Studland Eco moorings will cost you this year

lustyd

Visit site
And maybe those seahorses are happier.
Seahorses are thriving at Haslar marina in their purpose built habitats under the pontoons. It was never about seahorses.

The seagrass bed remains unaffected, but is now counted towards "net zero" as a carbon sink (even though it's carbon neutral and methane positive).

B27

Visit site
Yep, fantastic sail from Weymouth to Studland yesterday and equally brilliant today from Studland to Newtown. A "brewers tide" tonight, so off to t' pub.

If we're still here and you have a mo, it'd be nice to say hi - otherwise, enjoy the celebrations.

Only 14 miles to go to complete the UK/ ROI circumnavigation!
Have the caulkheads been thrown out of the UK again?

Bristolfashion

Visit site
We’ll be in Clamerkin lake about 11.30. Fairly sure you’ll recognise us, the name being a foot high on the outriggers as well. You’ll have to wave stupidly or give us a clue.
Light Blue boat with red rowing tender and "Bahari" in big letters either side! Fairly distinctive.

We're on the moorings up towards Shalfleet quay.

Although, waving stupidly is one of my few skills!😀

Bristolfashion

Visit site
Seahorses are thriving at Haslar marina in their purpose built habitats under the pontoons. It was never about seahorses.

The seagrass bed remains unaffected, but is now counted towards "net zero" as a carbon sink (even though it's carbon neutral and methane positive).t
Hate to be picky, but that last post didn't say it was about the seahorses, it said "maybe those seahorses are happier". Seahorses live on sea grass and it's quite possible (hence "maybe") that the eco moorings make life a bit better for them than anchoring.

I still can't work out, out of the thousands of anchoring spots removed for moorings, cables, pipelines, pontoons and all the rest, why this tiny corner gives you the irrits?

oldharry

Visit site
Er, I've done a lot of reading around this subject and I'm happy for the experiment to continue - from memory, the University of Southampton is doing some research and their conclusions will be interesting.

I feel fortunate not to have the irrits!
Then you should, as if you had followed the Studland debate in depth as I have since 2008, working with MMO for some years on Studland , you would know that the NE reports are over 95% assumption, theory and opinion, and not on scientific data and facts. Worse, they ignore other far more serious threats such as nitrate pollution which I have repeatedly tried to draw their attention to - confirmed in 2016 by researchers from Swansea Uni, and the near loss of a large area of eelgrass in 2015. Swansea found one of the worst nitrate pollution levels in the country in Studland. You wont find any of that mentioned anywhere though in Studland literature. it doesnt fit the PC Conservation objectives laid down by NE.

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
Light Blue boat with red rowing tender and "Bahari" in big letters either side! Fairly distinctive.

We're on the moorings up towards Shalfleet quay.

Although, waving stupidly is one of my few skills!😀
The birthday girl is already there, but she's not an early riser. If we’ve a bit of time to kill, we’ll take a small detour up your way. Wind is light, tide against us, but we have our new code 0 to play with.

Tranona

Visit site
Er, I've done a lot of reading around this subject and I'm happy for the experiment to continue - from memory, the University of Southampton is doing some research and their conclusions will be interesting.

I feel fortunate not to have the irrits!
Pleased you enjoyed your overnight on the buoy in Studland. They are well placed for a stop on passage. However, those of us who have known and used the bay for more years than we care to think about regret the loss of amenity based of a lie - I can use this word as it is common now particularly in political dialogue. That is what it is as oldharry explains. I would not place too much credence on anything that comes out of the university you mention as it was a primary source of the original "lie" about seagrass.

We are currently having a sort of low key debate in our club about the water quality in our marina as we may shortly be under pressure to comply with the legislation on run off that applies to commercial marinas. My concern is that any serious survey will find seahorses. There are more seahorses observed in port installations than have ever been observed in the seagrass in Studland. It is a very hostile environment for them and there is zero evidence that it is a breeding ground (let alone a "major" one) as claimed at one point.

PS also pleased you enjoyed Newtown and the New Inn. Gives me an incentive to get my boat finished so that I can do the same next year

Bristolfashion

Visit site
I would not place too much credence on anything that comes out of the university you mention as it was a primary source of the original "lie" about seagrass.
That's kind of a reverse fallacy of expertise - surely the correct approach is to examine the research in detail, rather than assuming based on past experience.

I've certainly been wrong in the past, but it doesn't mean I'll always be wrong.

Bristolfashion

Visit site
PS also pleased you enjoyed Newtown and the New Inn. Gives me an incentive to get my boat finished so that I can do the same next year
Presumably the National Trust grabbed the anchoring in Newtown Creek at some time, installed their moorings and now fleece visitors £24 a pop. There seems to be no reason to have done this other than commerce - but no widespread wailing and gnashing of teeth.

The replacement of part of a free anchoring facility by a free (if you choose) mooring facility seems trivial by comparison.

Seven Spades

Visit site
Presumably the National Trust grabbed the anchoring in Newtown Creek at some time, installed their moorings and now fleece visitors £24 a pop. There seems to be no reason to have done this other than commerce - but no widespread wailing and gnashing of teeth.

The replacement of part of a free anchoring facility by a free (if you choose) mooring facility seems trivial by comparison.
Well it isn't because the weight limit on the moorings is too low for many boats and quite a few have been pulled out of the sea bed. They should have installed traditional moorings like those in Salcombe that can take multiple boats rafted.

lustyd

Visit site
I would not place too much credence on anything that comes out of the university you mention as it was a primary source of the original "lie" about seagrass.
Also their "research" is bought and paid for by parties with vested interests, and the continuation of that funding is contingent upon the desired outcomes. As a manager of mine used to say, if you hire a witch hunter they will find you a witch.
Yes, that was also unfortunate. It was different though in that they weren't hiding behind bogus research to capture a public resource. Studland isn't a harbour, and the bogus research didn't even have a clear and transparent aim, it was just whatever was necessary to secure the area. The fact that we're interchangeably talking about seahorses, sea grass and carbon capture demonstrates how flexible the approach has been despite seahorses not being endangered, sea grass having expanded over the years, and sea grass having a net negative impact on climate change through anaerobic processes which create methane when it's buried in the seabed and decays. Literally none of the stated goals are genuine, nor are they helped by closing off the bay.

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
Who needs a boat over 10 tonnes anyway?😀
Clearly not us, as you may shortly see. But we are pretty careful about what we pick up, as despite being just 2 tons, we are high windage and dance around a mooring buoy in a quite alarming fashion. Whilst I see nothing wrong with TPTB kindly saving me the trouble of anchoring in Studland, the hanging implication that sooner or later they will patrol them and extort money is another thing. It’s the open sea, do we not have a right to navigate it as we see fit? Newtown is owned by the NT, just as Beaulieu river is owned by Lord Montague. They are therefore at liberty to charge. The NT still permit anchoring, so their charge is a non issue. If you want a mooring, and are willing to pay, no prob.

Bristolfashion

Visit site
Clearly not us, as you may shortly see. But we are pretty careful about what we pick up, as despite being just 2 tons, we are high windage and dance around a mooring buoy in a quite alarming fashion. Whilst I see nothing wrong with TPTB kindly saving me the trouble of anchoring in Studland, the hanging implication that sooner or later they will patrol them and extort money is another thing. It’s the open sea, do we not have a right to navigate it as we see fit? Newtown is owned by the NT, just as Beaulieu river is owned by Lord Montague. They are therefore at liberty to charge. The NT still permit anchoring, so their charge is a non issue. If you want a mooring, and are willing to pay, no prob.
I know that I bang on about this to the point of extreme tedium, but in comparison to Studland, a huge area of prime anchoring around these shores has been removed for moorings, pipes, cables, pontoons, seafood production etc and no-one cares.

If you read old pilot books and look where there used to be good anchoring, now unavailable, it's rather shocking.

As to the right to navigate the open sea, try going through a live firing zone - or get directed away from a sub by the cops. As for fish farms!

As for Beaulieu river being private because a king gave a "common good" to some monks ages ago, and then some bloke picked it up for the song 'cos the church wouldn't let another king get his leg over, I'm not a fan. Return it to the "common good" I say.

Tranona

Visit site
That's kind of a reverse fallacy of expertise - surely the correct approach is to examine the research in detail, rather than assuming based on past experience.

I've certainly been wrong in the past, but it doesn't mean I'll always be wrong.
30 years of living and working in that environment. If the "research" has been commissioned by NE it will likely be worded in a way that leads to the answer it wants. This story is littered with sound independent research that goes against the prevailing beliefs and it is all firmly rejected. The best example is the Seven Stars project that compared the effects of anchoring in two test sites, one a no anchoring zone. Essentially no difference. That was very difficult for the believers that anchoring has a negative impact on seagrass health to accept so was ignored.

You are right about all the other things that have been done that genuinely have negative impacts which just demonstrates how much policy is influenced by small groups of focused people who use the press to pursue their cause in a way that drowns out all opposition.

Bristolfashion

Visit site
Although they may ask you to leave, they will stop firing until you're clear so this is a poor example since it is entirely possible and legal to navigate through ranges.
So, if you call MOD Pendine (as is required)and they strongly request you not to enter, you'd bash on through to assert your "freedom of navigation"?😀

And how is this different to dropping your anchor in the voluntary "no anchor" zone in Studland - which is also "entirely legal and possible", although probably less dangerous?

If you are of an adventurous nature, you could test naval resolve by attempting to enter or leave Portsmouth harbour when it is closed for navy shipping movements - or maybe get in for a close look at a submarine in the Clyde (we were redirected and it didn't seem that optional). You've got "freedom of navigation" right?

Out of interest, elsewhere in the world (such as Australia) there are legally closed military areas whilst manoeuvres are occurring - an unlit helicopter "materialised" above my mate one night when he ignored the restriction. The warning over the radio that warships were conducting unlit "dark" manoeuvres at high speed and with sudden changes in direction really gave him the willys. Be extremely careful about this "freedom of navigation" overseas.