Suggestions please - competitive club racer, some comforts, £18k

mrming

instagram.com
The Beneteau First 300 Spirit fits all requirements perfectly, rating at 0.937, easy to cruise double handed (my wife and I took her to Ireland (Howth) from Holyhead in 8 1/2 hours tied up to tied up. She surfs a dream, has a rudder that grips, standing room etc. She's up at £25k with NYB Conwy but I'm keen to take offers (it is going to be more than the £ 18k you were hoping for!), even if you don't buy mine I can't recommend them highly enough, stiff well built and no discernable vices.

I've always thought these were very pretty boats. Way over budget unfortunately though. Yours looks very nice - good luck with the sale. :)

Cris Miles

Visit site
Thanks, I took her to Scotland a few years ago and a guy asked me on the jetty if she was new! (should have gone to specsavers). She was one of the first modern designs which is why she still looks very much the part. "Way over budget"? You haven't made an offer! All the best with the search, regards Cris

PeteCooper

Visit site
My mate has a J30 that I raced on for years. Seemed roomy to me and he single-hands a lot. They used to be quite rare over here, although common in America, but he was telling me the other week that there are more over here now. He also tells me that one survived the 79 Fastnet(possibly his - not sure). Anyway they seem like a good quick cruiser - he paid a lot less than £18k.

mrming

instagram.com
There's an Olson 30 on Yachtworld.

http://www.yachtworld.co.uk/boats/1982/Olson-30-2721811/United-Kingdom#.VwuMM_krJhE

Quite how that boat ended up there is beyond me, but I believe those things have a good reputation as a fast boat in the states, certainly seems light. Seems to come with plenty of sails, although if you have sensitive eyes, it might be worth budgeting for a new kite...

We've been drooling over that for a while. Sadly the 4' 5" headroom will not fit the "more space" part of the brief. :)

My mate has a J30 that I raced on for years. Seemed roomy to me and he single-hands a lot. They used to be quite rare over here, although common in America, but he was telling me the other week that there are more over here now. He also tells me that one survived the 79 Fastnet(possibly his - not sure). Anyway they seem like a good quick cruiser - he paid a lot less than £18k.

Yes this would be ideal. Can't see any for sale in Europe at the moment unfortunately.

markhomer

Visit site
A David Thomas toledo (1/2 tonner ) built by nick stratton yachts should be in your budget with decent sails too ,if lucky , they are flying machines if you can find the right one , sustainable surfing when windy , no real bad habits ,although they look similar they had remarkeably different performance , due to keel material , hull layup , rig sizes , i used to race one called djinn seng , crewing for nick , which cleaned up inshore and offshore , we raced class two but rarely saw boat in our class , our main competion across water being class one boats .

If you found this would be good , there was another really quick one called defiance which came up for sale , but you best check any others out , race history wise .

They are pretty roomy inside too ,

Another boat that sail out its skin was a laser 28 .

A good j would fit the bill , ideal but not in that budget ,

Flog the kids and a couple of kidneys and buy a j109

Last edited:

mrming

instagram.com

Almost. I had assumed that a Figaro 1 wouldn't rate too well on IRC in a round the cans / w-l situation. Is that the case or is it actually workable?

A David Thomas toledo (1/2 tonner ) built by nick stratton yachts should be in your budget with decent sails too ,if lucky , they are flying machines if you can find the right one , sustainable surfing when windy , no real bad habits ,although they look similar they had remarkeably different performance , due to keel material , hull layup , rig sizes , i used to race one called djinn seng , crewing for nick , which cleaned up inshore and offshore , we raced class two but rarely saw boat in our class , our main competion across water being class one boats . ...

...Another boat that sail out its skin was a laser 28 .

A good j would fit the bill , ideal but not in that budget ,

Flog the kids and a couple of kidneys and buy a j109

Will keep an eye out for one of those. Most Thomas boats are pretty great handicap performers. Laser 28 is a great boat but they rarely come up for sale.

Judders

Visit site
There was a Figaro 1 in JOG a few years ago that rated well enough to win a shed load. The owners went onto another boat and have done ok but not as awesome so that suggests they can rate well. I think you need to lose the water ballast for that.

There is a Laser 28 for sale in Weymouth called Farr Out o4rsome such.

mrming

instagram.com

flaming

Visit site
Almost. I had assumed that a Figaro 1 wouldn't rate too well on IRC in a round the cans / w-l situation. Is that the case or is it actually workable?

Look up the race results of Black Diamond GBR6733R, especially at Cowes.

Birdseye

Visit site
We've been having so much fun racing our little boat, we're starting to think about a bigger one :).

The brief:

£18k total budget, on the start line and ready to compete. This includes purchase, transport to East coast UK (if necessary) and any upgrades needed such as new sails etc. If it doesn't have a good engine it needs to acquire one within that budget.

Accommodation for 2-3 adults and 2-3 kids for short stays. No real luxuries needed apart a bit of a space, a cooker, some kind of dining table (this can be jury rigged), and a loo.

30-33ft (Impala is slightly too small).

Must be able to surf downwind - not a skinny transomed broach coach.

Must be a sailors boat with great performance rather than a caravan which rates well. A racer-cruiser if you will.

Must be easy on the eye (subjective I know).

Not asking much am I? ;)

What would the panel suggest?

IMO you re asking too much wanting a modern lightweight ( it has to surf) 30ft boat with decent racing sails and a working engine delivered to the East coast, all for 18k. The "has to surf" bit implies IRC racing which in turn implies fancy sails. Cut out the surfing bit and go NHC and there is no shortage of suitable boats.

mrming

instagram.com
IMO you re asking too much wanting a modern lightweight ( it has to surf) 30ft boat with decent racing sails and a working engine delivered to the East coast, all for 18k. The "has to surf" bit implies IRC racing which in turn implies fancy sails. Cut out the surfing bit and go NHC and there is no shortage of suitable boats.

I should clarify, it doesn't have to be modern or extremely lightweight. I want to avoid the skinny transom era of IOR boats which roll downwind. I'd like it to be able to catch a wave when it's honking, but the main aim is to have a boat which is well behaved off the wind.

Mrnotming

Visit site
Hi Mr Ming and OP's.

I'd almost forgotten about these, one of which I used to race against in IOR and sometimes got clobbered in ISORA (Irish Sea Offshore Association).
Robertsons of Sandbank used to fit them out and the finish was good.
I have no idea how one would measure up on the newer fangled handicaps!
http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=5438

and:http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?87186-Albin-Comfort-30
and an Albin ballad https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jer...2zxHuF4Dexz1n4vsYu22qN8tyg7HmJlf-z2kc2H07h1GL

Last edited:

Birdseye

Visit site
I should clarify, it doesn't have to be modern or extremely lightweight. I want to avoid the skinny transom era of IOR boats which roll downwind. I'd like it to be able to catch a wave when it's honking, but the main aim is to have a boat which is well behaved off the wind.

Thats a bit different to "surfing" off the wind and opens up to boats like the Sigma 33. Thats one of the few that you could race under all three options, IRC, NHC, and one make fleets. And its a passable cruiser

flaming

Visit site
Another thought occurred when I saw one this weekend. How about an X-99? Or an X-95 if you can't find a 99 in budget?

mrming

instagram.com
Another thought occurred when I saw one this weekend. How about an X-99? Or an X-95 if you can't find a 99 in budget?

Very nice boats. A little over budget and also have running backstays (and possibly even checkstays). If I could find one at the right price with a simpler fractional rig it would be perfect. The ones I've seen all have very nice interiors so they'd be ideal for the bit of local family cruising we'd be doing.