Suggestions please - competitive club racer, some comforts, £18k

mrming

instagram.com
We've been having so much fun racing our little boat, we're starting to think about a bigger one :).

The brief:

£18k total budget, on the start line and ready to compete. This includes purchase, transport to East coast UK (if necessary) and any upgrades needed such as new sails etc. If it doesn't have a good engine it needs to acquire one within that budget.

Accommodation for 2-3 adults and 2-3 kids for short stays. No real luxuries needed apart a bit of a space, a cooker, some kind of dining table (this can be jury rigged), and a loo.

30-33ft (Impala is slightly too small).

Must be able to surf downwind - not a skinny transomed broach coach.

Must be a sailors boat with great performance rather than a caravan which rates well. A racer-cruiser if you will.

Must be easy on the eye (subjective I know).

Not asking much am I? ;)

What would the panel suggest?

Last edited:

roblpm

Visit site
Ok. Slightly over budget (asking 26k on yachtworld) and slightly too small (29 feet), J92?

mrming

instagram.com
Thanks for the suggestions so far. I love the J/92 but it's too small inside and slightly over budget. The Mustang 30 looks like it would be a sweet sailer but again it looks very small down below. The H-323 is a cool boat but they don't come up very often.

roblpm

Visit site
Ok I'm going to keep going....

Search on yachtworld reveals

X102 7700lbs sad 27.9
First 30e 7055lbs sad 17
Dufour 31 9600lbs sad 14

So anyone know anything about an X102. 25k on yachtworld but offer them 18?!

Judders

Visit site
Even if they take the £18k, that's the total budget.

Even if you're not too fussy, you're going to end up spending £3k minimum on an old boat to get it to your liking (and that's if you're clever and handy).

This one has me stumped. If you take out the planing requirement then it's easy but with it...

You might just pick up a Dehler DB1 or some such.

Perhaps get over to Holland and see what they've got next time the £ is strong.

Judders

Visit site
As it goes I'm posting from my Impala and I agree, the interior is too small. I said not fifteen minutes ago that On mornings like this I wish we had a less race orientated saloon and a table I could sit at. That's with just me and one other onboard.

mrming

instagram.com
robplm - the X-102 is over budget and that one looks very tired meaning it would need a lot more spending. The other two aren't really competitive unfortunately although would fulfil the weekending side of the brief very well.

Judders: Just to clarify - it doesn't have to plane - just don't want a narrow transom and the associated downwind rolling. It should have a broader transom and be capable of catching a wave, but planing isn't a requirement. Sailed on some mates' Impala for 15 years and while I love the boat, as you say the interior is too small for what I'm after. The other option you mention is to pick up a very sad half tonner for £3k and use the rest of the budget to bring it back to club racing spec. I'm a bit shy of this just now however as we're about to take on a house project. Really I want to buy something in half decent order for £10-12k and spend the rest on sails and the odd smaller thing. At this money I think the trick will be to find a racier IOR style boat from after the pinched transom era.

Boo2

Visit site
Just remembered that I posted a similar question on this thread a while back. Out of the boats posted I thought the Whitbread / Mountgay 30 came closest at a reasonable price. There's one on YachtWorld here for £20k but I expect you might get it for £15k if you tried

Boo2

uknij

Visit site
How about a Limbo 9.9/33
A modified one called Abrasive used to do well at Ramesgate and Flashback was a heavily modified one Robbie Stewart built in the mid 90's

Georgio

georgeisted.blogspot.com
Good shout on the limbo 9.9, I see them occasionally for not a lot of money and think they would make a good and relatively inexpensive racing platform (assume the one bought didn't need tons on money on gear and sails).

mrming

instagram.com
Just remembered that I posted a similar question on this thread a while back. Out of the boats posted I thought the Whitbread / Mountgay 30 came closest at a reasonable price. There's one on YachtWorld here for £20k but I expect you might get it for £15k if you tried

Boo2

Ah yes I remember that thread and in fact the Whitbread was my suggestion as I used to sail on one. The difference with this situation is the boat must be able to compete at a club level on IRC. Although the Whitbread 30 is fantastic fun, it's just not competitive around the cans.

How about a Limbo 9.9/33
A modified one called Abrasive used to do well at Ramesgate and Flashback was a heavily modified one Robbie Stewart built in the mid 90's

Good shout on the limbo 9.9, I see them occasionally for not a lot of money and think they would make a good and relatively inexpensive racing platform (assume the one bought didn't need tons on money on gear and sails).

Yes I do like the Limbo 9.9s and the grey stripy one that was for sale about a year ago looked very cool. Unfortunately the only one for sale at the moment is in full cruising spec with sails and engine from 1982, and asking £16k - so clearly that's not going to work! :D

Cris Miles

Visit site
The Beneteau First 300 Spirit fits all requirements perfectly, rating at 0.937, easy to cruise double handed (my wife and I took her to Ireland (Howth) from Holyhead in 8 1/2 hours tied up to tied up. She surfs a dream, has a rudder that grips, standing room etc. She's up at £25k with NYB Conwy but I'm keen to take offers (it is going to be more than the £ 18k you were hoping for!), even if you don't buy mine I can't recommend them highly enough, stiff well built and no discernable vices.