Suez blocked.

BurnitBlue

Visit site
Just imagine if it had been a warship! :eek::eek::eek::eek::)
!
During Desert Storm the canal was closed for many days to allow US nuclear carriers to transit on a deserted canal. Merchant ships were anchored in Lanarka bay waiting. I was in the "cuckoos nest" the local bar telling this guy who was an engine room engineer willing to listen to my engine problems on my boat in the marina. Water in the sump oil. "Mmmm" he said "lets take a look. I'm bored stiff". So off we went to my boat. "Mmmm" he said. "Got any block and tackle" So he took the engine out a heavy 4 cylinder MD21. Mmmm, got any tools, so he took the cylinder head off. Mmmm then took the sump off, looks like an indenor(?) Block. You need new piston rings. Quicker to buy four new pistons as well. Nip down to the peugeot dealer and get the parts. They use indenor blocks. I will be back tomorrow. Amazing they were in stock so next day he turns up changes the pistons and oil seals. Puts the engine back, reconnects all the bits gearbox, shaft, electrics. Quick start up OK. I forced some money on him. He walked back to the Cuckoos nest.

The point I want to make is that he was the most knowledgable engine man I had ever met. He handled that engine as if he designed it himself. Totally competant. Two days and I had an almost new engine. Since then I have met a few engine room engineers and they all were extremely competant. With thay same competance in my field of Electronics they would have been paid a fortune.

capnsensible

Visit site
I transited Suez on HMS Glamorgan, a guided missile destroyer. My special sea duty man station was on the tiller flat in case the steering broke. It was a tad warm.

Gixer

Visit site
I transited Suez on HMS Glamorgan, a guided missile destroyer. My special sea duty man station was on the tiller flat in case the steering broke. It was a tad warm.

Just watched HMS Glamorgan launch a Sea Slug on youtube!
Were you on board during the Falklands?

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
Next refloating attempt will be at this evening’s high water. I’ve seen some pictures of the bow from Evergreen but I don’t have permission to post them. She is about two metres out of her draft forward so a good salvage man will already have calculated the ground effect. The SCA seem to be working on clearing the sand under the bow bulb and in way of the thrusters (which obviously she can’t use). I’m sure they know what to do.

edited to add - from photos taken from the bank on the north (port) side one can see these she made quite a spirited attempt to invade Sinai and her bow bulb is actually ashore by about a metre. Seeing this, the use of the digger is not silly, the SCA have been cutting a channel round the bow bulb so the current can flow round it and scour away the sand.

Last edited:

BurnitBlue

Visit site
!
During Desert Storm the canal was closed for many days to allow US nuclear carriers to transit on a deserted canal. Merchant ships were anchored in Lanarka bay waiting. I was in the "cuckoos nest" the local bar telling this guy who was an engine room engineer willing to listen to my engine problems on my boat in the marina. Water in the sump oil. "Mmmm" he said "lets take a look. I'm bored stiff". So off we went to my boat. "Mmmm" he said. "Got any block and tackle" So he took the engine out a heavy 4 cylinder MD21. Mmmm, got any tools, so he took the cylinder head off. Mmmm then took the sump off, looks like an indenor(?) Block. You need new piston rings. Quicker to buy four new pistons as well. Nip down to the peugeot dealer and get the parts. They use indenor blocks. I will be back tomorrow. Amazing they were in stock so next day he turns up changes the pistons and oil seals. Puts the engine back, reconnects all the bits gearbox, shaft, electrics. Quick start up OK. I forced some money on him. He walked back to the Cuckoos nest.

The point I want to make is that he was the most knowledgable engine man I had ever met. He handled that engine as if he designed it himself. Totally competant. Two days and I had an almost new engine. Since then I have met a few engine room engineers and they all were extremely competant. With thay same competance in my field of Electronics they would have been paid a fortune.
Forgot to mention, the fault was in the replaceable cylinder sleeves and the "O" rings whatever they were. He replaced them at the same time. Absolutely amazing.