Stealth UK Liveaboards with Cars

Mino

Have nicked the Tardis, so could be anywhere
Visit site
Any of you out there?

I'm boat hunting and plan to initially stay where the future boat is currently moored before moving to a liveaboard freindly marina.

However, I'm unsure as to whether it would be better to store the car for about four months, possibly longer, or take it to the marina, but I'm assuming they won't take kindly to it being there every day?

Thoughts?

Last edited:

PlanB

Visit site
Depends on the marina - many of the car parks are at a distance from the office so no-one would notice.
However, see the comments in response to your other post about trying to liveaboard in UK.

Minerva

Visit site
I think your main obstacle will be around obtaining & maintaining a valid insurance policy on the car if you’re living aboard!

AndrewB

Visit site
It would be insured at my current address, then I'll update the address to a mailing service for a few months, then to the marina.
Of course, you know the insurance premium is set according to your home address, and if you aren't living there, with the assumption the car is normally kept there, the insurance is technically invalidated. Giving a mailing service address does not sound like a good idea. I had trouble with this one, but eventually found a local insurer willing to accept a car being normally kept at the marina.

Mino

Visit site
Of course, you know the insurance premium is set according to your home address, and if you aren't living there, with the assumption the car is normally kept there, the insurance is technically invalidated. Giving a mailing service address does not sound like a good idea. I had trouble with this one, but eventually found a local insurer willing to accept a car being normally kept at the marina.
Good point. Forgot that amidst everything!

laika

Visit site
Of course, you know the insurance premium is set according to your home address, and if you aren't living there, with the assumption the car is normally kept there, the insurance is technically invalidated.

Don't most insurers have an option to state another address where the vehicle is normally kept and you get charged the higher of that location and your home address? I confess I've never really explored this.

One thing to consider: marinas are by the sea. The air is salty. I had a motorcycle which had been pristine for nearly 20 years. a few months in a marina car park and it was riddled with rust

dankilb

Visit site
then to the marina.
This’ll be your problem. Getting your post delivered to a non-residential marina mooring is typically not possible (maybe for the odd letter - but not for something like a contract or insurance - parcels are usually easier, sometimes even us non-council-tax-avoiders need parts!).

I’ve long announced my opinion that we are too indulgent with wannabe liveaboards on here. A post that at once proposes hiding an otherwise anonymous car - and then getting the insurance for said car delivered to the marina a few months later - suggest a complete separation from the reality of doing this in the UK.

I’m pro-liveaboard, young(ish), and otherwise supportive. But the seemingly cluelessness of the potential liveaboards that post on here provoke me to react negatively (by which I mean realistically).

Mino

Visit site
Don't most insurers have an option to state another address where the vehicle is normally kept and you get charged the higher of that location and your home address? I confess I've never really explored this.

One thing to consider: marinas are by the sea. The air is salty. I had a motorcycle which had been pristine for nearly 20 years. a few months in a marina car park and it was riddled with rust
I have to admit, re. the rust, I've been worried about exactly that, hence considering storage, possibly even selling it, which would be a last resort as I'd rather not.

V1701

Visit site

Yes I do this - use brother's address & car is kept at marina, you really have to keep on top of keeping anything be it bicycle, motorbike or car, clean and lubricated properly and most importantly, used regularly...

Star-Lord

Visit site
Any of you out there?

I'm boat hunting and plan to initially stay where the future boat is currently moored before moving to a liveaboard freindly marina.

However, I'm unsure as to whether it would be better to store the car for about four months, possibly longer, or take it to the marina, but I'm assuming they won't take kindly to it being there every day?

Thoughts?
I lived aboard (unofficially but with a ship shape boat they travelled) in Brighton and you get a parking permit for the marina area and underground parking (if there is space). Last time I was there was 2014 so things may have changed. But most marinas will have parking and as long as you ‘travlel’ all should be good?

Kubcat

Visit site
This’ll be your problem. Getting your post delivered to a non-residential marina mooring is typically not possible (maybe for the odd letter - but not for something like a contract or insurance - parcels are usually easier, sometimes even us non-council-tax-avoiders need parts!).

I’ve long announced my opinion that we are too indulgent with wannabe liveaboards on here. A post that at once proposes hiding an otherwise anonymous car - and then getting the insurance for said car delivered to the marina a few months later - suggest a complete separation from the reality of doing this in the UK.

I’m pro-liveaboard, young(ish), and otherwise supportive. But the seemingly cluelessness of the potential liveaboards that post on here provoke me to react negatively (by which I mean realistically).

In Australia most companies would rather email than physical mail. Makes it pretty easy to get your mail. The ‘home’ address can be a relative or friend, as we need one of those for our drivers license.

ryanroberts

Visit site
Parcels are a no go at my home marina, but fine when I am out and about. Amazon prime is your best friend, and chat up a marina business for anything big.

Visit site
A year ago, in Premier Marina Gosport, there was a blue BMW parked for two years belonging to a resident boat owner. It had a flat tyre, no MOT, nor insurance. The Premier people knew this and didn't act so we're not bothered. Try Gosport?