Storing ones Furniture

PlanB

Visit site
Originally, we put everything in store because, as someone else said, we didn't know how long we'd be away. It was our first venture and we may have said "sell the boat" after Biscay!
As it turned out we stayed away for over 12 years. Then the OH died and, after two years in the Med on my own, I decided to come back. Some bits of valued furmiture were useful, but the small stuff I just didn't want to re-use after all that time. Fresh pastures, and all that. So it all went, like a house clearance.
Three years on, I'm glad I have my "history" and sometimes I wish I had one or two of the things I let go.
But I'm in a different place now, and had We let everything go before we left, I'd be no worse off - and possible the cost of storage better off.

name

Visit site
I'm in a slightly different situation but still I'm choosing to put stuff into storage. I did this when after being made redundant when working in America, but then hoping to go back to work for another company. Going back didn't happen so I shipped my stuff back to teh UK. Although I did wonder why I kept some stuff, much of it was because I didn't have time to sort everything out. But on the whole most was worth keeping. There were personal effects, old books and ornaments, garage tools (I'm otherwise keen on classic cars & motorcycles) and even my American king-size bed - which has always been especially comfortable. Even that preserved untouched as I had wrapped and sealed it in heavy gauge polythene ..and that despite storage in New Orleans' humidity for three years.

But I'm now coming on to mid-60's in years and alone ..and cannot realistically anticipate sailing off for more than 10 - 15 years ..before I return to a quiet land-lubber life and my shore-based hobbies and interests. Staying on a boat for months at a time is very diffferent to living on one 52 weeks a year and wintering on one, so perhaps I'll just not get on with the lifestyle. Even barring injury, illness, or a partial disability - I'm working on the assumption that it'll more likely to be 10 years, and then I think it quite likely that I'll be retiring to Portugal, Croatia, or a Greek Island. That's pertinent insomuch as I'll be putting things into storage now ..and then the whole storage unit can be shipped to where I chose to live. So today I'm shopping for an as new (one-trip) 20ft container, which I'll first insulate from humidity and then pack with glazed bookcases and a few better pieces of furniture - they'll be the basis of 'racking' for books, collections and other personal effects, but then I will also be packing two motorcycles and my garage / workshop tools.

I did look at cutting my losses and starting with nothing but what I might carry in my 30ft boat, where even then there's a real risk of moisture damage ..if not total loss. Instead I'm going with a container. The values of those classic motorcycles and the tools / equipment helps justify the cost of storage (..it's probable the old bikes will appreciate in value). But tbh I was also facing an impasse, insomuch as I just couldn't just throw everything away. Attachments were stopping me from move on. From the pictures on my home's walls to family stuff, to rare or otherwise old but interesting books magazines and papers - they mean a lot to me.

I realised that the cost of storing stuff isn't in direct proportion to it's value nor even to its volume, ie. a 20ft container is not double the cost of 10ft container. But then a 20ft container is much cheaper to transport across Europe than a 40ft container which needs an articulated lorry.

I also reason that a new and 5-year plated container will cost me £2240 inc vat. whereas a well used and only plated for one year container will cost £1860 (..both are today's price from the same company). But in five years time I'll quite likely be able to sell my un-battered and insulated container for £1500, so the loss in value is quite reasonable. Yes I will have the ground rent to park my container on. I've now found a yard in the countryside at £60 pcm. £720 per annum will add up over five years, but against this there's convenience of being able to use it as a workshop too, and then picking it up (already packed) to move. And the cost of replacement (of anything) rarely gets less than what you have already.

I also know that I'll just love unpacking it all and sorting through 'stuff ', recalling fond memories ..and all that sentimental stuff in five or ten years time.

In short - it's not just about values. For me at least sailing away will be an adventure and an episode in my life, and along the way I'm sure I'll find somewhere and a welcoming community I really like. Perhaps they will allow me to stay and call it home. Who knows where or when that will be ?

However, if I had a home that I wanted to come back to, then I'd most probably secure one back bedroom for the better furniture, half the loft space (inside your house will be dry) for other personal effects, and then internally partition off 2ft of the garage length for a bike and garage tools / equipment. The other motorcycle I could loan to a museum or leave in safekeeping with a friend. ie., all the 'stuff' doesn't need to be in one space.

Food for thought perhaps.? We're all different and so one man's solution is not necessary good for you.

Anyway I hope 'another opinion' helps,
Best regards, Pete.

Denek

Visit site
we Stored our stuff in an outbuilding when we lived in the US for three years. It was only a wooden structure admittedly but our biggest problem was mice. They ate into quite a lot of boxes even though most were plastic. We left some furniture in the house when it was rented out and most of that was trashed too. The tenants did a runner owing rent. Never again. I would put sentimental things into storage ( preferably with a relative) and get rid of the rest.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
I had two spinster academic first cousins three times removed who lived together. They had a wonderful view of furniture, bought cheap and threw away.

I have a box of matches you can have.