Suggest a routing - Scilly to Ardfern

Ex-SolentBoy

Visit site
Sailing from Scilly to Ardfern late April/early May.

Is it possible to do it in a series of day sails? If so, where would you call into?

44ft boat, draws 2.1m, passage planning speed 7 knots.

Many thanks

Last edited:

snowleopard

Visit site
Padstow, Lundy, Milford then either up the Irish coast or head for the Menai straits, IOM, Carrickfergus, Gigha, Ardfern.

Last time I did that trip I was in a hurry so did Falmouth - Craobh in one hit - 51 hours.

Quandary

Visit site
Howth or Dun Laoghaire; Bangor, Gigha , Ardfern: 2 kts of tide in the N. Channel so you will make good speed. ( Dun Laoghaire to Bangor is 100m and the tide is not as strong as further North)
Other straightforward ports reasonably easy to enter in fair conditions include Arklow and Wicklow;
Ardglass, Glenarm, Port Ellen, Craighouse are accessible in all conditions if you need to shorten or vary any of the legs.
Bangor is slightly closer to your route than Carrickfergus so you can pick up a fair tide earlier and the approach from the south through Copeland Sound is well buoyed.

gardenshed

Visit site
Prevailing wind is from the west so I'd suggest opting for the Irish coast. Howth or Dunlaoghaire are good stops, then Ardglass or just keep going. The Irish Cruising Club "East and North Coasts of Ireland Sailing Directions" would be a useful reference before the trip.
Try to avoid arriving at the top of the sound of Jura in the dark. Gigha or Craighouse are good stops before that final leg.

Juggler7823

Visit site
Scillies to Ardfern

Kilmore Quay, Arklow or Wicklow, Dun Laoghaire or Howth, Ardglass, Bangor or Carirckfergus, Rathlin, Port Ellen or Ardminish Bay on Gigha, Ardfern. Only long day is the first so you should be fresh for it. Easy day trips otherwise.

fmoran

Visit site
Do Howth in an overnight, then Ardglass, Bangor, Gigha and Ardfern with day sails. Kilmore Quay or Arklow also involve an overnight and will just add another day to the trip - also Kilmore Quay to Howth is another long day, about 15 hours!

Quandary

Visit site
While I do not want to discourage anyone from visiting Rathlin, it is a bit of a diversion from your route. I have not been there since 2009 and we got in without problem just after low water (1.8m. draught) but there were a group of larger boats from Coleraine Marina who weekend there regularly and they were waiting for half tide to get out to go home. They were surprised we made it to the pontoon without touching. If you are coming from the south you will be arriving around low water. It is not dangerous just perhaps inconvenient. The harbour may have been dredged since but it is a sandy bottom so can change rapidly.
If you leave Bangor at the top of the tide you will be past the Mull of Kintyre lighthouse at slack water and the much slacker flood will be under you to Gigha. Passage time is under 11 hours; even less for you. If the wind is south it is no harm to be a bit early at the Mull as it is much more comfortable with wind and tide together.

PS if you want to borrow from my library of slightly out of date spare West Scottish Sailing Directions send me a PM.

Last edited:

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
If you leave Bangor at the top of the tide you will be past the Mull of Kintyre lighthouse at slack water and the much slacker flood will be under you to Gigha. Passage time is under 11 hours; even less for you. If the wind is south it is no harm to be a bit early at the Mull as it is much more comfortable with wind and tide together.

I haven't ever done it this way round but heading south we have done both Gigha and Port Ellen, Islay to Bangor in a tide and a half or less.

Quandary

Visit site
I haven't ever done it this way round but heading south we have done both Gigha and Port Ellen, Islay to Bangor in a tide and a half or less.

Impressive; we used to do Carrickfergus to Gigha at least a couple of times a year in our old Sigma 38 but rarely in less than 9 hours and that invariably involved motoring for two or three hours when the wind went light as it always seems to north of Macrahanish. The OP cruises at around 7 knots so my 11 hours are very pretty pessimistic for him unless it is neaps and he has to beat.

Sybarite

Visit site
Sailing from Scilly to Ardfern late April/early May.

Is it possible to do it in a series of day sails? If so, where would you call into?

44ft boat, draws 2.1m, passage planning speed 7 knots.

Many thanks

The times I've gone north it was Scilly to Arklow (about 36/40 hours) then Dun Laoghaire or Howth: Howth to Ardglass or Bangor or Carrickfergus depending on urgency and progress.