Stainless eye bolt failure

pugwash60

Visit site
Inconveniently I lost my mast mid Atlantic, it was an eye bolt failure on the Port Lower. I’d noticed, post failure, a skim of rust on the surface of the nut below deck and had expected to see crevice corrosion on the fitting which failed mid way through the deck. The fittings are probably all original and are about 16mm diameter and from 1982.
Looking at it now it looks like it just failed with no corrosion.
What does the jury think; am I missing something on cause of failure? Should these things be Replaced every few years or was it just unlucky. I don’t see any manufacturing fault.
Hopefully picture attached.

Attachments

• FC82107C-DFF4-48BC-98D8-42B2629A483B.jpeg
    FC82107C-DFF4-48BC-98D8-42B2629A483B.jpeg
    136.1 KB · Views: 211

Lee Shaw

Visit site
Interesting. It looks like the fatigue crack was caused by single direction bending cycles as might be expected for a shroud fixing. Interesting to that fatigue cracks grow fastest in the last part of a component's life so that eye bolt has likely been cracked for a long time, IMO.

penfold

Visit site
What everyone else said; classic fatigue failure. Definitely not crevice corrosion cracking or other typical stainless steel misbehaviour.

Charlie Boy

Visit site
Inconveniently I lost my mast mid Atlantic, it was an eye bolt failure on the Port Lower. I’d noticed, post failure, a skim of rust on the surface of the nut below deck and had expected to see crevice corrosion on the fitting which failed mid way through the deck. The fittings are probably all original and are about 16mm diameter and from 1982.
Looking at it now it looks like it just failed with no corrosion.
What does the jury think; am I missing something on cause of failure? Should these things be Replaced every few years or was it just unlucky. I don’t see any manufacturing fault.
Hopefully picture attached.
You can’t leave it at that! We need more details, urgently!

JumbleDuck

Visit site
What everyone else said; classic fatigue failure. Definitely not crevice corrosion cracking or other typical stainless steel misbehaviour.
Couldn't be fatigue-ier. all right. Which I suppose leave the question of what initiated the crack. Could that have been corrosion cracking?

penfold

Visit site
There's no obvious source, although without close examination it's often not visible with the naked eye; it appears to have initiated at the root of the thread.

[185615]

Visit site
A salutory lesson to us all, a failure following some 40 years of use, a failure hidden away from our eyes, something we are all guilty of i expect.
We have been told over the years that an inspection 5 yearly/replacement 10 yearly routine is something we should all adopt where possible.

pugwash60

Visit site
Apologies for being slow to get back, I was sailing with a friend for a week.
Thanks for the replies: so fatigue failure. Pretty much my belief, I was kicking myself for not removing them prior to setting off, but suspect nothing would have shown prior to my setting off. I had; not terrible weather heading West but almost nothing good and nearly all close hauled with lots of relatively uncomfortable seas.
New mast in the process of being ordered. I set up a jury rig and sailed home there’s a blog on beaglecruises.com under ‘Nostar’ for anyone who is interested in the longer story.

gordmac

Visit site
Probably not a rolled thread. Some metals are more prone than others for fatigue and crack propagation, from memory stainless can be bad. Long time since I did any fracture mechanics.