Stopping mould growing on untreated teak

Oscarpop

Visit site
After spending the day cleaning the teak with teak cleaner, I now have a deck free of those little black mould spots.
Is there anyrhing I can put on the teak that will inhibit mould growth?

Bear in mind it has to be available in supermarkets or simple hardware stores. We are in the Caribbean and here is little available in the chandlers .

Cheers

Grumpybear

Visit site
After spending the day cleaning the teak with teak cleaner, I now have a deck free of those little black mould spots.
Is there anyrhing I can put on the teak that will inhibit mould growth?

Bear in mind it has to be available in supermarkets or simple hardware stores. We are in the Caribbean and here is little available in the chandlers .

Cheers

Patio Magic is the UK product. There must be equivalents.

pvb

Visit site
If local sourcing is your problem, look in the shops for mould killer products which contain benzalkonium chloride, which is the main active ingredient in Patio Magic and Boracol. Don't buy mould killers which mention "hypochlorite", they're basically just bleach in a fancy bottle.

VicS

Visit site
If local sourcing is your problem, look in the shops for mould killer products which contain benzalkonium chloride, which is the main active ingredient in Patio Magic and Boracol. Don't buy mould killers which mention "hypochlorite", they're basically just bleach in a fancy bottle.
Not necessarily a fancy bottle!

Big-Bang1

Visit site
It's another vote for patio magic, it's great on wood....and GRP.......and Spray hood and spray dodgers.........and the inside of dinghy that lives on the river.......and the non slip plastic tread on our boarding ladder.

Quandary

Visit site
The thing about Patio Magic on teak is that the effect is not immediate, it can take several weeks before you notice that the teak is white all over, up here in wet and humid Scotland an application lasts 3-4 years ( though we cover our decks in winter, so 2 years might be a more normal time to next application). We bought our last boat new in 2007 and within 2 years we had darks spots showing, one container of Patio Magic has lasted since, applied lightly and diluted, about every 3 years with a garden sprayer to a dry deck and allowed to dry in. Since we started using it we have virtually stopped washing the decks other than lashing a couple of buckets of sea water over it to shift the crumbs and dog hairs. The elkhide wheel leather gets a wee spray at the same time. strangely it seems to be less effective on the hardwood steps to the sail loft.

Sea Q

Visit site
benzalkonium chloride We put a small amount of the chemical in or "Sea Solve" Boat wash to control the green algae and molds www.gemini-ltd.com this is not just an ordinary boat wash it also neutralizes salt like "salt away" and when you rinse it off there will be no suds in water (we have the cruise ships in Canada testing it this year.)
I can't see where one user of patio magic lasts so long after a couple of rains it would wash off
It is available in Florida and are, trying to get it into Budget Marine in your area
here is a link to dealers world wide---

www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&authuser=0&mid=1KuALBdPKo1RtfsehawTf2lu_rB

Stay away from any product with a PH higher than 11 it will cause the cell membranes of the teak to break down.