless to say split rings are a thing of the past in my rigging.