Suggestions for a bilge keel yacht with good headroom

Tranona

Visit site
yes, thanks, sound advice, it's always baffled me as to why an old diesel truck / van can still run fine after 150K miles but people are so ready to jettison an old engine in a boat which will have done a fraction of the work in the same time
They die of neglect, not overuse. Rarely does the base engine fail - it is the "marine" bits, particularly cooling related. Corrosion for seawater cooled engines like the Bukh or heat exchangers for fresh water cooled, electrics, exhausts. However the Bukh is old style heavy construction and is still used in lifeboats world wide so spares are available (although expensive like most things marine) and rebuilding is easy. Hence my observation about the availability of reconditioned units. When I was having a new Beta 30 fitted into my boat my next door neighbour in the yard had a replacement Bukh 20 fitted to his Fulmar. Even though he had all the "bits" like exhaust, fuel system, shaft seal etc replaced his bill was nearly £4k less than mine.

The Bukh is large heavy and not as refined as modern engines based on Japanese industrial engines there is little reason why a well maintained one should not continue to give good service.

Shearwater1

Visit site
That is correct, and often if there is a notional1.85m it is only in a small area and quickly drops as you go forward. However I am 1.9m and was comfortable when I sailed regularly in a Sabre. I have also been on a Konsort and felt it was very spacious with not only good headroom from the companionway forward to the forecabin, but the extra beam and wide coachroof meant the headroom was over a greater area of the main cabin. One of the reasons for buying my GH31 was the headroom which is 2m from the galley forward to the forecabin.

As the OP is planning to spend long periods of time aboard it is perhaps just as important to look at berth lengths, particularly for sleeping, usable storage space, lounging space and toilet facilities. You don't actually spend much time standing up and many layouts are poor from a seating point of view. Short waterlines and narrow beams on boats that might be on the OPs list don't help in this respect when the market required at least 5 berths! A comparison between 2 front runners highlights the difference that greater LWL and beam can make.

Sadler 29 LOA 28'5" LWL 22'10" B 9'6"
Konsort LOA 28'10" LWL 25'6" B 10'9"

These 2 were sort of competitors but the difference in usable interior space is massive. The Konsort has more interior space than my GH

It may help the OP to trawl through here yachtsnet.co.uk/archives.htm as although he won't directly get headroom data it will give a good idea of what each design offers.
thanks, yes, the Sabre 27 is a really interesting line of enquiry

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
How about one of the smaller Moodys? Perhaps someone on here will know what headroom they offer. Or a Westerly Griffon maybe?
Stag 28 and Seal 28 both have good headroom I seem to recall. Both are lifting keel boats.
My Moody 31 has about 6' headroom - a friend who is over 6' never had a problem. I am 5'6" and never even think about the possibility of banging my head!

PaulGS

Visit site
I'm 5'8'' and I can vouch there's 2-3" clearance above me all over the saloon on my Sabre 27. And btw, for £12k I'd be expecting to find one hell of a nice boat in the present state of the market!

Shearwater1

Visit site
thanks, that's helpful info. A lot of data on various websites is plain inaccurate so to hear this from an actual owner is reassuring before making the long drive to view one