STARBOAAAAAAARD!

Dipper

Visit site
Yes. I noticed that after I had posted. (I think I need to get out more).

Head more North Brendan. In 2½ hours you will probably have to drop down to 233 degrees or thereabouts and you won't make the Straits without a series of gybes**. This assumes the predicted wind is correct.

** These are different gybes to the normal ones found on these forums. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Dipper

Visit site
I know. I know. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

I'm following the wind North myself even though it is starting to drop me back a little bit in the placings although I am still gaining on the leader. It will pay back big time if the shift arrives as predicted.

Before I started curving North I picked up about 40 places in 2 hours so I am sure you will claw back quite a lot by the time you hit the Straits. This is the deceptive thing about sailing. You don't always point to your destination unlike a Mobo.

BrendanS

Visit site
Oh I know you don't point it like a Mobo (well, a planing one anyway, displacement boats which travel at sailing boat speeds, are similarly affected by wind, and especially tide).

That's why I took the gamble of going North, instead of staying with the pack leaders, as I could see where the wind predictions were going.

Still was a big gamble, as very few others took the same action, and I suspect there must be a few good sailors in amongst them.

Dipper

Visit site
Watch out! The wind is backing. I suggest you keep the TWA around minus 126 and hold your nerve.

When all those boats South of you have to gybe and cross the course close (ish) to a right angle you are going to gain places by the handful.

fireball

Visit site
Right - all set for the night .... motor on and set at 3/4 throttle .... see you boys at the finish!! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

BrendanS

Visit site
i'm going to go by gut instinct and hand steer for a bit, as it got me some very good positions in practice and early parts of the race, when I wasn't messing about and trying to board and sink Fireball! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Dipper

Visit site
Good night.

Has he gone? Good. I'll just chuck this old fishing net over the back whilst he's not looking. tee hee. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BrendanS

Visit site
It would be good fun if you could throw rope overboard, and do anything else possible to win.

Though better would be to have tides, so it was more realistic, rather than wind only, and had sail options. Though I don't want to buy them.

This race is great, and could receive a large amount of funding through advertising and sponsoring

Dipper

Visit site
It's a bit addictive. They could have sponsored buoys in the water for the advertising like in the Solent.

I might stay up all night to make sure I don't run aground. I'm now 87th and still gaining and I don't want to sacrifice that. However, I will need to gybe shortly.

Dipper

Visit site
Now 79th. I'm on a TWA of minus 138 which seems to be reeling them in.

What is also satisfying is that I am gaining on the leader as well.

fireball

Visit site
well - I didn't expect to wake up in 92nd place ... and a little course tweak and I'm in 90th and climbing ..... I think I missed the net!!

Dipper

Visit site
I was up half the night (SWMBO is away and I'm retired so I don't have to go to work tomorrow /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif). You're doing well. You have actually made ground on me and the leader overnight so you've 'sailed' well.

I have made up a little Excel spread sheet of the ybw lot so I can see what's happening. Did I just say that. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

trevorr

Visit site
Morning Dipper et al.

Up to 8th now. after negotiating the corner sat on a bus with me laptop on my knee. Was getting some very funny looks from fellow commuters as I kept shouting for water.

Trev

Dipper

Visit site
Good morning.

I've been trying to catch you all night but you seem to keep your distance. If you let me catch up, I'll pass over a cold beer.