starter boat

G

Hello all.
I wish to buy my first boat, initially for day trips pic-nics and pottering, and hopefully as my experience grows,to try some short cruises, across the channel or even the Irish Sea. Having a young family, my budget is quite limited (£2500 max).....I don't think that I would do much trailor sailing, and high performance is not very important to me although the ability to dry out level would be useful. I have identified two likely candidates that in theory meet my criteria...............
The leisure 17 and the Sadler Seawych 19.
But who am I to judge? Both designs seem popular with their owners,are widely available,have a strong class association, and most importantly are cheap and would I think make a good first boat. But are these boats the right type of choice? Does the 2 foot extra on the Seawych make a big difference. Are they both suitable for novices? Are they both suitable for sailing single handed?..... Are there other, more suitable boats that I have overlooked?
All contributions would be greatfully received, so as to help me select the most appropriate boat.

billmacfarlane

Visit site
The trouble with asking such a question Dave is that a lot of owners are starry eyed about their craft and therefore the answers you get from owners of the boats you mention might not be as objective as you would want them to be. If you've narrowed the field down to these 2 designs then your best bet might be to have a really good look at them in the flesh , obtain a test sail in both and see how they suit you and your needs. Tha same applies to any other boats mentioned e.g Kingfisher 20 , Hurley 22. When you say " who am I do judge ? " , you are the only one who can judge , that's why it's important for you to have a good look and possibly sail them.

cynthia

Visit site
Our very first boat was a Seawytch. Bought for the accommodation in the days when we didn't know that cruisers had different sailing performances! It was certainly sturdy, comfortable to sleep on 2 adults + 2 young children and most importantly introduced us to sailing in a big way.

Yes, I suppose I am a bit 'starry-eyed', but even so, despite its many good points it was certainly no greyhound of the sea (or even the lake, which is where we sailed at that time). I do remember it outsailing the Leisure 17, 20 and Newbridge Navs. though.

stephenk

Visit site
I was faced with a similar problem a year ago and initially I thought the same as you, ie which small boat can I get for my money. I really however decided that I wanted a boat that I would trust to get me home when the weather turned and that I would confidently take family and friends in, I only had a budget such as yourself so I bought a 1/4 share in a Centaur.
I have owned it for one year and am very pleased so far. I have been surprised how few days I actually use the boat but whenever I have wanted it it is free and you get to sail something more substantial than a trailer sailor. However its each to their own and I wish you luck with whatever you decide to do but I hope this offers you an alternative.

rex_seadog

Visit site
My first boat was also a Seawych and I agree with Cynthia that it is a tough boat with probably the best accommodation for its length, certainly roomier than the Leisure 17. That said, unless you are used to living in close confinement any boat of this size is a tight squash for more than two, especially in foul weather. Although the 'bucket and chuckit' brigade will scorn, the lack of a proper heads was always a problem for my potential crews.
The Seawych could handle any heavy weather that the crew could tolerate but you would need to plan carefully and gain experience before contemplating any long distance passages. (Yes, I know a Seawych is said to have sailed to the Azores and a Leisure 17 across the Atlantic. You should also read Shane Acton's account of his world circum-navigation in a 17 foot Caprice! The mind boggles). In terms of pure sailing performance and pleasure I believe that the Leisure 17 would give greater satisfaction but once I had learned to reef the main early to tame the Seawych's tendency to weather-helm, I enjoyed many a sail with respectable passage times.
You've probably already found the websites www.seawych.com and www.leisureowners.org. I know from experience that the SWOA is an active association and can give much useful advice even though many members have now moved up to larger boats.
There are many boats out there in this size/price category so you have really got to decide realistically what sort of sailing you want to do. Both boats you mention would be perfect for day-sailing and pottering and a perfect introduction to sailing. One caveat, however, maintenance can be time consuming and expensive - often quite out of proportion to the inital cost of the boat. So make sure you get a good one.
I can't disagree with the comments about boatshare - I've moved up in size by joining a two-way partnership - but its still nice to own your own boat. If you go for it - good luck. Get in touch if you need any further help.