Stick to boats - my experience with Ryanair

Sybarite

Visit site
I have been away for the last week and thought that I would vent my bile on you poor scuttlebutters. My experience with RyanAir

I needed to return home to see my aging Mother in N.Ireland. I look up the Ryanair site and find return flights : Beauvais – Dublin – Beauvais for €37.98. Fantastic! However, add on the taxes and this becomes €65.61 – still excellent value. But then there is € 5 for a euro handling charge - hey what’s this ? France and Ireland are both Euro zone countries. OK naughty but what the heck. In France it would be illegal ( Ryanair is not a financial establishment and therefore cannot charge credit card costs to the customer) but where, territorially speaking, does the internet transaction take place?

I turn up at Beauvais with a passport that is three months out of date but with a valid French ID card and driving license. I have previously been informed by the UK authorities that there is a toleration period of one year after the passport expiry date. The counter clerk hesitates, checks my documents with her supervisor and gets the OK. End of story ?

Oh but no… on the return journey I am refused entry to the plane. I mention that my overdue passport was accepted on the way out with no indication that it would not be accepted on the return. They tell me that they cannot refuse to allow a person to return home. I told them that I am not from the Republic of Ireland and it is not my home. They tell me that the French authorities would refuse me entry. I have travelled many times on overdue passports in the past and know this to be patently untrue. All they do is suggest that one renews it quickly.

I told them about my Carte de Séjour - my French ID card - and they said that this was only a carte de residence which potentially allowed me to reside in France and gave no proof that I was actually residing there. They were not interested in the fact that the payment was by a French credit card drawn on a French bank or any of the various other proofs that I had with me : eg cheque book with my French address on it.

I told them that I did not need a card to indicate that I had the right of residence as this was enshrined in European law and so the card I had was a French identity card (acceptable under their - Ryanair's own rules). This was also what I showed a gendarme if he asked to check my identity. To no avail.

I pointed out that all flights were cancelled for the following day (air controllers’ strike in France).and that it was too late at this stage to get flight with another company. They said that they would only rebook me on another flight if renewed my passport in Dublin. However the passport authority would only issue me with an urgent passport if I had the ticket to show the departure date. Earliest possibility of a flight booking was Friday provided I paid an additional €60!! – and two nights in a hotel at Dublin rates.

When I invoked the (serious) possibility of going by boat the counter hostess had the bloody cheek to tell me “There is no need to be smart …”

The end result. So as not to be blocked indefinitely in Dublin, I fly Aer Lingus to London (€89.95) spend the night there with my sister and get the Eurostar back today ( Single fare = £149 Return fare = …£149). On checking through French immigration at Waterloo, the French controller smiles and suggests I get my passport renewed…. I check by phone with Ryanair at Beauvais to see whether the coaches are still running from Paris to Beauvais – which they confirm. My car was still at the airport. After struggling with my cases across Paris (no chance of a taxi with the strikes) I arrive at the bus depot to find no coaches in point of fact are running. So finally find a taxi to Beauvais at €150.

From the original € 38.98 I therefore end up with a bill in excess of €550. BLOODY RYANAIR! Throughout, there was absolutely no sense of compromise, of trying to find an acceptable solution or any indication that they understood or cared for the consequences of obliging somebody to miss a flight with an impending strike. I suppose the attitude is that with their prices they don’t have to give a fig for the client.

It's late which doesn't improve my humour.

Back to boats

John.

<hr width=100% size=1>

tcm

Visit site
Well done Ryanair

sorry, i'm with the airline. They get it in the neck if they fly passengers without a valid passport. It says "you need a passport". So, you need a passport. You just hoped that the Irish would be as slack as the French. They weren't. Get a passport and stop behaving in a french style, assuming that all formalities will eventually melt away, specially around lunchtime. Update any other docs. 330 quid all in return ain't too bad anyway, so no need to moan. All imho :)

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Re: Well done Ryanair

Me too. Anyone travelling on a passport three months out of date deserves all the hassle he gets.

Commenting on the original title of the post, I suspect you would have had a hell of a lot more problems arriving in France without a passport by boat. There is a big drive in many European countries to prevent illegal entry and whereas arriving by air implies a certain amount of disposable income and regularity, arriving by boat doesn't. People are regularly fined quite heavily for only having a photocopy of the boat's purchase documents, so it must be the Bastille at least for no passport.

<hr width=100% size=1>

oldharry

Visit site

Think you've got problems? Well you really asked for it travelling without a valid Passport. Bored officials just LOVE people like you: you are just asking to make their day at your expense trying that one on! Some parts of the world you would still be sitting in jail wondering what the hell happens next. In any case, even within the EU, carriers can get it in the neck for carrying passengers without a valid ID, particularly in this age of potential terrorism. Strikes me you were pretty lucky to have got home without a whole heap more trouble and expense than you had.

I know of someone who was kept waiting 3 days at a border crossing: all his papers were in order, everything spot on - the problem? he could not speak the local lingo.....

I made the same crossing a few weeks later - also not speaking the local lingo. I was lucky, only held up 7 hours.
'If I gow to Enklant - I am learnink to spek ze enklish - so vot zey tich you in enklish skuls?'

'Er... English....?' It was 4 hours before they came back to me. The worrying bit was when he drew his sidearm.

And yes it was on mainland Europe.

<hr width=100% size=1>

DepSol

Visit site
You can do this if your passport is in date when you leave but out of date when you return as long as it hasnt lapsed for over 6 months. You shouldnt travel out on a out of date passport IMHO.

Oh well at that cost I am sure you wont do it again. Bit unlucky but immigration have to be tight these days.

<hr width=100% size=1>Dom

2003 is going to be a good year for me

Gunfleet

Visit site

<<so it must be the Bastille at least for no passport>>
You're going to send him to a tube station?

<hr width=100% size=1>

david_e

www.touraine.blogspot.com
You have my sympathy, if all the other operators and ports, tunnels, ferries etc were watertight then I would side with the airline, but they are not. I have learnt my Ryanair lesson on a business trip from Manchester/Dublin last year so I now know to take my photo ID. As my colleague was with me, he did the biz so it didn't affect me in a revenge type way ie I think Ryanair are generally OK from a consumer perspective.

The purpose of their ID check is to confirm that you are who you say you are as part of them protecting themselves, their aeroplanes, their passengers etc from terrorist attacks and the movement of terrorists around the world. This is all post Sept 11.

Not sure what your French pass looks like but the fact that they let you on the outbound and all these other ID checks you had indicates a complete lack of tolerance on their part.

Where Ryanair fall down is their appraoch to people and this includes their attitude to their own employees, it is a cavalier approach and the company would be better for changing it. Their arrogant and patronising approach to customers will not stand the test of time, they are not so popular with the Irish public, and I see this as their potential undoing in the future. Good manners cost nothing.

You should complain, long and loud, and attempt to gain redress for your inconvenience.

<hr width=100% size=1>

pandroid

www.kissen.co.uk
Agree with this. As someone who once tried to get into Holland with a credit card, I've got no sympathy with the Passport story - you took a risk and paid the price. I just wish Ryanair could be cheerful as well as cheap. Their arrogance will get them back one day.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Peppermint

Home in Chilterns, Boat in Southampton, Another bo
Visit site
Europe gets you into bad habits.

I travel by ferry & yacht to France & Holland a fair bit. The onus for passport checking prior to travel is very much on the carrier now days, with big penalties for errors that low cost carriers particularly don't like. Only the UK seems big on Civil Servants checking your passport on entry and exit. Though even here the exit check is dying out.

In the last 2 years I have never showed my passport to a French or Dutch immigration official or customs man. I know it's different at airports.

You can drive across EU countries boarders at 80mph so no checks there then.

You were lucky that Customs didn't pull you, and look at your passport. on the way in to UK. It might have been rubber gloves time.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
Should have kept your passport in your pocket

Being an Anglo-French family, Madame and les sprogs have each got two passports and a French Carte d'identité. All they ever show at airports for intra-EU travel is the Carte. Never a problem.

<hr width=100% size=1>

DavidBolger

www.ladyrowena.net
I think you or an idiot (or eejit as you were in Dublin) and arrogant and obnoxious.

Idiot - Passports have an expiry date on them for a reason. If they were valid for one year after the expiry date, whats the point of the expiry date?

Arrogant and Obnoxious - You are travelling in a foreign country and you expect them to abide by your French documents. Would the French customs accept your Conrad na Gaelige membership card?

Ryanair provide a good service at their terms for a cheap price. Abide by their rules and you get the cheap price. You choose to ignore their rule for a valid passport. Their arrogance won't catch up on them just like it hasn't caught on the French all these years.

<hr width=100% size=1>

snooks

www.grahamsnook.com
Got my hopes up...

I was all set for a whinge at Ryanair and your post was about traveling on an out of date passport....ho hum

btw last year I took 6 flights with Ryanair in one month, not one of them left or arrived on time, I'm not talking minutes I'm taking hours, the longest was 5 hours late the shortest was 45 mins, on average they were well over an hour late.

My luggage was left outside on trolleys, uncovered in very heavy rain (asked a guy from RA to ask someone to pull the covers over when the rain started) an hour later it was still raining like monsoon season...my cameras were in a waterproof flight case, my clothes were not!

I've had to wait 1 1/2 hours for bagage to be returned, because my flight was late the handlers weren't expecting the plane.

The planes are tatty the staff don't give a fig

They are the only airline ever to charge me excess baggage

Sometimes they are not that cheap

Oh well didn't turn out too bad, managed to get my rant in eventually :)

<hr width=100% size=1>

extravert

Not far from Uwchmynydd, near Bwlchtocyn, just up
Visit site
Re: Got my hopes up...

Bringing a bit of boatyness into this thread...

My newly purchased boat is from Sweden. I've been on a few flights there and back, all by Ryanair. I agree that they are a bit rough round the edges and are often delayed, but I would still rather that than pay BA or SAS prices.

My flights to Sweden from UK cost £10-£30. A decade ago the big carriers would have charged me many hundreds of pounds for those flights, and probably put me off considering buying a boat from Scandinavia. Also I now have a prosepective purchaser coming to view my old boat from Denmark, also flying Ryanair. Would he have come if the return flight was £500? Although in some aspects cheap carriers could do better, I suspect these cheap flights have opened up the international boat market somewhat, and that's got to be good for us.

<hr width=100% size=1>Adventures of the <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.xrayted.fsnet.co.uk>Teddy Bear Boat</A>

Gordonmc

Visit site
I had friends from London up in Scotland for Christmas and New year. They booked a flight Standstead to Prestwick with Ryanair... then realised they couldn't produce their passports because the UK home office had them for visa renewal.
The airline made it clear they would not be able to travel on national identity cards (He is dual UK Bahraini, she is Argentinian).
They came by train. The point is that they were aware of the rules and made their arrangements accordingly.
Ryanair and the rest of the no-frills lines have made domestic and short-haul flying affordable for many for the first time. An example - it's now cheaper for me to have a blow out lunch in Charleroi or Beauvais than it is in Glasgow.
When there have been problems at check-in I have always been impressed at how the staff try and get round them.
For the record the worst short-haul flight I ever experienced was from London to Strasbourg - on Air France.

<hr width=100% size=1>

snooks

www.grahamsnook.com

I don't dislike cheap airlines, just Ryanair :-D tee he

Easyjet are far better IMHO, the staff are usually happy, there's usually a joke or two in the safety announcement, and usually on time, tho I've had 1 flight cancelled and the flight earlier this week was delayed by 2 1/2 hours, but the plane was clean and smart and I got home, eventually! :) You can change your flight for £10 + the difference, Ryanair just keep yer money...

They charged £545 for 2 flights to turin/genoa, but when the italian boat manufacture phoned back minutes after booking to say that the boat had to be in Genoa a day earlier, we lost the £545 and had to shell out another £545 for flights a day earlier. The most I've paid Easyjet was £141 for a flight the same morning, the out bound flight cost me £37 to Palma

Thanks to the cheap airlines the Med is now a viable place to keep a boat for all year round cruising - got a boaty bit in at last :)

<hr width=100% size=1>

Metabarca

Visit site
Border denial...passport ok.

Here in sunny Italy, it's not enough to have a current passport to get out of the country... An Italian friend of mine was turned back at the Slovene border because he hadn't paid his 'bollo', an annual stamp duty of about 25 squids for the privilege of having a passport (he didn't have his id card with him). No good claiming that the passport is valid even though the tax hasn't been paid (which it is). Not when you're staring down the pointy end of a machine gun with a guy in shades at t'other end. And no "sorry, sir" either...

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.comoy.com/saillinks.html>http://www.comoy.com/saillinks.html</A><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Metabarca on 04/04/2003 13:00 (server time).</FONT></P>

colvic

Visit site

Am I right in saying which one, for isn't there one at both ends?

Phil

<hr width=100% size=1>

DavidBolger

www.ladyrowena.net

British special forces have this morning reported the successful takeover of Baghdad airport. However further inspection by journalists of the lack of ground staff and no open services or shops revealed it to be the Ryanair baghdad airport. British troops have in fact landed 400 miles south of Baghdad but will avail of the feeder bus that leaves from Mohammed O'Kellys Irish bar every day at 6pm

<hr width=100% size=1>

sailbadthesinner

Visit site
my mate got refused a domestic flight for forgetting his photo id yesterday by easyjet
so had to get the first one the next morning

<hr width=100% size=1><font color=red>I can't walk on water, but I do run on Guinness</font color=red>