Steam clean textured fibreglass

SimonNZ

Visit site
Our deck floors are finely textured non-slip gelcoat, and are hard to clean.

I was thinking about using a small steam cleaner with a stiff brush, has anyone tried something like that?

cheers

Last edited:

MADRIGAL

Visit site
Green Scotchbrite pad and hull cleaner, then wiped off with a wet cloth works well on my textured GRP deck and cockpit sole.

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
A pressure washer does a good job on mine, but others have had problems with it damaging the texturing. It hasn't done so on mine, and I think it depends on the nature of the original moulding, but it certainly cleans the surface very well and very quickly.

SimonNZ

Visit site
Good to know it's working for some! I've found 50/50 recommendation searching around, hence asking here. With a gentle start and not too much pressure, in a small area, I was hoping to try it at least.

Great to get other approaches too. Every time I try and clean it, I remind myself to ask how others do!

lustyd

Visit site
Spray on some patio magic and go home for a week, far better results than any scrubbing will achieve in most instances and way less effort. If that fails then oxalic acid and if that fails fairy liquid and a brush.

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
It's a really good way to find voids in the gelcoat - I blew a couple of holes in the surface of a friend's boat like that!
Well, I'd regard such voids as faults, so maybe it's a good idea they were found so they could be fixed ;);)

More seriously, that's obviously a problem as repairing textured GRP surfaces is doable, but requires the right tools for the job, the right tool being a skilled and experienced craftsperson!

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
If you have a Bunnings in NZ or even if not look for "Diggers Stain remover" a powder a bit like but not oxalic acid. Mix with water paint it on then hose off. I love it ol'will
Pretty certain Diggers rust and stain remover is oxalic acid based.

Oxalic acid will remove rust and brighten discoloured GDP but won't do anything for grime, sooty/oily deposits.
Patio magic or other BAC based products are great for algae, mold and similar. No use for grime etc. either.

I used to needle jet my old Southerly 95's deck, then pour hot water over the deck and brush on warm oxalic acid solution. Oxalic works rapidly at 20C and reaction rate drops off a cliff below 10C. I sometimes cleaned with detergent first if it was very dirty after winter storage.

I fixed a few small dings caused by dropping something. Just used plasticine on nearby areas to make a mould and pressed it on top of a small amount of GRP gelcoat.